Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a solo weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks like I might have an opportunity to sneak away for 3 or 4 days in late March for a solo late season trip. Will leave it until relatively late to book so as to be sure of snow conditions. Where would you snowheads suggest? Needs to be a relatively cheap/easy airport transfer, with early morning flight out (Tue or Wed) and late back (Sat). I was thinking of Chamonix (from Geneva on the Chamexpress), St Anton (from Zurich/Innsbruck by train) or maybe Kitzbuhel or Mayrhofen (by train - from Munich? or Innsbruck). Anywhere else spring to mind?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MontyP wrote:
Looks like I might have an opportunity to sneak away for 3 or 4 days in late March for a solo late season trip. Will leave it until relatively late to book so as to be sure of snow conditions. Where would you snowheads suggest? Needs to be a relatively cheap/easy airport transfer, with early morning flight out (Tue or Wed) and late back (Sat). I was thinking of Chamonix (from Geneva on the Chamexpress), St Anton (from Zurich/Innsbruck by train) or maybe Kitzbuhel or Mayrhofen (by train - from Munich? or Innsbruck). Anywhere else spring to mind?

Lots of places - what kind of skiing do you like to do would be a good starting point - you'd get very different response if 'cruising the blues' is your thing compared to 'skinning up for 20 minutes and dropping down a colouir'
Quite a few companies that orientate themselves around short breaks too. Just watch the Easter holidays which I think are end of March this year
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Challenging on-piste would be my description of my preferred skiing - tough reds and a few blacks, with some blues for a rest!

I've always thought that the short break companies work out pretty expensive? The dates I have in mind are just before the school hols so should be ok ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well my default for 'billy no-mates' is one of about three options which are (a) a snowheads bash (b) an Inside out or other coaching clinic or (c) just book some random chalet and wing-it.
and at some point I will do the (d) look for people needing 'one-more' in their chalet on here or the nielsen 'sharers' forum and hope they aren't all a bunch of internet weirdo's
(a) and (b) give you the advantage that you have people to ski with/eat with/drink with, without looking like the total freak being in a mountain restaurant on their own (although I've managed that on a few occasions - usually after losing my group somewhere). PLus ususally they co-ordinate a room share, which helps to drop the costs (even if the snoring is a killer!)

It's a bit harder to match (a) or (b) with a non 7 day trip as mostly they are setup for those kind of gigs. However if the dates (early march) work then this might be of interest - http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html#7 but if not then if you want option (c) then http://mountainsunfrance.com/short-ski-breaks/ and their place in the Espace Killy or Les Arcs runs short-stays, and transfers to /from GVA which reduces the pfaff factor, plus the bar (in Les Melezes at least) is a pretty good 'mixing place'. Other 'smaller' chalet companys probably run short-stays too just do a bit of googling for 'short break ski' + resort and see what comes back. Alpine elements is a bigger operator that runs short-breaks into la tania

As to the costs - well yes given that flights/transfers are largely the same cost for a 7 day trip versus a 4 day trip then by definition your cost per day of skiing is going to be more expensive. Actually I forgot option (e) - book yourself a shoebox somewhere in france on AirBnb/Homeaway for the week and then just use the bit you want. Just don't book your flights until you've checked that transfers/trains work. that 'cheap deal arriving in GVA at 22:00 on a monday night can suddenly look expensive if you have to overnight in an hotel there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy