Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Private lesson for a nervous 3 yr old in Hemel snow centre?

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Tignes on December 17 ( can’t wait!) and I will be taking my 7yr old for a refresher group lesson in the Hemel Snow centre a few days before we go. The question is should I consider a lesson for my 3 yr old ( almost 4 but looks/behaves very young) too? For this age they offer 30min private sessions only but at over £50 it seems a bit expensive for what is likely to be a bit of snow walking...The little one has “skied” last year on holiday - he was in a ski nursery but that was mostly just playing so he has not learned anything. This year I still don’t have any high expectations of him actually getting it, I just want him to be comfortable with the snow/ equipment and he is not great with changes... so the aim of a private lesson would be really to hopefully minimise upset and crying when we drop him off for his morning ski school on the first day.. but maybe there is some cheaper way to do the same?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I’d wait until you are out there in the Alps. You might minimise first day tears by having a lesson at Hemel, but I think there’s a marginally greater risk you put him off for life.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Half an hour at a dry slope would likely achieve the same outcome at a fraction of the price. However the biggest challenge is likely to be the weather in Tignes in December - wrap him up well!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
imo he is still to young. May even have trouble finding a school to take them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve put 3 into ski school at 3.5.
The ski school we use is very good with the children. Two of them did quite a lot of hot chocolate and videos with a bit of games in the snow on skis. One was a really up for it child and loved it.
3 is very young. They tire very quickly and get cold very easily..
At this age they aren’t really learning to ski but trying to discover whether they like playing out in the snow, which happens to be on skis.
If your child is a young 3 be prepared for a lot of tears and reluctance. Success will depend on how nurturing the ski school is.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

They tire very quickly and get cold very easily..

Don't we all, especially at 2200m base camp in mid December.
Personally I'd aim to have some fun snow play on the Saturday afternoon, if you arrive early enough and have an hour to spare. If it could be in the area where he'll be in his group the next morning, then hopefully he'd have the beginnings of a positive association with it.

They usually stop crying once you're out of sight, in my experience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

They usually stop crying once you're out of sight

When they've lost hope and surrendered to the despair of endless loss..... wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Then they start crying again when they spot you at the end of the lesson, to try and make you think they've been wailing the whole time. Even though you were spying on them and know better!

I've had a child of three do a bunch of about six private lessons at Hemel. He has autism, so it was important for him that he was more familiar with what was going to happen on holiday. Obviously it depends on the instructor, and to be fair we did have Snowbility instructors, but the lessons weren't about walking about at all. It was going up to increasing heights and trying to hit the padded snowman, and at the end the instructor took him up to the top of the training slope and skied down with him between his legs so he could see what fun skiing could be. You should have seen the huge grin on his face after that!! He absolutely loved it and really looked forward to his lessons.

Sadly when we were out there, Tignes, coincidentally, the teaching was absolute rubbish. They just left him to cry in the snow as he struggled to understand the instructions (despite us explaining about his additional needs and needing to be "shown" not just talked to) and when they got fed up of him just lying there, took him back in the hut. He barely skied at all, and started to dread it.

Fortunately the next year we went when he was just turned five, and this was in Arc1950. Whilst the tuition for our then three year old was dreadful because there were about twenty sobbing children to one adult, our son's was a lot better and he was doing blue runs with us by the end of the holiday with that massive grin back on his face again, this time under his own control snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sparklies wrote:
...Obviously it depends on the instructor, and to be fair we did have Snowbility instructors, but the lessons weren't about walking about at all. It was going up to increasing heights and trying to hit the padded snowman, and at the end the instructor took him up to the top of the training slope and skied down with him between his legs so he could see what fun skiing could be. You should have seen the huge grin on his face after that!! He absolutely loved it and really looked forward to his lessons.
Just a quick shout out for Richard and his team at Snowbility. They do an amazing job.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
3yro's vary a lot in ability, from flying down the main slope (in complete control, turns, doing little jumps), to just happy having a run down straight over a small distance just having fun - usually because not quite strong enough to get a turn in without falling over yet.

I make my 3yro lessons all about fun, and making sure expectations are set at the beginning of the lesson with parents.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Absolutely - we were delighted with the Snowbility team. Best of all it meant we didn't have to worry about if he did present any challenging behaviour. However, he didn't because he was enjoying himself so much and they knew exactly how to keep him engaged! When it became clear he was motivated by wanting to bash in the soft snowmen, that's what they let him do, with great result.

If only we could have taken a Snowbility instructor with us to Tignes..

That said, even though the tuition was better in Arc 1950 (when he was five) he got the most out of a two hour private lesson midweek. We asked the ski school (Spirit) to give us somebody gentle and understanding rather than try and explain the whole autism thing. The absolute highlight of my holiday (and quite possibly any skiing holiday) was when I heard my daughters yell "There he is!!" and me looking around trying to spot a slow small boy snowploughing clumsily, and then realising that the little boy shooting past in (mostly!) parallel at high speed flapping his arms in joy off to the side of the piste with the instructor skiing backwards in front of him was my son!

Never underestimate the benefits of a private lesson!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sparklies wrote:
That said, even though the tuition was better in Arc 1950 (when he was five) he got the most out of a two hour private lesson midweek. We asked the ski school (Spirit) to give us somebody gentle and understanding rather than try and explain the whole autism thing. The absolute highlight of my holiday (and quite possibly any skiing holiday) was when I heard my daughters yell "There he is!!" and me looking around trying to spot a slow small boy snowploughing clumsily, and then realising that the little boy shooting past in (mostly!) parallel at high speed flapping his arms in joy off to the side of the piste with the instructor skiing backwards in front of him was my son!
Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The absolute highlight of my holiday (and quite possibly any skiing holiday) was when I heard my daughters yell "There he is!!" and me looking around trying to spot a slow small boy snowploughing clumsily, and then realising that the little boy shooting past in (mostly!) parallel at high speed flapping his arms in joy off to the side of the piste with the instructor skiing backwards in front of him was my son!

snowHead What a lovely moment that must have been....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whoever said wrap him up warm in December was right. Ours were in ESF Jardin de Neige from 3.5 years old, and never any tears. Seems that the ones that cried were those with no glove liners, wrist warmers and not wearing a balaclava. Mind you the Jardin de Neige in Les Carroz is brilliant. That man has a spine of steel. Imagine spending all winter bent over picking up small children?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all for your advice! I have just had a chance to read it all. @sparklies, how do you arrange lessons with snowmobility? I am asking because my son does have some additional needs , not autism but mild language/motor delays and possibly some sensory processing too. So it is important for him to know what to expect. Last year he did cry on drop off at ski school but seemed quite happy after ( they were amazing in supporting him) .. so maybe I should book him that lesson then.@Cheesie168, will wrap him up warm ( we have been there in December last year too) and anyway he is only in ski school in the morning
ski holidays
@Bella2015, my youngest has a number of issues - she shows some austistic spectrum symptoms, some ADHD, she has a slow processing speed index, speech issues and the ed psych report suggest dyspraxia as well as dyslexia.

We found she formed the habit of just sitting down during lessons when she was 3 & 4. We tried group lessons over at snowtrax (local dry ski slope) and found she was getting nothing from them. So I booked her private lessons (they do much cheaper ones before 5pm) and explained the issues. The guy was brilliant with her, made t a great game and she “got it”.

Do you have a dry ski slope near by who may do similar?

She is now 8 and doesn’t want to do lessons any more. I don’t think I will be putting her in group ones again and they don’t work well for her. However she is now also a reasonably competent skier.
latest report
@Bella2015, when we did it a few years ago, you could ring them or email them. Their website is here: http://snowbility.co.uk/ They do cost slightly more than the regular lessons at Hemel, but if there are any sort of additional needs I think it is well worth it. Whilst most instructors at Hemel are great (especially those who deal with the little ones) it can be worth it for peace of mind knowing that anything "unexpected" will be taken into account by the instructor and not flummox them! And presumably they have a lot more tricks up their sleeve to try when children don't learn in a conventional manner too.

My three year old cried at ski school at drop off and pick-up but she did the same thing at nursery at home. We knew for a fact from the teachers (and from spying!) that she stops as soon as she thinks we're gone and actually has a brilliant time so we don't feel too guilty. She just wanted us to stand and watch for three hours instead of going off skiing ourselves (um, no..)

My little boy still can't swim at 6.5 now, despite having pretty much weekly lessons since he was four months old (and over the last few years, private 1 to 1s with a wonderful, gentle teacher) as he just can't work it out, so the fact he was able to achieve at skiing is priceless. His sense of accomplishment and boost to his self confidence is beyond measure. I can't wait to see what he manages this season! We're planning on taking him for at least one refresher lesson with Snowbility before we go again to minimise issues.
latest report
Quote:

will wrap him up warm ( we have been there in December last year too)

Last december was balmy though - no comparison!
snow report
@sparklies, your son sounds so similar to my daughter. She is 8 and has managed her 10m swimming badge but the she coordination required to swim is a massive challenge and it is the difficulties of coordinating arms, legs, head, body etc. However is finally making progress with the one on one support.
snow conditions
Niece with ADHD and autism managed to learn to ski with no problems at all but ...... She started at 7 yrs old we only had tears when her favourite instructor broke his arm and she had to change to someone else. ..
We were in BC and in group lessons of no more than 4 and half the time only 1 other. She still cannot read a piste map and having been to the same resort for 10 yrs still cannot find her way down to the bottom on her own and always eats the same lunch in each place we stop.
ski holidays
@joneski, @NickyJ, @sparklies, it's unbelievable how similar your kids sound to my oldest! He is 7 and has ADHD and dys-everything! He has been having so much difficulty with swimming , still can't get it after 2 years of semi private classes! With ski it has been a much better experience so far- he was able to be in ski school last year and the year before but maybe it was because he was always there with a group of friends he knew. Last year really improved skiing greens and blues almost parallel..
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
sparklies wrote:
...Obviously it depends on the instructor, and to be fair we did have Snowbility instructors, but the lessons weren't about walking about at all. It was going up to increasing heights and trying to hit the padded snowman, and at the end the instructor took him up to the top of the training slope and skied down with him between his legs so he could see what fun skiing could be. You should have seen the huge grin on his face after that!! He absolutely loved it and really looked forward to his lessons.
Just a quick shout out for Richard and his team at Snowbility. They do an amazing job.

+1 Richard has been briliant with my autistic son.
snow conditions
Thank you will try Snowmobility
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy