Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

weather in tignes vs val thorens

Poster: A snowHead
hello:)

I am planning a vacation to France on the 20th of December,

which site would be a safer choice from a wether perspective around these dates?

As is understood, tinges have a better chanses for good snow conditions but have the risk of slopes closing due to high winds. is this an actual concern?

thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can’t help with the question, but welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val D'Isere / Tignes are generally accepted to be more snow sure.

Back a few years ago, I was staying in Courchevel at the start of the season. The snow conditions were dire, with the 3V links closed. We were bussed a couple of days to VT and one day to Tignes. The snow conditions in Tignes were noticeably better.

Winds and blizzards are always a risk - in either resort. About 3 years ago in Tignes (Jan) - high winds and blizzards closed all but the free lifts, cutting skiing time by at least half.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
guy6000,

Welcome to Snowheads.

Tignes and Val Thorens are both high level and above the treeline; and are equally exposed to bad weather conditions. As the crow flies, they are quite close to each other - so if one area is suffering from wind the other area is likely to be similarly affected.

However, we've skied both areas a lot over the years and haven't lost a lot of time to lift closures due to wind. Thats included regular December skiing - in fact annually for the past 20 years.

Each should have good snow conditions at that time of year so it's really a case of tossing a coin to decide where to ski.

You should have a good time, whatever you decide. wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister wrote:
guy6000,

Welcome to Snowheads.

Tignes and Val Thorens are both high level and above the treeline; and are equally exposed to bad weather conditions. As the crow flies, they are quite close to each other - so if one area is suffering from wind the other area is likely to be similarly affected.

However, we've skied both areas a lot over the years and haven't lost a lot of time to lift closures due to wind. Thats included regular December skiing - in fact annually for the past 20 years.

Each should have good snow conditions at that time of year so it's really a case of tossing a coin to decide where to ski.

You should have a good time, whatever you decide. wink

I believe the greater likelihood of better conditions in Espace Killy, is down to its proximity to the Italian Border - as described by "WeatherTwoSki":

Although it's on the northern side of the Alps, its proximity to the Italian border means that snow can also arrive from the south-east, a privilege not extended to other nearby mega-resorts such as Courchevel or La Plagne.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you believe in such a thing called "wisdom of the crowd" (please, no Brexit innuendos to follow Skullie ), look at the annual SnowHeads bashes: every December in Tignes (I am under the impression of better early conditions and less exposed lifts prone to close in bad weather) and every mid April In Val Thorens (better holding the snow that late).
I suffered from lift closures and major shut offs in both places, December and April. Anything can happen on the mountain. Still I enjoy Tignes more, December and April.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val d'Isere.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
guy6000 wrote:

which site would be a safer choice from a wether perspective around these dates?

As is understood, tinges have a better chanses for good snow conditions but have the risk of slopes closing due to high winds. is this an actual concern?

thanks Very Happy

I'll let you know on the 19th December for sure snowHead too Mr. Green
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Val d’isere and Tignes are less rocky than Val Thorens which may be a factor in the number and quality of open runs during the early season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@guy6000, obviously there are no guarantees but I don't think you'll have an issue. Val Thorens opens around the 20th Nov, and will generally always get a few runs open even in the worst conditions.

A whole month later you should be totally fine. Unless it's a terrible start to the season, but if it is then that will no doubt affect everywhere near by including Tignes.

Val Thorens this morning...

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In 2016 we stayed in Meribel for a week in mid December. Despite the fact that there was no natural snow below 2000m we had a fantastic time. The snowmaking efforts and excellent piste preparation meant that 50% of the runs were open in the Meribel and Courchevel valleys, with more in the Belleville valley.

I would have no worries about visiting the 3 Valleys from mid December onwards. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Poogle wrote:
guy6000 wrote:

thanks Very Happy

This is actually a perfectly sensible point, do you have to decide early?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If either of them are suffering then it is going to be a bad ski season.

Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

I'd go to Tignes. In fact I am going to Tignes, but a few weeks earlier than you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I go to Tignes in December most years the skiing may be restricted to the Grande Motte glacier and its associated runs but have always enjoyed it. Will be there 2nd week of December. I cannot comment on Val Thorens as only been once.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:
Poogle wrote:
guy6000 wrote:

thanks Very Happy

This is actually a perfectly sensible point, do you have to decide early?

I might have made a sensible point — but it was purely by accident I assure you!

Flights to Geneva around that date are very cheap at present, and still maybe pretty cheap much closer to your dates. Why not just buy return flights to Geneva now; but wait until you are closer to the time to choose where to go? There will always be accommodation and transfers available.
snow conditions
@Poogle, +1
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy