Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Fritschi Tecton binding to soon be usurped ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just seen Fall Line Mag and note that the Fritschi Tecton is their back country binding of the year.

The Tecton is a revamped Vipec with a more downhill orientated heel as you can see.

I've used the 2nd Gen Vipec for two seasons now and I was looking for a touring binding to go with my more downhill orientated skis to replace my lost Scott Cascade (four failed attempts in the summer to find it) mounted with heavy Guardians.

So a few months ago I deduced that the Tecton could fit the bill as it were, though I had yet to decide on a ski, and went ahead and ordered up some 110 bindings.

Build quality is very good and the revamped / upgraded toe piece looks good and as someone who is use to the Vipec should be a piece of cake for me!

For the ski, in the end I went for Black Crows Altis

I tested these (all of two or three runs but that constitutes a test for many) last year and wrote this back then, or was it the year before?

With my appetite now whetted I took the Black Crows Atris 184 at 108 out and what a fun, but capable ski managing the icy hard pack on the piste before dropping off down into the untracked glades between the trees. If I was not so much into touring this could well be the ski for me!

And then

Last run of the day, and, ironically, I was back on my own Scott 110 Cascades as I'd be dropping back to my hotel and which I've been skiing on a fair bit all season. They're still great away from the piste though their light weight is a negative when comparing it to the hardpack handling of the Black Crows Atris.

So hopefully skis and bindings will be a great match and could well be the ski I'll be using the most this season, especially in Japan Cool

Should add my boots are Salomon MTN Lab (Blue) which I skied pretty well all last season & much preferred to my Explorer's (White) which I skied the previous season.

And after a good few sessions using the binding in various snow pack and temps I'll post my thoughts as opposed to basing them on a few runs on a demo binding Toofy Grin

Taken from Fall Line Online and the actual mag

The game-changer is the reliable toe release Fritschi have added, while not piling on too much weight. Here’s Martin (our backcountry editor)’s verdict: “There has been a battle raging for a while – to justify the extra weight of a pin-binding that has a reliable toe release. Fritschi have finally nailed it.

“In addition, the toe is trigger-sensitive so you can step in and out with the greatest ease and no longer faff to get in. Then there’s the heel. Rather than holding this on two spindly pins, you now get a proper stable grip of the ski and a super-responsive performance as a result.”

And Martin Chester review

I know what you're thinking " This si the third version of this binding abd still you get excited?"

Well Fritschi have now nailed it in the battle to justify the extra weight 9f a pin binding with a reliable toe release. We are not looking at much extra weight and these niggles we had with the original have been ironed out. This toe is trigger sensitive so you can step in and out with ease and no longer faff* to get in.

Then the real magic. The Marker KingPin led the way for a pin toe with a proper heel. This goes further. Instead of holding the heel on two spindly pins you get a stable grip abd responsove preformance.

We who value our knees can now nearly have it all and this binding is the one (for now).

*My OH at times could be a serious faffer using hers even though she's had them as long as me

So Clarky999 did you actually ski them ???

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-12-17 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully this one has been developed and tested properly, and there won't be a recall in 2 months once the general public start abusing them.

The tech binding market in recent years has reminded me of the mountain bike market around 2000, where every other new component was the "best ever", only for major issues to emerge months later.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, I haven't yet, but hoping to at some point soon! Martin (who wrote the review and tests most of the touring stuff) skied them a fair bit though and actually bought a pair.

Can probably drop him a line on his FB page if you want more details about them: https://www.facebook.com/MartinChesterGuide/

Personally I'm still using Kingpins - but I've seen some VERY interesting (leaked?) photos of a new Pindung style binding in development from one of the big names... Plus now Dulcarama is designing bindings for Dynafit I'm expecting something rad from them in the next few years too!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PowderAdict, know what you mean!

Positive is that it's been a continual development from Fritschi and it's not totally new - and there is a new engineered Vipec as well with the rear pin bindings, so that's 4 Generation!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good choice. Atris plus pin binding is a really good all round combination and isn't really that heavy. Same as a light ski and a frame binding really.

Really interested to see how the Tecton pans out. Yes, there have clearly been some breakage issues with the Vipec but there doesn't appear to be a pattern to it. Some of the TGR lot appear to be thrashing them pretty hard without experiencing problems. I've also spoken to guides using them full time without problems so we will see. I like that I'll be able to take the Blacks off my skis at some point and drop in a Tecton without the need for new holes. Waiting for the price to drop a lot before then.

@clarky999, intriguing. I could not see what Camille Jaccoux has on his skis at 8.49 in the link below. Not something I recognised. That what you are referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=529&v=VnKO70399rU
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gorilla, can't tell from the video, there's some info dotted around various threads on TGR though. (e.g. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/309114-Salomon-New-tech-alpine-binding)

I haven't heard anything official about, but the need for an AFD is interesting (to me anyway - I just don't like the feel on tech bindings outside powder)

[img]https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=215355&d=1509979755[/img]

Edit: can't make that image embed for some reason, but if you stick it in your address bar it should work
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, apparently so Wink

@Weathercam, had a play with a pair of tectons back in September. The heel unit is very stiff - far more so than a vipec but little apparent associated weight penalty. The vipec heel rocks on its rails - the tecton doesn’t. The hole pattern on old vipec, new vipec and tecton is identical. WIN snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, let's get these bad boyz mounted and give them a try Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well have to say testing the bindings a la shop mode (on the rug in the lounge), stepping in was so sweet - just could not believe how easy it was, they certainly are now top of the class for ease of entry with a tech binding.

Going into walk mode also has a very cool simple touch, which will be advantageous on some long flat run outs / run ins, where I can switch quickly between downhill and walk mode letting me go into x-country ski mode and slide much faster than simply poling along. (is it two l's or one?) ********

The brakes also stay down in walk mode until you press down, another nice touch.

Will give them an outdoor stint tomorrow.

***** so I checked on Google the spelling and this was top of the list Laughing
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ski%20Poling
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the words of my OH these binding are a "game changer".

I just look on and think I'm probably going to get another two days skiing in this season. That's if I add up how long I'm usually standing around waiting for her to get into her old Vipecs Toofy Grin

She's straight in without any problems. They are just so easy.

I've now skied on them a fair amount and they are great for what I want. Though have to admit to yesterday ski coming off but think that was more to do with me not concentrating too carefully as it was obvious I was going to get into mine before @KenX, managed to get into his normal Alpine bindings and just maybe I was not right in rolling eyes

The only issue is that unfortunately I think Diamir's reputation is still in taters after the perceived issues with the Vipec which on the whole I think to be unfair as I've used mine along with the OH now for three seasons without any problems (apart from the OH getting in to them).

A guy in the shop here was not too complimentary about them referring to the problems with Vipecs and how they would not be stocking the Tecton and today was chatting to a guide who was also not going to be swayed.

In fact three days ago there was a meeting of UIAGM Guides in the Region and a rep from Diamir was there and was not that successful at promoting the new binding as they all too had jaundiced views.

That said over on Teton Gravity Forums there's a very positive buzz about them.

However now looks like it's all about the new Touring binding from Atomic and Salomon

What’s that, another new touring binding? Yup, Atomic and Salomon have announced the release of the new SHIFT binding, their attempt to combine a tech-style toe piece with an alpine-style heel, and thus create the ultimate freeride binding for the backcountry.

Just wonder what the retail will be and will weight be an issue for the purists?

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, There is a thread running on the Salomon already:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3145094&sid=0f87f705f0ae6e47de2fc1c437c2ce47#3145094
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PowderAdict, Doooooohhhhh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy