Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing Hestra GTX Leather Gloves???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So after 10 years of use my Heatra Leather GTX (Gore-Tex) gloves are in a state where they stink beyond acceptable levels.

The guide even told me don't come back with the same pair of gloves next year!

At the end of last season I decided that it would be time to buy a new pair of them - but at £135 i'd like to give it a go and try and salvage mine. Especially since there is other gear i'd rather spend the money on- always need to grow the ski quiver.

Has anyone with Hestra GTX leather gloves washed them successfully and if so how? The instructions and everything online seem to indicate you can't really wash them and the leather has really absorbed the sweat over the years.

So any advice from someone who has successfully washer their pair or similar leather/goretex gloves would welcome any advice.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't had to wash mine yet, but here's what Hestra has to say about it: https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/article/washing-drying/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Milton’s
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wash once every 10 years seems to be quite OK i can see. Toofy Grin But you can get a new inner glove as well. https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/liners/
However I have found them difficult to find in a shop!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not quite the same gloves but they are leather and this must be the most ott video for washing gloves ever made Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/0lEGSaI0DxA
(Hipster beard optional)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hyst wrote:
Wash once every 10 years seems to be quite OK i can see. Toofy Grin But you can get a new inner glove as well. https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/liners/
However I have found them difficult to find in a shop!

Mine don't have an inner liner and that being said when I saw the new ones in the shop yesterday they didn't have an inner liner either.

I'm pretty certain the inner liner is for the non goretex version.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@extremerob, The Goretex version does not have removable liners. The Heli version (non Goretex) does. IMO. You don't need Goretex if you keep the leather conditioned and don't ski in the rain.

I speak as someone who owns the Goretex version and have yet to ski in a condition where Goretex is necessary - ie. I always ski in Jan at high resorts.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Goretex ones which weren't quite 10 years old but were also not as fresh as they were. I lathered my hands with soap or similar (can't remember exactly) and put the gloves and worked it into the ends of the fingers. Then did the same with water on my hands a few times before thoroughly drying them.

Did have some reasonable effect but not perfect!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@extremerob, if they stink then its because a huge colony of bacteria and fungus has set up shop. I have not had this problem with gloves but sure have with climbing boots. Remedy with boots is a dousing with anti-fungal powder (e.g. Boots' own) and then a shake out. Works brilliantly. I have heard that an anti-fungal spray is good too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I still have Hestra's (very good glove) but I find I hardly use them these days after swapping to the Mountain Equipment Randonee which is a Schoeller softshell (may have changed this year) with a fibre pile liner and goat skin palms. You can get them wet, wring them out and they will feel warm again after a few mins, but in cold temps they keep my hands much drier than Gore-tex gloves due to the enhanced breathability. I use them for skiing and ice climbing, also just got a longer cuff version in a sale. Much cheaper too if you look around, under £50 for last years model.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy