Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and avalanche 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
I know someone who was buried by an avalanche in the Hautes-Alpes in his car, there were 4 of them in the car and buried 2 meters under snow.
Getting buried would be bad enough, but I'd worry about the car being pushed over the side of the road. The footage of the big avalanche in Zermatt earlier this year saw enough snow come down to push over a train never mind a car.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
I know someone who was buried by an avalanche in the Hautes-Alpes in his car, there were 4 of them in the car and buried 2 meters under snow.
Getting buried would be bad enough, but I'd worry about the car being pushed over the side of the road. The footage of the big avalanche in Zermatt earlier this year saw enough snow come down to push over a train never mind a car.

They were lucky they were ski tourers and had shovels in the car, they were able to dig a small tunnel that the smallest of them squeezed out of and went to get help in the nearest village.

Road is closed above Bourg St Maurice tonight direction Tignes / Val d'Isere due to the avalanche risk.
Val d'Isere and Chamonix in partial lockdown.

Risk 5 tomorrow in the Haute-Tarentaise.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The whole of the Valais, Engadin and every in between in Switzerland is risk 5 tomorrow. Heavy snow in Crans Montana today - 30cms last night and another 30 or so during the day. Raining below 900m. Temps are set to rise so will be pretty dangerous tomorrow to say the least!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, Chamonix another 30 buildings evacc’ed. Rte des Gaillands closed as are other roads...

Never seen this. Scary.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sharkymark, I’m in Saas-Fee and the access road from Stalden to the Saas Valley has been closed. Saas-Fee itself was closed and maybe won’t open until Wednesday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, Chamonix another 30 buildings evacc’ed. Rte des Gaillands closed as are other roads...

Never seen this. Scary.

1999, still at least they are evacuating buildings this time ! Shocked

if you've not read it:- http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Montroc-Avalanche
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Galtür was also 1999

http://youtube.com/v/PBxl3i8Bzro
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Galtür was also 1999

Yes, I was in Davos from November to May, fantastic season, I think we skied every day even during the big snow. We dug our cars out in April the carpark was under 2 meters of snow with just little mounds for cars.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see Galtür, Obergurgl, Ischgl and Kühtai have all lifts shut. Dachstein now has a base of 560 cm. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
Road is closed above Bourg St Maurice tonight direction Tignes / Val d'Isere due to the avalanche risk.
Val d'Isere and Chamonix in partial lockdown.

Risk 5 tomorrow in the Haute-Tarentaise.
Road to Arc 2000 also closed tonight, from 10pm until 7am, at least. I'd guess that road has been closed as much this season as the last 13 years I've had a place in Les Arcs. A remarkable season, for good and bad reasons.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All roads and rail out of Disentis are closed. Routes in the direction of Chur were closed from last night. I’m stuck here until god knows when! Rail over to Andermatt has been closed for a few days now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, thanks, yes, I had read it. I hope the lessons have been well learned.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remarkable amount of precipitations but quite warm since Christmas. In the French Alps a lot of rain over 2000 meters, not uncommon but still a lot this year. If you are in a high resort and not focussed on steep off piste and not bothered by bad weather, very good conditions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello, I would like to let the public know that in Vallorcine there are blocked tourists, because nobody speaks about that. I am completely disappointed from French Alpine Resorts as there are no information, no organization. This morning we were supposed to have flight and we were advised several times that there will be trains on Monday!!!In the morning at the hotel at 08.00 am the receptionist told us there will be trains to Martigny, at 09.00 am the officer at the Office of Tourism de Vallorcine, they told us there will be NOT trains, at 09.15 am the officer in the train station told us that there will be trains. In 2 hours we received different information. We were not sure who told us the truth and who does not tell us the truth! TOTAL LACK OF INFORMATION AND CARE FOR TOURISTS! The authorities advise not to go out, because is dangerous, BUT THE RESTAURANT IN THE HOTEL IS FERME because of no delivery of food till Wednesday, so that we are supposed to stay “home”, but no food is supplied…. Maybe the authorities wait for us to die not from avalanche, but from hunger! We have old people, who need medicines and no place to buy them. I just want to share how Switzerland is managing the situation - https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/News/liveticker . Every hour there is new official publications and information for the situation in Zermatt in their official website. They have made organization of helicopter shuttles nevertheless the resort is much bigger, and people are much more than in Vallorcine. Here we are praying to receive information and the just hope that information will be correct. There are only just 20 – 30 tourists that are left without transportation and the authorities don’t want to send a helicopter or Fire Brigade to rescue us.

I will send this information for total lack of care and information for tourists in Vallorcine to all medias all over the world to let people know about situation and next time to choose Austrian or Swiss Alps for their vacation!!!

I hope somebody to read this and help us to escape from the blockage!
snow conditions
http://www.heute.at/welt/news/story/-Lauf-lauf-lauf-----Lawine-hautnah-gefilmt-45695018
snow report
Peed down here yesterday and very warm. Level 4 above 2400m today, 3 below. Hell of a lot of blasting going on up there this morning.
snow report
We went from 5 to 3 in the Savoie overnight

Heavy rain at altitude yesterday with a thaw has purged a lot of slopes, this has been followed by a refreeze overnight which has stabilized the snow lower down with weaknesses deeply buried higher up. First sunny day for a while and still Considerable risk mind.
latest report
Manon Bonnevie at Val d'Isere

snow report
and a volcanic eruption in Japan has caused an avalanche at a ski resort killing 1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUJfUbVW0AEIp2q.jpg

You can just about see it on this webcam grab

http://youtube.com/v/B7HCVFgjdFU
snow conditions
Where did I leave my car again? Tignes yesterday

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 23-01-18 15:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tignes snowfall

snow report
Val Thorens

ski holidays
Clearing the roofs in Val d'Isere this AM before they collapse or avalanche

ski holidays
Exceptionally warm January according to Meteo France

Quote:

The air currents that have been circulating above France since the start of the Year have been exceptionally mild, with a temperature anonmaly of +3.3C above average from the 1st to 22 of the month. It is an exceptional figure. The previous record for January since 1990 was +2,7 °C, something seen in 1988, 1936 and 2014. The forecast is for more mild weather. If that happens then January 2018 will be the warmest on record.

Which accounts for the limited snow and skiing at low altitudes (poor conditions below 1300 meters) and the high altitude rain. So despite the record quantities of snow in some areas at altitude we still have a trend to warmer, less snowy, winters; indeed they are probably two sides of the same climate change coin.
snow report
Les Brevieres this morning (don't know whether this was triggered or natural yet):

snow report
The pisteurs in Val d'Isere had to intervene yesterday late afternoon to rescue a skier who was climbing a couloir above the chemin des Côves, the tired skier didn't know the area. What was he doing there?

photo: Radio Val d'Isere/Piste Service
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Les Brevieres this morning (don't know whether this was triggered or natural yet):

ah yes, this one ? You wouldn't want to be skinning up that slope ! Hence the warnings to ski tourers to keep off the slopes during the PIDA.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 24-01-18 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooft!
snow report
Seem to be people milling around at the bottom Shocked
snow report
altis wrote:
Seem to be people milling around at the bottom Shocked

There do, so I'm wondering if, as was said above, it was control work.

The biggest worry at the moment are falls on the ice left by the high altitude rain and skiing the corrugations left by drainage channels, this in the Savoie at 1700 meters

Take great care off piste below 2000/2200 meters as there are some very nasty surfaces. Yesterday a guy slipped on quite a mild slope (25 degrees?) and picked up speed before hitting trees. He was taken away by the rescue helicopter. I was cross country skiing below where he was but I don't think his route choice was great - west facing slope, your best bet at the moment is to head for east facing slopes and hope the sun is strong enough to melt the crust a bit.

Interesting season, round here where a lot of the skiing is between 1000-2000 meters we've had the odd day of powder but always followed by rain. With many of the trailheads stopping at 1000m there is a lack of snow between the 1000-1300m range, indeed there is less snow now at these levels than last year and it is a fair bit warmer too.
snow report
this sort of thing ?

around 1700m, although hardpacked rather than icy. Any snow you dislodge runs down the little channels, it's quite fun, sort of pooh sticks with snow.
ski holidays
The slip in Brev was PIDA. I have checked with 2 reputable sources. The area below had been notified as out of bounds. Funnily enough Le Dauphine issued 'a correction' at 1500hrs this afternoon.
snow report
Avalanche off piste at Pila today near coulis 2. A snowboarder was caught but fortunately uninjured.

http://www.ansa.it/valledaosta/notizie/2018/01/24/valanga-pila-snowboarder-coinvolto_77352887-b8fe-44c6-b21c-0e9fb93a8e48.html
In Italian.
latest report
@jbob, We saw a slab detached by a skier or snow boarder yesterday in Pila, East facing slope up on Coulis 2. Didn't look like they were caught.

Level 2 tomorrow.
snow report
@AndAnotherThing.., it might be the same one, my Italian isn’t up to much. We were at Chamois Today, which was empty and really nice. Some evidence of avalanches on steeper ground.

snow report
@jbob, Looked different from the pic but I couldn't work out where the slope in the news item was. According to google translate, it sounds as if the slide was triggered by 2 'freeriders' and the boarder was possibly caught on the piste. The police are looking for said freeriders to see if anything needs to be done..

Breuil-Cervinia for us where I've never seen so much evidence of avy activity. Super wind blown.
ski holidays
Heavy snowfall in the Massif Central and Pyrenees in France today. The snowpack is well stabilized due to the recent springlike weather so the avalanche activity will be limited to some new slabs formed by the fresh snow and wind. Risk increasing today and Saturday during the storm cycle then stabilizing at the end of the weekend.

Guzet this AM.
snow report

Went for a quick tour and dug a pit near Pila, 2150m altitude, north aspect. Hoar frost layer is very obvious, 40cm down. It slid with a couple of light taps...

Snowing hard in Pila when we left today. Boot deep or so in the trees.
snow report
@Sharkymark Interesting.

Tignes snow depths

and la Plagne

but poor snow cover below 1400 meters, some events have been cancelled.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy