Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bottle loss and how to prevent it...

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer, Just an idea - maybe try some low grade winter climbs in twisty snow gullies. Roped up so safe, but stop/start on a lot steeper terrain than you would usually ski, as a climb can take several hours you do get very used to being in the situation. I found coming into skiing from a climbing background that I feel very confident on steep ground above drops, even though I can't actually ski them due to being crap and lack of experience.

Glad to take you around Snowdonia if you ever fancy it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-02-06 20:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, FWIW, you were misled about the skis. The B2s are not really made for off-piste, and a B3 or B4 would have served you much better, I think.

BTW, start saving now. I think that the ESA next year would be perfect for helping you get over this! Besides, then we could finally ski together (although I do plan to make it to the EoSB in '07 if there's any way I can make it work!).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, can't make the ESA next year, with any luck I should be doing a season. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, good idea, I may take you up on the offer. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer,

Do you know how to self arrest or do a hip check in soft snow to break a fall/slide? I found after I could do these my fear of falling on steep offpiste was a lot less.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB, in theory yes. To be honest these weren't places with huge exposure, just I didn't feel that comfortable standing on them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
.........then you'll have testing chances and Zag should be coming ....

Martin Bell was on Zag's last week. Pretty good (15m?) sidecut for such a fat ski. Very impressive - or maybe that was the user wink .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, can you identify the source of your discomfort?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, he arcs pretty sweet turns, doesn't he? Wow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh wrote:
spyderjon, he arcs pretty sweet turns, doesn't he? Wow!

Apparently, his brother's better Laughing (an ESA group joke, you had to be there wink ).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got him on video on that first day. I'll dig through my video files to see if I have it or if dchan does. Worth emulating!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ssh wrote:
I got him on video on that first day. I'll dig through my video files to see if I have it or if dchan does. Worth emulating!

I know you did. I reckon that the guy following him in the orange jacket has better style though Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, wasn't he the guy to whom I said something about his skis? Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh, Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa,

Thats not a bad idea.... I was never scared of flying but going up in a 4 seater puts it in better perspective just like being on the end of a rope could...

But the freeze must come from thinking you can't do it, even though you know you've skied steeper before
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Kramer, Just an idea - maybe try some low grade winter climbs in twisty snow gullies. Roped up so safe, but stop/start on a lot steeper terrain than you would usually ski, as a climb can take several hours you do get very used to being in the situation. I found coming into skiing from a climbing background that I feel very confident on steep ground above drops, even though I can't actually ski them due to being lack of experience.

Glad to take you around Snowdonia if you ever fancy it.

Now there's a good idea. A snowheads' rock-climbing/scrambling section in the summer Very Happy
latest report
Nick Zotov, rockHeads? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson, you're getting the idea Very Happy
latest report
Nick Zotov, Or an ice climbing week in la Grave or Ceillac - both of which also have a smallish ski resort.
snow report
I've had no winter climbing this year - bug all in condition in Raindonia Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
DB, "Do you know how to self arrest or do a hip check in soft snow to break a fall/slide?" Care to explain these techniques? I fall over a lot so these could come in handy.
latest report
Clive wrote:
DB, "Do you know how to self arrest or do a hip check in soft snow to break a fall/slide?" Care to explain these techniques? I fall over a lot so these could come in handy.

The "Hip Check" is for soft snow, "Self Arresting" is to stop yourself slidding on steep terrain.

http://www.couloirmag.com/articles/techniques/falling.htm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy