Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort for nightlife (mid-late 20s crowd)

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, and the Dutch, and the Norwegians.
@endoman, True.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm. This decision is not getting any easier. Why isn't there a perfect resort: Snow sure, but good tree coverage. Good night life. Ski in ski out. Not too expensive, bla bla bla.

I am now moving away from Val D'Isere and hoping for something with a bit more protection from the weather. Verbier looked interesting (as did that live music bar), but it seems too expensive.

I am now consider Mayrhofen. My only concern is it not being ski ski out, and not so sure how snow sure it is.

Soll seems quite cheap too. Does anyone have any experience of the skiing, nightlife and age group there?

And what about Zell am See
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gainz wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gainz

I've danced on table tops in Austria and in France so its no concern to me, once even with a Finnish netball team! If you're a youngster like me and you want to party it helps having the music you can party to playing. Us kids like electro, elecro tech and progressive sounds to get the feet moving (obviously beers help). I know you is the daddy of Saalbach and i loved it there, but cheesy music will kill it for me when I'm clubbing.

In regards to your question, I may have mixed them up twas a long time ago!

So you found Saalbach a bit too dude heavy?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Why isn't there a perfect resort: Snow sure, but good tree coverage. Good night life. Ski in ski out. Not too expensive,

There is, and you've just described it, alhough most people just say that "it ticks all the boxes". Smile At least that's the reason normally given for deciding to give up serial monogamy and commit to one resort.

With respect, I think that you may be in danger of over-thinking the dilemma. According to http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full ,
"Austria has had the best snowfall in the Alps so far this winter season. It has settled so far this week, with milder temperatures and sunshine, to provide glorious ski conditions. Due to the fantastic snow conditions that have been on show so far, a number of resort openings have gone ahead as planned. These include: Ischgl (20cm/60cm), Obertauern (0cm/80cm) and Silvretta Montafon (10cm/85cm). The forecast for the next few days is that snow is expected in all resorts, which should improve conditions even more....".

Some of us are whooping with joy at this season's fantastic early snow in Austria (well over 50cm forecast in Saalbach over the next few days, so I for one have got a pretty constant smile on my face!) - quite honestly, if it's a toss-up which country to favour with your business this year, it should be a bit of a no-brainer. (Incidentally Salzburg flights for the first week of January have recently been going for around £15 each way - no idea how much flights to other airports are currently costing, but Skyscanner will tell you).

As previously stated, you may have a point in favouring resorts with tree cover - no real point in going for high resorts where most of the skiing is above the tree-line, if you're going in early January, and the snow looks good. If your apres-ski and lunch budget is a concern, you're also wise to consider relative prices in the various resorts under consideration. Many of our guests comment on how much cheaper most Austrian resorts are than the likes of Verbier, Zermatt, Val d'Isere, 3Vs, Paradiski, etc. (although other Snowheads have commented that prices are steeper in St Anton and Ischgl than generally in Austria). I haven't skied in other resorts in recent years, so all I will say is that in my corner of Austria you can get a decent lunch up the mountain for less than 10 euros, a 1/2 litre of beer costs anything between 3.5 and 4.5 euros, and you can get a pretty good, filling pub meal for 7-9 euros (if that helps). Also there is no entrance charge for any of the night haunts. As far as I'm aware this is the norm in most of the popular Austrian resorts (check out which are the most popular on P.14 of this report: http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2017-vanat.pdf )

Regarding Mayrhofen, I can't see any reason to worry about snowsureness, given the weather forecast and the fact that virtually all the skiing there is up the mountain. However you're right about it not being ski-in ski-out. Soll has a reputation of being a fun resort to go to (and I'm sure that the indelible image of it left by the adventures of Maureen, Brenda and Kevin, recorded for posterity in the at times hilarious seven-part 1987 BBC documentary, "On The Piste" -
http://youtube.com/v/kk56EXtY84I - should no longer be regarded as presenting an accurate picture - still worth watching though Laughing ). It may well be a good choice for a group of 20 somethings looking for a good time - shorter runs and a less interlinked area than the Ski Circus, but there are plenty of Snowheads who have enjoyed holidays there, as well as other Ski Welt villages like Ellmau and Westendorf.

Zell am See is a very pretty lakeside resort - much larger than Saalbach, which is about 1,000 feet higher (the two resorts will be connected by a new lift next year), but it has a considerably smaller skiing area - 77km compared with 270km. Much depends on your competence level and how much skiing you want. A party of around a dozen of our friends - intermediate skiers - stayed there for a week the season before last and ended up getting a taxi to Saalbach on at least three of their days - they felt that Zell's ski area was too small for them and lacked variety. It got good points for prettiness though, and I've heard good reports of Crazy Daisy's for the apres.

Quote:

Not entirely sure what you mean, but Saalbach attracts people of all ages from just about every corner of Europe, especially Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, the Balkans, UK and Ireland. You may also bump into Australians and South Africans - and no doubt a few Russians during the first week of January (the Russian Christmas week). It has been awarded 5 stars (the maximum) for its renowned apres-ski scene by ADAC (the German equivalent of the AA). Night spots for the younger crowd would include Bauers, Spitzbub, Taverne, Castellos, and maybe the Underbar, as well as the Goasstall, and the London Pub/Tanzhimmel at Hinterglemm. (Possibly not the famous Hinterhagalm, which could be described as a bit like a rave for old people - although who knows?). All of these are unsophisticated party places - the well-heeled Austrians of our acquaintance wouldn't be seen dead in any of them (there are plenty of up-market hotels for them). I have heard it said that there tend to be more females and generally a younger age group than in say Ischgl and St Anton, although I'm sure that this could also be said about many other Austrian resorts (e.g. Mayrhofen). You will also found the night spots well frequented by the large contingent of youthful seasonal workers (as my son will attest - he spent three whole seasons working in a restaurant in Saalbach when he was in his mid-twenties, and he was - in his words - living the dream - out partying in places like Castellos most nights).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bobab wrote:
Hmmm. This decision is not getting any easier. Why isn't there a perfect resort: Snow sure, but good tree coverage. Good night life. Ski in ski out. Not too expensive, bla bla bla.

I am now moving away from Val D'Isere and hoping for something with a bit more protection from the weather. Verbier looked interesting (as did that live music bar), but it seems too expensive.

I am now consider Mayrhofen. My only concern is it not being ski ski out, and not so sure how snow sure it is.

Soll seems quite cheap too. Does anyone have any experience of the skiing, nightlife and age group there?

Mayrhofen is good fun and quite cheap. The Ice Bar is decent for apres but overall the apres isn't a patch on Saalbach or Val. Don't worry about it not being ski in-ski out, the main Penkenbahn lift up and down is very fast and efficient, and you can ski back down from the Ahorn mountain. There's little treeline skiing though as it's all up high, and pretty snow sure for that reason. There is also the excellent Hintertux glacier a bus ride away.

As said, Zell am See is a stunning place, but forget it for apres. When we went it had zero atmosphere and Crazy Daisy's was far from crazy, it was usually empty. Everyone went to the Irish bar, but just to chat and watch sport on tv.

Never been to Soll, so can't help you there but it's certainly known as a party town. From what I recall, the lift access isn't as convenient as other resorts, and it doesn't have the extent of skiing that Saalbach does.

Just go to Val d'Isere, it has everything you want - and there is treeline skiing if the vis is poor.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Also there is no entrance charge for any of the night haunts. As far as I'm aware this is the norm in most of the popular Austrian resorts

??

I ski all over Austria and can rarely remember being charged anywhere?

@Bobab, if you are thinking of Austria I’d say Saalbach is a good fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saalbach Hinterglemm is a great area for tree lined skiing. Pretty much every run is tree lined. Apres goes without saying is awesome. I’ve been last 2 years early Jan and snow has been amazing. Don’t think Zell would be as good for both skiing and apres (was there a few years ago).
As an alternative, you could look at Gasthof Alpenfrieden in Kappl, which is on piste and just 5 mins from Ischgl. It would mean a bus or taxi but you’d be doing that anyway if apresing in Hinterglemm and basing yourselves in Saalbach. Staying at the Alpenfrieden again this year - great food and great value. Under€60 a night db&b
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

??
I ski all over Austria and can rarely remember being charged anywhere?

@nozawaonsen, Just me being cautious, in case it's not as universal as I perceived.

@HoneyBunny, Current snow depths on upper slopes about the same in both Val D and S-H. Snow forecast over the next few days (upper slopes) 7cm in Val D and 61cm in S-H. Which would you choose? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bobab wrote:
Gainz wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:
@Gainz

I've danced on table tops in Austria and in France so its no concern to me, once even with a Finnish netball team! If you're a youngster like me and you want to party it helps having the music you can party to playing. Us kids like electro, elecro tech and progressive sounds to get the feet moving (obviously beers help). I know you is the daddy of Saalbach and i loved it there, but cheesy music will kill it for me when I'm clubbing.

In regards to your question, I may have mixed them up twas a long time ago!

Out of the 3 places I went in Austria, Saalbach, St Anton and Solden, Solden had the most younger women. You know this can change at anytime but that was my experience. There were lots of older ladies in Saalbach though! Austria is just the most fun, you can't compare it with anywhere else imo.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You know this can change at anytime but that was my experience

No doubt just as futile as chasing the snow!

Quote:

There were lots of older ladies in Saalbach though!

Sounds as though you ran into Mrs TT on a girly night out!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why has no one mentioned Soll yet?

Cheap & Cheerful as things can get in a ski resort unless you go to Bulgaria.

It was never on my radar and always looked down at it on the frequent trips to Kitzbuel.

But I've tried it since and I can report nightlife is brill.

Kitz is probably the Mecca of apres Ski, but Soll would be very good.
I would advise to go anywhere that your budget can stand in Austria.
Italy tends to go to bed after supper.
France likes to stay indoors drink stuff they buy in the super market.
Austria wants you to spend all your money with them and for you to have a good time.
Switzerland, you cant afford it.

Its a shame there are no ski resorts in Ireland.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I enjoyed the Soll apres but the options are limited compared to S-H. The skiing was nowhere near as good as the Ski Circus (had two ski trips to both).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bobab wrote:

Verbier ticks all those boxes. It is by far the best allround resort in the Alps.

Mayrhofen, Soll and Zell are too low in this age of global warming (unless booked lastminute).

Dig deep. Get a credit card. Shortterm loan. Whatever. Just get to Verbier .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Why has no one mentioned Soll yet?

They have. I even posted a video of the oscar-nominated (first part of the) documentary, recording for posterity Maureen's and Brenda's holiday in Soll (and their memorable rendition of the "Farting Song" can be watched in one of the subsequent episodes).

@DrLawn, As a matter of interest how would you say the apres-ski in Soell and Kitz compared with S-H?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 27-11-17 2:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Verbier ticks all those boxes. It is by far the best allround resort in the Alps.

Mayrhofen, Soll and Zell are too low in this age of global warming (unless booked lastminute).

In January, and with snow this season dumping down from mid-November? Surely not - they are thriving, popular ski resorts, after all.
As for Verbier, I found it okay for skiing and scenery, but during a two week holiday, and alternating between Medran and Savoleyres (and a few hours in Bruson), I sort of ran out of options and got a bit bored after a week. And for anyone of limited means the bar prices were a bit silly. Not sure it's worth going into debt for when there are so many good alternatives.
snow report
Andorra is duty free.
ski holidays
soll is a great resort, really close to munich so 1-1.5hr transfer. only problem is the first lift is probably 1-2km away from the main town, now I've always had a hire car there and been able to drive up to the first lift and theres plenty options for busses etc.....

lots of skiing to get around, plenty miles to be covered if you head for different villages in the ski welt. but if you are giving this much thought to the apres- soll is a very cost effective place to head! always good fun apres in the salvenstadl (first pub in town from the ski slopes) they have a bbq and a band on every night from like 4-7pm. theres a few different bars and restaurants in town all reasonably priced. theres a couple of night clubs/ late bars, usually a decent mix of boys/ girls and also quite a young crowd too.
snow conditions
Livigno. Duty free so cheap as chips, great food, good accomodation and great nights out.
latest report
ian999 wrote:
@Disaster, Stop being ageist (to yourself that is)! I am somewhat older than you and certainly didn't feel out of place in the KK and Mooser in Jan this year. And the DJ at the Mooser is somewhat older than me. You are right about the ski down! Getting away from the Mooser can be tricky as the crowds from KK swoop down in varying states of capability.

Ah it was actually taps, next door to KK that I felt old in - but I think it was seasonaires night off so full of young party animals. Moosewirt is great though! I'd go back for sure.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:

@HoneyBunny, Current snow depths on upper slopes about the same in both Val D and S-H. Snow forecast over the next few days (upper slopes) 7cm in Val D and 61cm in S-H. Which would you choose? wink

Ha! You wouldn't have ANY trouble persuading me to go to Saalbach! I will go again, for sure.
snow conditions
Hi @tatmanstours
Its a long time since I was doing apres in Saalbach,

We actually stayed in most nights but we were staying at the Jauserstation looks like it was
Limbergalm or very close by.
Rammernweg 128, 5753 Saalbach, Austria
47.363884, 12.647662

It was a hutte used for tobogganing nights where they served Schwien Haxen and schnapps and had a mad "Snuff Engine".
When the owners went to bed it was honesty box time till about 4am.
This was about 1988ish.

We did go into town one night ... but we realized we were having a better time back at the Hutte.
So I don't think I can really comment on the Apres in Saalbach.

I used to love going to Kitz in the early 90s, and I could almost see myself joining the "Peter Pan Crowd" who went to the Londoner and never grew up and never came home.

I've only been to Soll for a week the season before last, pretty raucous bands in most bars at least once a week.
If I had the money I'd still go to Kitz, but you have to live within your means.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, I had a feeling from previous comments that you may not have experienced Saalbach's apres-ski at full throttle. The Limbergalm is a fair way up the mountain (where piste 2b starts), so I'm not surprised that you tended to stay in at night, and I can't imagine how you managed to get into town and back one night - unless you used a piste basher!

Having said that, I haven't experienced the apres-ski of many other Austrian resorts (in fact only Mayrhofen, Badgastein and St Anton), so I'm always interested in how people rate Saalbach-Hinterglemm compared with other resorts.

My cousin, Steve (who isn't a Snowhead so I can't invite him to comment) likes to combine his skiing with singing (he does actually have a pretty good singing voice and enjoys performing), and he became a fan of Saalbach some years ago, as it gives him plenty of opportunity to practise both. He tried Kitzbuehel a couple of years ago but didn't like it - from what I remember he felt that it was too big for his liking, with a lower, smaller and less attractive and conveniently-accessed ski area. He seemed to feel that the size of the town impacted adversely on the apres-ski atmosphere; unlike a relatively small, compact village like Saalbach, the apres-ski, such as it was, was dispersed and somewhat "diluted". I have the impression that he was far more impressed by Sauze d'Oulx last season.

As for Soell, I know that it's always enjoyed a reputation as a party village, but I've been put off by reports of short runs and a long trek to the lift.. However your enthusiasm for its apres-ski, as well as that of Kitz, made me wonder whether I might be missing something, especially as our favourite apres-ski Irish band, "Cuckoo", are based there (they get over to Saalbach occasionally but don't enjoy the drive).

It would be interesting to hear what you think of the apres-ski in Saalbach, since you were obviously well impressed with Soell and Kitz. I seem to have managed to convert @HoneyBunny and a few others to the utter madness that is the Hinterhagalm (plenty of which is available to watch on Youtube), and also Kooky and Scarpa to the Spitzbub on one of Geordie entertainer, Spacey's bi-weekly evenings. I don't pretend that it's for everyone, and Austrian cheese can admittedly be an acquired taste, but next time you come, give these places a go - also the Goassstall, Underbar, and, on the right nights, Bobby's and the Oetzi Bar, and even Castellos, if you're young at heart.

I should perhaps point out, for the benefit of any Francophiles, that we don't do high tea and cakes. The famously exuberant apres-ski technically goes on from 4.00pm till 7.30pm, mostly in the open-air (but not at the Hinterhagalm, except sometimes in sunny weather in late March), whereas the apres-apres-ski starts later after dinner, invariably hidden away in sound-proofed, underground cellar bars.

Whilst on the general subject, and forgive me if this constitutes going off at a tangent from "night life", "White Pearl Mountain Days" will again this season (it was a new thing last year) be hosting very enjoyable afternoon parties - a different mountain restaurant every day - for two weeks starting 16th March. Excellent food and drinks, live bands and talented solo musicians. So if your idea of a perfect way to finish a day's skiing in late March is to laze in a deck chair on a mountain top, with a beer or glass of prosecco, whilst watching a solo violinist or saxophonist performing, before skiing down, this could be of interest.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, I would like some Saalbach info too please.
snow report
@davidthornton, I've sent you a PM
latest report
Austria wins hands down. Ischgl by a neck from St Anton.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, your description of apres in Austria makes me want to completely avoid the whole country, even though I've been there and enjoyed it! The problem with cheesy music is that I need to be receptive to it (4 quick pints will usually suffice), and ideally taken by surprise. Although it will take a good 10 or 12 pints before I'll acknowledge Sweet Caroline...it's almost as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
I seem to have managed to convert @HoneyBunny and a few others to the utter madness that is the Hinterhagalm

Heyyy we didn't need any 'converting'! We were well-versed in Austrian apres silliness in many resorts before Saalbach - it's just that Saalbach shows most other places how it's done. We were only put off on our first visit to the Hinterhag party by walking in halfway through. As I've said before, it's a bit of an assault on the senses; very hot, sweaty, very smoky, lots of shouty singing, you can't get near the bar and there was nowhere for a big group like ours to even stand, never mind sit. As you know, we prefer to get a table earlier on and build up to the madness rather than be smacked round the head with it full-on wink

I think it's fair to say we partied as hard as anyone in there on many many occasions! Great fun. The Hinterhag is just superb and long may it continue.

As to how Saalbach compares to other Austrian resorts - it has the edge on most of the ones I've been to, I would say. Having been back to St Anton for a third time this year, I'd say St A was missing something. The Mooserwirt was what it was, but somehow not quite as fun as in previous years. The best apres bar there now (IMO) is the Murrmel Bar in town which Gunar plays in, that was just fantastic.

I think only Ischgl potentially 'beats' Saalbach (not that it's a competition, just a matter of opinion), it's got to be the absolute daddy of apres. But Saalbach has that cosy, pretty village feel whereas Ischgl is big, brash and showy. It's the Val d'Isere of Austria, if you will. Expensive and 'look at meeeeeee' - but still great times. The Kitzloch certainly rivals the Hinterhag for an apres party.. and Nikki's Stadl and the Trofana Alm as well.

Still wherever you go, the bigger - and a lot of smaller - Austrian resorts definitely know how to show a few skiers a good time. Of the Austrian resorts I've been to (not that many!), this is how I'd rate their apres:

1) Ischgl - every single bar packed and rocking from early afternoon
2) Saalbach/Hinterglemm - has the Hinterhag - one of the best apres parties in the Alps, plus many many fun bars - and the Goassstall in Hinterglemm
3) St Anton - has the famous Mooserwirt and the KK - and it's always worth partying with Gunar
4) Mayrhofen - Ice Bar is good, and Brian Cristopher at the Sports Bar is brilliant
5) Schladming - decent umbrella bar, big club in town was OK, other bars pretty quiet
6) Bad Gastein - Silver Bullet in town is good in the evening - couldn't find any decent apres (not saying there isn't any, but we couldn't find it!)
7) Nassfeld - Yeti Schirmbar at the base station was quite fun. Everywhere absolutely dead in the evening.
8 ) Zell am See - not much going on at all.
9) Kreischberg - as above
10) Götzens - not an apres town
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
Quote:

it will take a good 10 or 12 pints before I'll acknowledge Sweet Caroline

One jagatee ought to do it then! Toofy Grin
@HoneyBunny, The importance of psychological acclimatisation has certainly been brought home to me, as well as a fall-back position. The scenario you descibe has been repeated innumerable times - in one door and out the other within milliseconds. Last season I spent 20 mins looking for kooky and scarpa in the Hinterhag, only to discover that they'd shot straight out of the back door within seconds of entering. However the cunning second string to my bow was the Spitzbub with Spacey presiding - k & s later pronounced it to be the best apres-ski party they could remember, so all ended well.

These places do sometimes change for better or for worse, and the change can be almost imperceptible. Suddenly you find that you're looking around with a sceptical, even cynical, eye, and you wonder if maybe you haven't had enough jagatee, or if you're just getting over-familiar with the place. It sounds as if that happened to you in St A. The same happened to me at the Goassstall, which is why we didn't go there even once last season; it didn't help IMHO when they doubled the size of the standing area under the twin umbrellas, built a souvenir shop partially obscuring the view, and started trying a bit too hard to get more modern with the playlist - skip the cheese course at your peril!

On the other hand I feel that the Hinterhag has gone from strength to strength - credit mostly due to the iconic Josef Solar, who has been playing there for at least 35 years with no apparent diminution in enthusiasm. The other thing is that one week, or even one night, can be totally different from the preceding one, depending on who's in attendance. Also, although the Austrians seem to be very adept at maintaining their traditions and capitalising on a winning formula (the Hinterhag hasn't really changed much since I first went there in 1987), new places do tend to spring up, and before you realise it people are off partying somewhere else. Apparently this has happened in Hinterglemm, with party-goers now split between the Goassstall and the relatively new kid on the block, the Schwarzacher - and, for all I know, other contenders as well.

I'm not surprised by your comment about Badgastein; I don't remember any apres there either, and one decent bar hardly hacks it - might as well go to France and be done with it. It sounds as if you need to go to Kitz and tell us how that compares and ranks in your league table.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apres is a funny old game, isn't it? A lot depends on who you're with, as well as how up for it everyone in the place is. There's a lot to be said for location and atmosphere in the place too - and of course the music and/or band/DJ is everything. Some MCs really get the place jumping and make the apres so memorable. "ALLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Wink

I've been in the Trofana Alm in Ischgl with the usual group, we got there a bit late and ended up in a corner - so although the place was absolutely taking the roof off, we couldn't really see what was going on and never quite got into the swing of it.

Yet other times, in other places, everything has been just spot on and you leave on the greatest high ever.
snow report
Gave the Trofana Alm a second chance last year after being really underwhelmed the first time we tried it about 8 years-ago and our group still didn't 'get' it. Gave it a good 3 or 4 rounds before someone broke and said "Anyone else rather be in the Kitzloch?", to which we all agreed and left.
snow report
+1 for Saalbach, but Soll and Obertauern are also worth a look.

There are some really good hotels in Soll that should fit your budget, plus apres is fantastic and mixed. It starts at the main bubble and continues down into the village including some quieter more "sophisticated" bars. The Ski Welt is huge with lots to go at and they've had a good snowy start to the season this year. You should be able to get 4* HB with a ski pass for that budget at that time of year.

Try these 4* hotels:
Postwirt - Right in the centre of Soll, about a 10 min walk or 2 min skibus to the lifts. We stayed here last year and paid about £750 for a week HB with skipass
https://derpostwirt.at/en/

Tyrol - Up at the back of the resort so a 5 min ski bus to the lifts and 5 mins walk to the village
https://www.hotel-tyrol.com/?lang=en

Bergland - Across the road from the lifts and about a 5 min walk into the village.
http://www.aparthotel-bergland.at/

If you are looking for something a bit cheaper take a look at 3* Hotel Garni Tenne (http://www.garnitenne.at/). It's in the village centre across from the Postwirt and is decent B&B only hotel, but you will find lots of good restaurants in Soll, so food won't be an issue.

Obertauern is a little more expensive and although the ski area is smaller (110km), it's my favourite of the two. The apres is really good and starts up the mountain at Edelweissalm with the rest of the apres at one end of the village within a street or two, and pretty much has something for everyone.

You'll be lucky to get a 4* or even a high-end 3* for that budget, but you will find some decent cheaper hotels or apartments - Have stayed at the Borgensperger a couple of times on our annual boys trip - don't judge it from the website... http://www.hotel-bogensperger.com/ Shocked

It's 5 mins from the main apres area and is more or less ski in/out with the Zentralbahn piste and lift just across the road. It's a basic, but clean hotel and I think last time we stayed we paid about €60 pppn for HB, although if we go again, we'd stay B&B and eat out in the village.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Also consider Sauze d'Oulx in Italy. Very lively esp and the Irish bar.

Paddy McGintys is gone Sad
latest report
Saalbach or Ischgl would be my vote...

Both have pro’s & con’s, which most people have already captured above.

For me: Ischgl > Saalbach in terms of the skiing, longer runs, awesome lifts, well connected, lots of variety, snowsure as it goes up to 2800m.

Apres is down in the village with the exception of Paznayer (spelling) Thaya in Ischgl, Saalbach Hinterglemm more mountainside apres options.

Ischgl Apres is wilder and more raucous than Saalbach, which I think would sit well with a younger crowd. Some might say it borders on being sleazy / blokey, but these places are easily avoided if required. Saalbach apres is amazing and I would say we’ve had “better” apres parties in Saalbach than Ischgl.

Ischgl slightly more expensive - €5.5 for a 500ml beer vs €4.50 in Saalbach.

You can’t go wrong with either and you’ll have an amazing time guaranteed , but it is likely Ischgl will probably cost you a little more as everything is approx 10% more expensive than Saalbach. For the time of year you’re going snowfall might be an issue for Saalbach, but as people are saying early predictions are promising so it would not be an issue. Very unlikely you’ll have issues with Ischgl in terms of snowfall, more likely you will suffer whiteouts higher up though.

Very jealous - enjoy!

Btw - Val / Tignes from what I hear, very nice, but expensive - €8-9 for a 330ml beer on the slopes...
Verbier - £13 for a 330 ml bottle of Corona...seriously?
ski holidays
letsgetpiste wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Also consider Sauze d'Oulx in Italy. Very lively esp and the Irish bar.

Paddy McGintys is gone Sad

Boo hiss Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Woolies wrote:

Btw - Val / Tignes from what I hear, very nice, but expensive - €8-9 for a 330ml beer on the slopes...
Verbier - £13 for a 330 ml bottle of Corona...seriously?

Where did you get your Verbier info from?

It’s typically 7-8chf for a large beer on the slopes

Example: 7chf
http://www.verbier.ch/UserFiles/File/Restaurant/carte-menu-chalet-carlsberg-hiver-2017-2018.pdf
snow conditions
Quote:

For the time of year you’re going snowfall might be an issue for Saalbach,

Laughing Laughing Laughing Puzzled
ski holidays
1 litre of beer for I think 8 euro in the Marmottes up on the slopes in Val. Same in Cascades. Don't have to pay silly prices.
latest report
Has anyone mentioned Snowbombing? It's a proper party.

For reference our trip this year is £770 for a decent chalet to St Anton (ex lift pass and hire). That's 13 20-30yr olds on 13th Jan.

French après vs Austrian après are different beasts, you need to figure out what you're looking for...

Don't discount Tignes, big seasonaire scene and as snow-sure as any, sounds more like what you're looking for. However you're right that if the weather comes in the lack of trees can make it difficult, especially if they close the Val link as they often can do in early Jan.

I would also just say spend the little bit more and go to Val D, seems to tick all your boxes.
snow report
Thanks for all your replies. All so very informative and lots of good options it seems. But we ended up going with Saalbach. It ended up being the only one that broadly ticked all the boxes (one of the guys was adamant that he wanted to go to Austria, so not really helped narrow it down).

And Tatman, thank you very much for your very informative email. Unfortunately, the guys ended up not being very keen on self-catered, and they found a place which was half-board at a reasonable price as part of a package, so ended up through them.

Very Happy It looks like it is going to be a good season.
ski holidays
Good choice snowHead for all the reasons posted above. Other than pricey options, Saalbach ticks pretty much all the boxes rather well, IME.

Have fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy