Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort advice for family in February

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. We have been trying to find somewhere to go skiing in the February half term. There are so many places we don't know where to start! We can't even decide on a country.

It's for me, the wife and two kids aged 8 and 13.

- Me and the kids have only been once before so it must have lots of blue/green slopes.
- Somewhere without outrageously long transfers. Near geneva would be ideal.
- Somewhere that's not going to be overcrowded with long queues for the lifts.
- A smaller resort would be fine, we won't need 100's of miles of slopes.
- Would be nice is it was reasonably priced although I know this is difficult.

Looking to hire a studio/apartment for self catering although we are flexible on this.

We have looked at the popular ones - flaine, morzine etc but I was hoping someone could suggest a hidden gem, somewhere a bit less busy.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@anorto, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I am biased.
And nowhere in France is truly quiet at february HT.
But Les Contamines ticks every item on your list
http://www.lescontamines.com/

We've taken beginners there and it works well
75 mins drive from GVA
Quiet by French Feb HT standards and the queues are easily avoidable
Plenty big enough for a week
Prices (lift passes and accommodation) are quite a lot cheaper than the 3v, PDS, EK etc
few hotels but loads of appartments

despite my signature I'm not trying to let you our place - we'll be there and are not really letting it this year - but happy to give you tips if you have questions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

nowhere in France is truly quiet at february HT.

True. And it's a peak week for prices in all resorts. One to look at is Praz sur Arly. It's part of the Espace Diamant (192 kms piste, though you won't need anything like that amount) but one of the quieter parts, because there's a new fast 8 man chair to get quickly up from the valley. In contrast Les Saisies (where I have an apartment) is very busy at half term - I make a point of never being there!

You could look at Pila in Italy. I've not been there but there's lots of information about it on Snowheads and it sounds like it might tick your boxes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As luck would have it, the lovely family Flangesax have some half term availability (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133457&highlight=

This would be a perfect option for a family, reasonably priced and answers all your requirements.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@anorto, obviously nowhere near Geneva but we have booked Salen, Sweden (flying into Oslo) for our family (children are 8 & 11) for Feb half term. We booked the accommodation via Ski Star. Won’t know how it works until we get there obviously but have found it very affordable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Worth a look at Pra de Lys, short distance from GVA less brits, decent area and cost of passes food etc.

It's much more a french ski station, less sold over here but really nice to ski if, as you list, don't need a super resort with big mileage.

Snow's always been good when been there with family also.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replies ppl. I will have a look at the suggestions.
Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just been looking at les contained and I'm wondering if there is enough "easy" slopes for me and kids?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Damn auto correct, that should be les contamines
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les contamines has plenty of easy stuff. Lots of nice gentle cruising. I've taken various cautious skiers over there and they've all loved it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@queen bodecia, ahhh fanks for the shout out... this one isn't even for the benefit of my massively bulging wallet either wink

Basically the place is booked with some old school friends (the powers of facebook), one family has pulled out and needs to sell on their space (I'm already getting all my wonga).
The make up is 2 other families with kids a very similar age to your own.

I'll forward on some details and more info if you drop me a line and are interested.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with @jedster, Les C is a good shout or Saint Gervais which is 8 minutes away & slightly bigger. Both seem to have managed to stay of the major tour operators radar which makes your day a bit more relaxed.
My 14 year old loves skiing but he's not the greatest at it & he has plenty of Greens & blues to keep him amused for the week.
They are not boom boom party towns but have enough to keep all but the hardened party goers amused.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think most places near Geneva will be busy at half term.

You could fly to Turin and go to Montgenevre

Or fly to Geneva and hire a car to visit one of the slightly off the beaten track places in the Maurienne such as Val Cenis/Termingnon. It is probably 3 hours drive to the ski areas in this area from Geneva.

Praz de lys is a small resort near Geneva but I haven't been to it so cannot say what it would be like.

You could also look at Le grand bornand which is near Geneva and has some excellent slopes for beginners and intermediates.

We have been to all the above (except praz de lys) with peak retreats. They have a lot of smaller resorts on their website so would recommend looking there. The prices include Eurotunnel flexi plus so if you want to fly you can deduct the Eurotunnel ticket.

I would also consider going at Easter instead as if you pick a resort with north facing slopes at high altitude you can still have good snow conditions then and you would get a lot more for your money on the accommodation front and be able to enjoy skiing in less crowded conditions. We have been to the following at Easter and all have been good - Les Carroz, Montgenevre, Val Cenis, sainte foy and les Arcs. les carroz was lacking snow at Easter this last season but there was still masses of slow in Flaine which it is linked to.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm with @jedster, Les C is a good shout or Saint Gervais which is 8 minutes away & slightly bigger.

I was going to mention St G (which I generally think is great VFM for families and well suited for inexperienced skiers) but IME it is significantly more busy than Les C at Feb HT. At that time I'd definitely favour Les C.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy