Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LIVE TR: La Tania 23rd to 30th December 2017 - WITH PICS!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Safely ensconced back in MK. Friday evening was a difficult one. Whilst snow was forecast my reading was that it wouldn't be as much as it was. The part about the freezing level rising and it turning to rain turned out to be true though. After staying a night in an emergency shelter in Tignes a couple of years ago I swore I wouldn't get caught again. This was a little different for a number of reasons. Firstly, we were at La Tania at 1350m and not 2000m plus. Secondly, I was hoping we could ski, which was nigh on impossible in Tignes. Another was the temperature and clearing conditions later in the day. Anyway, after a bit of a sleepless night worrying we awoke early to an already big snow fall and it still coming down. Changing plans and trying to get out at this time seemed pointless. So plan A - let the ploughs and the traffic clear the way while skiing and letting the temps rise - we stuck with. We got some relative good news that we could use the apartment until 5pm. So got everything packed and cleaned and went out at 10. The Tania bubble was open but not much else. We skied down Folyere which as you'd expect was a large dose of powder on the piste. Only trouble was it was so heavy and my daughter especially found it tough. After going up again the Bou Blanc chair lift had opened up. The wind was stronger as we went up but at this altitude the powder was much better. We lapped three times and it was a great hour of skiing. We then decided to ski the red piste down to La Tania which was hard work but OK. After we got the bubble back up we decided to call it a day as we were getting very wet and we still had to dig the car out.

So we returned to the apartment about 1pm. The wife and kids had lunch while I dug the car out. We all got changed into dry clothes, gave the apartment a final hoover and clean. Fortunately the car was facing slightly downhill and with a bit of "rocking" it got out the parking space and on to the road. Because the ploughs and rain had been through it was just down to a bit of residual ice, quite slippy under foot but OK to drive on. All our ski stuff had to be packed wet but no matter the main thing is we'd got ourselves out and on the road. We left La Tania at 2.30. Getting down to the D915 was easy enough but then it was largely a crawl until past Albertville. The rain was non stop and there were several flooded sections of road. For us the problems were then over but it was only then we realised the scale of problems for the poor bas-tards coming the other way. Backed up for mile after mile. After dinner and a bit of shopping in Chambery we had a comfortable drive to Calais, got the 6.30 tunnel and were back in MK at 8.30 UK time. More pics and thoughts later.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 19-03-18 17:39; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, Thanks for the read and pictures, been nice over the festive break Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great trip report and conditions looked great, glad your trip back was ok. We enjoyed La Tania 2 years ago in March, Folyeres is a great run though could be icy at times. Thanks for the report.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for a great report. Really enjoyed reading it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, as others have already said, thanks for the reports through out your stay, has been an enjoyable read.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
Does anyone else suffer from family faff?

My pair (14 and 13 on our trip last year) appear to have finally outgrown the morning faffing malarkey so hopefully you're near the end of this!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My lad who's 24, done 2 full seasons, is named Captain Faff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
Layne wrote:
Does anyone else suffer from family faff?

My pair (14 and 13 on our trip last year) appear to have finally outgrown the morning faffing malarkey so hopefully you're near the end of this!

You give me hope!!!

I remember when I started skiing my mate used to get on my case about faffing. Didn't quite appreciate how annoying it could be at the time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
endoman wrote:
My lad who's 24, done 2 full seasons, is named Captain Faff.

lol. There are innumerable opportunities to faff when you go skiing it has to be said. So many bits to fiddle with.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great trip report - vicarious skiing pleasure!

I sympathize with family faffing. We learned early on that a stern approach is required to get children out of bed, fed, clothed (appropriately), and into ski boots. Luckily, my OH is a primary teacher and well used to bellowing at children to get a move on without spoiling the atmosphere. Which leaves me as the main culprit...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Layne, we are two up-and-at-'ems (me and my daughter) and two morning grumps (my wife and my sone). Drives me nuckin futz.

They have not yet fully grasped the concept that we are paying exorbitant sums to ski, not lay around in bed, which they can do perfectly well at home, for much less money.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pasigal wrote:
@Layne, we are two up-and-at-'ems (me and my daughter) and two morning grumps (my wife and my sone). Drives me nuckin futz.

They have not yet fully grasped the concept that we are paying exorbitant sums to ski, not lay around in bed, which they can do perfectly well at home, for much less money.

Exactement!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy