Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SWISS £25 discount code. Beware of new BA ski & boot charges.

Poster: A snowHead
BA now charge £36.00 GBP each-way for skis (as an extra bag), Economy Plus, Gatwick or Stansted. And from Heathrow or London City they charge £60.00 each-way. Both are online prices.

And, they are VERY CLEAR on their website that a boot bag will be charged as an ADDITIONAL BAG. So please be aware:

"If you’re travelling with your skis/snowboard in a bag and your ski/snowboard boot-bag as well as your free checked baggage allowance, you will be charged for two extra bags."

Who knows what you can get-away with at the check-in desk though. Better to carry your boots in a small backpack as cabin baggage.

Easyjet charge extra for skis, but that includes a separate boot bag.

SWISS will take your skis and boot bag free of charge — in addition to your included 23Kg checked bag. WARNING: If you choose the "light" option, which is cabin bag only, and then add a checked bag later, you CANNOT then get free ski and boot bag carriage. There is also a £25.00 discount code for London - Geneva flights that covers the ski season: SWISSUKLONGVA17, plus www.quidco.com will give you a further 1.2% discount. But to get the £25 discount, you have to book by 31st December 2017 for travel up to 30th April 2018; and the ticket price (before discount) has to be a minimum of £95.00.

So often, SWISS will be your cheapest option from London.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-11-17 20:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know if this is new or has always been like this but I'm sure it will be fine if you ignore it. They only weigh baggage then send you to the oversize lane. I've tweeted BA for a response.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My reading of the BA rules remains that if you're taking skis/boots within your included allowance (i.e. as one of the 1,2 or 3 bags you may already be allowed depending on ticket and status) there's still no charge. Thus with e.g. 2 people on a booking, then 2 pairs of skis in one bag and a big holdall is fine.

Maybe we should have a "baggage allowance sharing" thread for those of us who never even get close to our allowance!

I can verify that Swiss code works, albeit only for London originating flights costing over £100. I used it earlier this week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowdave wrote:
My reading of the BA rules remains that if you're taking skis/boots within your included allowance (i.e. as one of the 1,2 or 3 bags you may already be allowed depending on ticket and status) there's still no charge. Thus with e.g. 2 people on a booking, then 2 pairs of skis in one bag and a big holdall is fine.

Yes you can take Skis as part of your allowance but the "pack boots separately" is new as fr as I'm aware.

Quote:

Maybe we should have a "baggage allowance sharing" thread for those of us who never even get close to our allowance!

Or a SH lounge-access buddy thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am looking at Swiss flights as a possibility for the possible Family Bash. The late in the day flights are cheaper than the earlier flights I would prefer. However they also offer a flex fare. For the evening flight this comes in at £98 which says you can switch to an earlier flight that day as long as seats are available in that class. Has anybody used this and know the technical ins and outs. I was wondering if we could book that flight then the next day switch onto the morning flight saving £80 across the family? When I bring up the info for each flight and look at the class details EVERY flight that day uses different letters for the different economy / business class seats to the end their flights that day? Is this there way of effectively preventing letting you use the “flex” capability?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BA has also amended different class baggage.

I fly one way business class & back in Economy.
This used to allow me the higher luggage allowance for both flights at the higher rate.
ie 2x bags @ 32kg

Now it has been changed to you can only carry what is in that ticket allowance.
so 2x bags @ 32kg one way & 1x bag at 23kg the other...

So, no more flying BA on ski trips for me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, my interpretation of the fare rules is that it's fully flex on the day of travel (same deal as equivalent BA fares) as long as there is availability in the relevant cabin, irrespective of ticket price. Availability can be a catch, there may not be 4 seats available.

If you can get the price just over £100 and book each person individually, the discount code@Poogle, posted earlier would get you £25 off per person.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, so I would have to wait until the day we travel to find out if there are seats available? Or can i request the change sooner?

The £98 / £128 Price’s are for one leg. Is there any risk in booking individually to get £25 of for each flyer? Any issues with 2 of the party being children?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
@snowdave, so I would have to wait until the day we travel to find out if there are seats available? Or can i request the change sooner?
Only on the day if it operates the same as the BA option. If you want to change flight times before the day of travel you have to pay an amendment fee and possibly the difference in price between the seats that you are changing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think these are new charges with BA. They've always allowed just one bag as your checked allowance with Economy (Plus) fares, which is 23kg. I always just made sure to pack everything in with my skis and usually put my boots in hand luggage.

They used to apply 2x 32kg allowance both ways if you fly business class one way as @Mr.Egg says above, which was great value if you managed to bag a cheap upgrade online - but this has now been discontinued unfortunately.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, only on the day is my reading of the Swiss flex fare rules (unless you pay the difference). I've not actually booked a Swiss flex fare tho', I've often found it cheaper to book 2 tickets for 2 different flights than one flexible one, but obviously that's not the case for you.

Risk in booking individually is that if something happens (e.g. cancellation or delay) then you get split onto different aircraft in the rebooking process. Low probability, but maybe if you wanted to be safe you'd book 2 pairs, one adult + child in each.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Confirmed with BA Twitter: 1 x ski bag + 1 x boot bag = £240 return charge Heathrow — Geneva. Crazy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poogle wrote:
Confirmed with BA Twitter: 1 x ski bag + 1 x boot bag = £240 return charge Heathrow — Geneva. Crazy.

You can always take skis and clothes in the ski bag and boots etc in cabin with a laptop style second bag and it is in the standard baggage allowance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Poogle wrote:

You can always take skis and clothes in the ski bag and boots etc in cabin with a laptop style second bag and it is in the standard baggage allowance.

I think this is what I'm going to do in future, ski carriage prices are getting ridiculous!

But is it OK to take a ski bag with all your clothes etc in? Or do they charge extra as it's oversized, or because it's skis?

I've got a small cabin-sized case which my boots would fit in so that would be fine.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Poogle wrote:

I think this is what I'm going to do in future, ski carriage prices are getting ridiculous!

But is it OK to take a ski bag with all your clothes etc in? Or do they charge extra as it's oversized, or because it's skis?

I've got a small cabin-sized case which my boots would fit in so that would be fine.

Hi HoneyBunny.

I generally pack my ski bag with clothes and take boots in my Cabin bag. I've just bought a new RAB 50L bag that can take a lot I'll post a sad geek review soon) and all put in boots and a couple of days clothes in it. So I will always do this. I get essentially unlimited luggage on BA 2 hold bags (64kg) and 2 cabin bags but I'll just do one hold and one cabin.
snow report
As I booked b4 the change I still have 2x32kg plus one cabin bag and an ickle manbag for the BB trip from LHR to Venice even though club out but return cattle class. One of the 32kg can be a ski bag but must be 190cm or less long which is tight as many of the decent multi ski bags are 200cm long overall! My longest skis are 186 so is tight as duck's proverbials if i take quiver. Anyone have any experience of getting bad news with BA for a 200cm bag?
TBH in future i'll just go club both ways as the diference was not a lot and still v competitive with the cheapo lines when i add getting to an airport which, while called london is nowhere near.
latest report
mcspreader wrote:
Anyone have any experience of getting bad news with BA for a 200cm bag?

Never had any issue, and I don't think you would do. I have seen all sorts of very long bag at the collection points for all the airlines.
snow report
I took 210cm last year (not a single pair of skis, but the only way to get 4 pairs into a double bag involved some longitudinal tesselation). I've never seen BA measure a bag.
snow report
Quote:

As I booked b4 the change I still have 2x32kg plus one cabin bag and an ickle manbag for the BB trip from LHR to Venice even though club out but return cattle class. One of the 32kg can be a ski bag but must be 190cm or less long which is tight as many of the decent multi ski bags are 200cm long overall! My longest skis are 186 so is tight as duck's proverbials if i take quiver. Anyone have any experience of getting bad news with BA for a 200cm bag?
TBH in future i'll just go club both ways as the diference was not a lot and still v competitive with the cheapo lines when i add getting to an airport which, while called london is nowhere near.

my snowboard bag is over 190cm & I have not had any issue. As you take them to the oversized baggage area that is manned by Heathrow staff rather than BA - I doubt that person knows every baggage rule for every airline that uses the airport (though you could argue he should for T5!).

As for filling it.... You should see some of the snowboarders bags that go through. - But I do try to split my luggage, incase one bag gets lost - I at least have a change of clothes, etc.
snow report
Yep I have boots, Helmet, ski trousers, and enough socks pants T-shirt to do a couple of days. The rest goes in the ski bag.
ski holidays
I'm not sure the BA rules have changed at all this year so the post title seems at best confusing.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'm not sure the BA rules have changed at all this year so the post title seems at best confusing.

Last year, like most other airlines, if you paid for a ski bag, then you could include a separate a boot bag as well. But this year, it seems that BA are being very specific, and stating in their T&Cs that a boot bag counts as an extra bag.

That would mean that if you got to the airport, and need to pay to check-in a boot bag, it could cost you up to £65 GBP each way.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/modalContent/information/baggage-essentials/extra-and-overweight-baggage/current-shorthaul-economy.html

But I think you are correct on the point that their ski carriage cost has not changed since last year — but still, be aware, they are charging so much!

Return Heathrow - Geneva with BA would cost you an extra £240 GBP in total for a ski bag and a boot bag. SWISS is FOC for both.
latest report
@Poogle, I don't think BA ever allowed a boot bag as inclusive of a ski bag. But who needs a boot bag anyway?
latest report
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

who needs a boot bag anyway?

Presumably those who, like me, carry their boots as hand luggage? (The fact that I use a quaint little shopping trolley for that purpose is neither here nor there. Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
@Hurtle, my point exactly.... no need for a separate boot bag in the hold at all. I use a wheelie case as hand luggage with boots, brace and mojo
latest report
@holidayloverxx, oh, in the hold - I see what you mean.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Poogle, I don't think BA ever allowed a boot bag as inclusive of a ski bag. But who needs a boot bag anyway?

They used to, at least a couple of years ago. I have a special email from them I used to show at check-in if there were any arguements snowHead

And you in many cases you are correct, you can just take your boots on board has hand luggage — in theory. I have twice had to argue with the security guy that my ski boots are not a "weapon" and so I should be allowed to take them on-board.

In my case, I like to take a smaller case as hand-luggage as well, so having the boots as check-in baggage is a real help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey would anyone happen to have the latest Swiss £25 code available and can share. I know they usually are handing it out the Telegraph Ski and Snowboard show but would like to book some flights beforehand. Thanks in advance.
latest report
I believe that there’s one for scgb members- might be worth a child membership!
latest report
Would someone be able to confirm it is in fact working - or even maybe even be kind enough to share it? Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
Yes the scgb one works.

No, I won’t share it!
snow report
me neither! I don't have to. Toofy Grin
latest report
Where is the love?

A discount of £25 from London to Geneva economy class flights with SWISS is redeemable on fares over £100 using promo code SWISSUKTSM19 and can be applied on payment page of www.swiss.com. Promotional period: 1st September 2019 to 30th October 2019. Travel period: 1st December 2019 to 30th April 2020.
ski holidays
Poogle wrote:

Return Heathrow - Geneva with BA would cost you an extra £240 GBP in total for a ski bag and a boot bag. SWISS is FOC for both.

Shocked Shocked
snow report
Put boots in checked baggage, not separate bag.
snow report
I got a shock when this topic popped up, I thought there were some new BA charges of which I wasn’t aware and we are away with them at Xmas but luckily an old thread.

As pam w says boots in checked bag or even into your hand luggage as BA is pretty generous in terms of hand luggage size, if not weight, and boots can easily fit in a bag they allow. Then they (arguably your most important piece of personalised skiing kit) are less likely to get lost.
snow conditions
As an aside did I dream about a thread bemoaning Swiss's supposed new policy yesterday?
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
As an aside did I dream about a thread bemoaning Swiss's supposed new policy yesterday?

There was something arguing if there was a new Swiss policy or not on taking a ski bag in addition to checked bag but cant find it now.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro started it, there was some discussion about it and debate about who was correct. I suspect he has deleted it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy