Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

yet another pair of new skis!

Poster: A snowHead
simple really.....

Salomon X drive 80 Ti's ???

or

Dynastar Powertrack 84's

TIA you good folk of snowheads

Gferg

Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't tried any but good to hear somebody else from the bloo toon!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

I ski on the Salomon X-Drive 8.0 FS. Good all round ski that will perform a host of different radius turns on all snow types. Easy to initiate the turn and responsive but you do need to work them hard to get the best from them. I have to admit that I am not sure that I enjoy them as much as the X-Wing Tornado TI’s that I also have.

Griggs
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head something's. Or the new Salomon xdr80s
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I really like the X-Drive, but you need to be reasonably confident as I do find they're quite stiff and need a bit of working. That's not in a bad sense at all - they're well suited to bigger skiers for that reason, and also very secure when the piste gets hard.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I also own X Drive 8.0 FS... I agree with what Griggs says.

With hindsight I probably wouldn’t have bought them. Over the last year I’ve been trying to improve my piste skiing with short turns and carving turns. These skis aren’t particularly easy to learn those things on - particularly the carving. That’s not to say they don’t carve, they do, it’s just more work. I have ski-tested a number of other more piste-oriented skis and found them to be mich easier and would have been a better choice for where I am with my skiing.

Like all these things it depends what you are looking for...

I haven’t tried the Dynastars.

You’ve not asked for other recommendations so I’ll hold back!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not that i post much on here, but nobody so far seems to have an opinion on the Dynastar Powertrak 84's. So....

I have been skiing them since they were released ( i think a couple of seasons ago, so about 9 weeks). In response to what others have said about the Salomon X Drives,i would say, exactley the same as is being said about them,but i find the Dynastars require less effort to produce an enjoyable ride. I am a confident intermediate who is 90% on everything a resorts hardpack offers and dabble off the side. The Dynastars have always felt rocksolid and felt there was always a bit more to give in every situation. I bought them to replace/update from a pair of Dynastar outland 80pros that i had ruined but loved. They have proved to be a great replacement.
Have not skied the Salomons so can only offer my opinion of the Dynastars

I am 85 kilos, 5'10" and ski the 176cm's
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mancskier ..... dont hold back!! I could easy go more recommendations.....

@dibble25 ..... Thanks for that.... thats 1 of the reasons am looking at powertrack 84's... I too ski on Outland pro80's.. been a really good ski for me ....

Merry xmas all SHeads

Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can try the Scott Slight 93 give them a go. They are light and carve great, then they are also wide enough to go off the side and into the rough stuff.
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-slight-93-ski
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The most fun piste ski I’ve tried is the Atomic Redster X9, but at 65 underfoot it won’t be as much fun in crud. I like the Head Supershape iMagnum which is a bit wider and has a fairly big shovel. If you’re after something that’s more all-mountain and closer to 80 then the Head Supershape iTitan would be worth a try....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops I would have called it a bit big for the piste? And almost certainly a bit bendy for anyone looking at the X-Drive. 'The Ski' and 'Black Majic' are far more at the piste-end of 'all mountain'. I love the BM, at 76mm underfoot it's a good nimble carving ski. As @MancSkier alluded to, anything from the Head Supershape range is a pretty safe bet when it comes to a versatile piste ski.

I guess out interest @GlensheeFerg why only those two? There's a lot of other stuff around that type of ski. You could do worse than to book yourself onto the EOSB for a week and let spyderjon and swisstim furnish you with the latest offerings from all the manufacturers with a suitable amount of piste to give them a thorough test.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might be persuaded to sell a set of lightly used dynastar powertrack 84s much as I do enjoy them, I like change.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kamikaze Pete, tell me more?? am interested....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GlensheeFerg, I am up in Scotland at the moment but will have a think a get pictures at the weekend if not sooner for you. The bases are in good condition, no repairs and they are the black and orange to sheets
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dp, only these 2 as I kinda just thought they fitted my price range etc... I have seen them at decent money... having said that I am always open to advice from others who know more about the subject than me..
latest report
@Kamikaze Pete,

ok good stuff..thanks
snow report
@GlensheeFerg, probably not so very helpful, but IMV either...

- you are the sort of person who feels the differences between skis to a greater degree, in which case internet opinions from folks who have never skied with you are more or less no help

- you are not in which case buy the ones in the nice shiny colours.
snow report
@under a new name, Very Happy

I think that does basically sum up the context of asking some people on the internet which skis, from a limited and not necessarily related range of options, you should buy.
snow report
@dp, and... part of my point was based on that the OH and I tested about 5 (or 6) models, all of similar type (think Mantra), size and geometry over a few weekends and (we are both very ski sensitive) felt very big relative differences between them. All would have been fine if that was all we could get but the optimal results were what we were after.

Whereas I know at least one good skier who will happily ski very well on anything. One wouldn’t know other than by the colours...
snow conditions
Absolutely why I try everything that I buy. I can safely get to the bottom of the mountain on just about anything, but there are enough skis I've tried which I find genuinely brilliant that I know I need to identify those and seek them out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy