Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Olympic News

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Half-pipe: Lesley McKenna, the perennial British snowboarder who might have been in with a chance of a medal in the half-pipe, has unfortunately crashed out on both runs. Team mate Kate Foster has also failed to make today's final...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bum.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG wrote:
Half-pipe: Lesley McKenna, the perennial British snowboarder who might have been in with a chance of a medal in the half-pipe, has unfortunately crashed out on both runs. Team mate Kate Foster has also failed to make today's final...

What an absolutely pathetic performance, shouldn't even have been there... no not Lesley but the sub-Jonathan Woss commentator the BBC has employed. "Hannah Teeter, the Tiramasu of womens snowboarding, cream on her face, sponge fingers and a bit of whiskey.". Stoked? Gutted more likes.

Seriously there is a whole universe separating Lesley and Hannah Teeter, as Lesley said, things have moved on since Salt Lake.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, Very Happy

To be fair on Lesley though, she broke an ankle not that long ago and is only just getting back into competition, she said herself that the Olympics just came too soon...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For those that haven't seen Lesley's 2 runs, the video is on the BBC's winter olympics website.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No disrespect intended to Lesley McKenna or any other snowboarders, but did anybody else watching the half pipe yesterday feel as though they were being subjected to a video of some local kids messing about in the Park rather than Olympic athletes?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

as Lesley said, things have moved on since Salt Lake.

Yeah they can now successfully drop into a pipe! Laughing Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Trenmold, I did think that about most of the women's competition, maybe the top two girls were just about getting there....nah. The top three men did impress me though - much against my better judgement. However I still think that there's more skill, artistry and athleticism on show in oooh...ice-dancing!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN,

Well it wasn't just the standard of the competition (although I agree the top two ladies were very good), it was the fixation with Oakley goggles permanently welded to the head, the high fives and two fingered victory signs to the camera at the bottom of the course and the general demeanour of the competitors that did it for me!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trenmold, but you have to remember that these are mostly American kids (and the odd Ozzie)....so you can't really expect much else from them really rolling eyes Wink . There didn't seem to be much high-5-ing from the Japs, none from those from the Alpine countries, and the Finns are a pretty dour lot at the best of times - but then those had pretty much all come down on their ar$es Very Happy .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kids with million dollar annual endorsement deals
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trenmold wrote:
No disrespect intended to Lesley McKenna or any other snowboarders, but did anybody else watching the half pipe yesterday feel as though they were being subjected to a video of some local kids messing about in the Park rather than Olympic athletes?

I thought exactly the same. Not wishing to decry the skills I''m absolutely sure that someone with some athletic ability from gymnastics, trampolining or diving could bring a different dimension to the tricks on display. I openly admit that I don't know much about the half pipe, but should we not be seeing double / triple somersaults as part of the tricks on display? They seem to get enough air to at least chuck a couple in. Or am I being unfair?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BOD, I think the problem with somersaults is that if you don't land them perfectly you get very badly injured, I believe the name for a somersault is a crippler, don't forget that landing on the edge of the half pipe from a height of say 3 or 4 M above would be like landing on the edge of a wall causing potentially very serious injuries
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me the most impressive run was not a medallist but 4th-placed Kelly Clark. On her 2nd run she was going as high as the guys; unfortunately she "sketched out" (= landed on her @rse) at the end and so didn't get the gold medal that the run would surely have earned.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the sub-Jonathan Woss commentator the BBC has employed

The sub-Jonathan Woss commentator you speak of is Ed Leigh.
Ed has done more to promote snowboarding & snow sports in genenral than the majority of posters on this board. Ed is also the Vice President of the British Snowboard Association & started snowboarding in 1988 in fact he financed his first board by saving up his paper round money & was one of the 1st professional British riders in the UK.
If Ed's commentry is slghtly unorthodox then maybe thats because he reflects & embodies the diversity & colorfulness of the sport for which he has such a passion.

BOD
It is quite common these days for snowboarders to practice their ticks on a trampoline but as D G Orf said the problem is in landing, the principal with a rotation is that by moving your head you body should follow, fine if you are doing horizontal rotations & you can see where you are due to land, however add in latteral rotations & your looking for a landing spot which you can't see. Add in to this the fact that you are also moving at a rate of knots across your landing zone & it becomes becomes a more difficult than landing in more or less the same spot on a tramp.

PS before anyone asks or infers otherwise I ski wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy