Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wedel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Old school but still beautiful

Cool

http://youtube.com/v/w_hSMfHgEeY
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strangely hypnotic as well as being slightly strange. Interesting to note that the path the skis take on piste (zig-zag path as a result of a quick pivoted turn followed by a speed check) is different to the path the skis take when they ski in untracked snow (much more of a rounded turn, with much less of a speed check) despite the body movements looking similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's like looking at me ski through a kaleidoscope!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I noticed that too - powder skiing looks pretty similar to skiing a slow speed fall line, the on hardpack is a lot more forced. If we're being constructive I think the basic wedel model still has a lot to recommend it for a playaround with as it will enhance mogul and powder skills even if it is superfluous these days for piste skiing and anachronistic stance wise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I noticed that too - powder skiing looks pretty similar to skiing a slow speed fall line, the on hardpack is a lot more forced. If we're being constructive I think the basic wedel model still has a lot to recommend it for a playaround with as it will enhance mogul and powder skills even if it is superfluous these days for piste skiing and anachronistic stance wise.
The difficulty of using a wedel turn as practice for moguls is that it encourages a very pronounced 'pop' up at the start of the turn - the last thing you need when skiing bumps. You also have a lingering memory of that godawful music echoing around your brain, and that's enough to kills any semblance of decent ski technique.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Guess I'm not seeing the pop as that pronounced and I didn't say use wedel turn as "the" technique. Just I suspect that anyone who can do a passable wedel on modern skis is well on their way to having enough rotary skills and timing to make a decent attempt at bumps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Strangely hypnotic as well as being slightly strange. Interesting to note that the path the skis take on piste (zig-zag path as a result of a quick pivoted turn followed by a speed check) is different to the path the skis take when they ski in untracked snow (much more of a rounded turn, with much less of a speed check) despite the body movements looking similar.

They're skiing on narrow skis and for most of the footage the skis and their legs are below the snow surface.

This immersion in the snow creates resistance around the skis and legs hence less need to make an exaggerated speed check at the end of the turn and a more rounded turn shape in the fall line.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-11-17 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was taught by a French guy who would wedel our dry slope without the skis losing any contact with the surface at all. I think if they're bouncing then that's not necessary, depending on the slope conditions.

The powder turns there look like standard powder turns to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suspect it is not taught any more ? The advantage of Wedeln is being able to ski a fall line in good control and inside a ski length. That is useful for tight lines and crowded pistes. It was probably more necessary in the days of moguled runs and narrow un-winched pistes. Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah those where the days - the creators of great moguls - its easy to see how large, fall line moguls where made.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

The girl I skied with last winter has very good technique. She skis on narrow skis so when we are in the powder she is doing almost Wendel turns while my turns, (my tracks on the left) are quite long. I think she has gone for some 82s this winter which will seem wide for her.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just saw this thread.

Interestingly, one of the drills my daughter was taught last year in the ESF (2e etoile) is wedeln (wagging or waving auf deutsch). I tried to follow her and it's really hard on deep sidecut skies, obviously. She said it was for balance.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy