Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France v Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Somewhat bemused!!
I was recently back in the UK with my wife to visit relatives. In the local swimming pool she was chatting to a lady and the subject of where we were from came up. Cutting a long story short she said she was going skiing with friends for the first - and going to France! Her friends go every year, they don't go to Austria because it is much more expensive!! They fly to Geneva, hire a car, stay in an apartment (small), en-route stop at the hypermarket and stock up with cereals for breakfast and food for all meals. Told to buy lots of chocolate to eat on the mountain (because their friends say it is expensive on the mountain). They don't eat out at all.
She then said to my wife - and if France is this expensive then it must cost a fortune to go skiing in Austria.
My wife put her straight!! Then asked her where her friends have been in Austria that was so expensive.
"Oh, they have never been!" was her reply!!
Need I say anymore!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She forgot to mention the lack of snow in Austria too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Let's be fair here. France is awesome but so are Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, USA, in fact anywhere with snow. However the way they structure their holiday isn't my idea on a holiday at all. I consider being on holiday when all the cooking and cleaning is done for you.

We've stayed in some fantastic hotels in Austria and IMO the people are second to none when it comes to hospitality. Generally the facilities are superior in terms of swimming pools etc, perfect foe the kids. For anyone who hasn't been to Austria, I would urge them to try, wonderful country.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are plenty of folks who would never ski in France because it's so awful. Full of rude people and high rise apartment blocks. And plenty who've never skied in Austria because it's full of dirndls, dumplings and even cheesier music than France.

Also people who have skied in both but prefer one to the other for a variety of sound reasons.

Takes all sorts...... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some friends in France last year at New Year - had a very nice walking holiday! However my brother enjoyed skiing on a white road down a green mountain in Austria. Thank God for snow canons!!
Lets hope this season brings bucket loads all over Europe so that wherever anyone is we all have a great time.
It has started well - lets hope it continues.
Love dirndls! France full of French people!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So this isn't Austria vs France, this is How Much You Like Austria thread. OK. Having been there I disagree, but then I was told when I got back first that St Anton wasn't Austria, then Mayrhofen wasn't Austria, so I remain confused because on the map they are definitely both in Austria, and neither was frankly much cop. Apparently I should be going to Austria Austria, which isn't either of above and perhaps some other places, all help on which resorts are actually Austria with these mythical £25 lift passes and £5 lunches much appreciated.

Also what is the Austrian version of UCPA?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It does raise the question of which generalities about skiing destinations tend to be true.

Austrian ski schools more ‘user friendly’ than France and the ESF. Yes, I reckon this is probably true.
Italian mountain food is probably better than elsewhere, although there are plenty of exceptions. Yes, in my experience.
Friendliness of the natives? Not sure who comes out on top, I’ve found most to be pretty friendly, but probably not France.

Where do I like skiing? Most places, but especially France! I love the huge ski areas and the fact that I can speak the language (up to a point).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is this new popcorn thread!?

Checking in....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was a good match, France clearly had the run on possession but a 1:1 result seemed fair.

France Vs Austria
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
There are plenty of folks who would never ski in France because it's so awful. Full of rude people...

Takes all sorts...... wink

The Froggies are ok, it's all those Brits! (Snowheads excepted, of course!) Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Digger - my topic was what people were saying about the expense of Austria compared to France - but have never been to Austria to make an informed decision.
Many people have many different experiences of both countries when it comes to snow conditions and accommodation and prices vary in a many different resorts both in France and Austria.
However on a personal basis I have experienced both countries and I find it extremely expensive to drink and eat out in France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I enjoy skiing and snowboarding. I don't mind where I go, whether it be Austria, France, Italy, etc etc.

Some people just like to think that they have made the best choice, whether they know anything about the alternative, or not. Your friends probably say they prefer driving whatever make of car they have, over one they've never driven, in order to validate their purchase.

Tell them it's fine to enjoy both countries and not to worry too much. People seem to get very hung up on things like this.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's only one way to settle this............

What are the rules in the sauna ? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Moved to Austria, I see. So it isn't really France vs Austria at all. It is uninformed people vs informed people. That makes more sense, but then your suggestion about it being extremely expensive to eat and drink in France suggests you're not in camp 2. You need to compare apples with apples. My experience of big Austrian resorts with similar ski area to somewhere like 3 valleys or PDS was that they basically cost the same. Then again my experience is that if you want cheap food and drink on a mountain forget France and Austria, and go to Italy. Or Bulgaria.

All this said, you won't change the opinion of people who have a preconceived idea of something unless they see it for themselves. Incest might be simply tremendous, but I'm never going to find out...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Moved to Austria wrote:
They fly to Geneva, hire a car, stay in an apartment (small), en-route stop at the hypermarket and stock up with cereals for breakfast and food for all meals. Told to buy lots of chocolate to eat on the mountain (because their friends say it is expensive on the mountain). They don't eat out at all.

Well, we drive direct from the UK and don't fly/hire, and we take a packed lunch rather than just relying on chocolate but other than that the cap fully fits. We could afford to eat out every day if we wished but for us that is not what it is about. For us the holiday part is the mountains, the skiing, sitting in your smelly thermals drinking a fresh cup of tea at the end of the day, eating what we want, when we want, picnicking on the mountain. I've done catered chalets (some good ones, some not so good) and I've eaten on the mountain and in resort on occasion to be sociable or as a chalet/apartment night off. Personally I really dislike doing a lunchtime meal. It takes time, it's a faff, I feel a bit stuffed and I know it's a quiet time on the slopes. An evening meal is more enjoyable as one off but doing it most evenings I wouldn't find it relaxing. I wouldn't say finance isn't a factor. To be honest if I eat out a lot at home it makes me twitchy blowing my hard earned in such a frivolous way. But it's more of an overarching factor than an overriding one. None of this of course is a French or Austrian factor.

Moved to Austria wrote:
She then said to my wife - and if France is this expensive then it must cost a fortune to go skiing in Austria.
My wife put her straight!! Then asked her where her friends have been in Austria that was so expensive.
"Oh, they have never been!" was her reply!!
Need I say anymore!! Laughing Laughing

And I'm not sure I'd trust what she said. If this is her first trip then she may have misunderstood what her friends said... could have even been a bit of banter going on. Obviously given your handle you are very keen on Austria, so maybe you've got a slightly distorted view. I've skied short trips at Sonnenkopf, Stuben, Stubai, Wart and they've all been great. Of course, I've no idea if the food was expensive as we never ate out. But generally we ski in France for other reasons.
snow conditions
@Timberwolf, same as last time?? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The country I have observed most people having an opinion on without ACTUALLY visiting it (for skiing) is Bulgaria.
latest report
Having just had a weekend in the Czech Republic, nowhere near Prague I hasten to add, I think I might go for a weekend skiing there. I walked up a hill one day to a restaurant towards the top and had lunch. A bowl of decent soup with bread and a pint of beer cost the princely sum of of £1.80. I gather the Czech Republic is near Austria so prices must be very low in Austria as well.
latest report
I'm buckled in for the ride with this thread, It's going to run all winter!!

My two pence worth, Austria every time.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
The country I have observed most people having an opinion on without ACTUALLY visiting it (for skiing) is Bulgaria.

Full of prostitutes and creaky old lifts so I have heard wink Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
Layne wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Full of prostitutes and creaky old lifts so I have heard wink Toofy Grin Very Happy

You forgot the dodgy toilets.... and of course posting the link to that video.
snow report
Layne wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Put that in the brochure and they will head there in droves Toofy Grin
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
It would be daft to form an opinion of somewhere based upon no information, but personal experience is just one information source and arguably one of the least reliable. It’s OK for non-factual stuff (e.g. smelliness of the loos) but less good for more data driven info (e.g. the likelihood of getting decent snow cover / sunny days / runs over 2km in length / beers costing less than €2 etc.)

Is it fair to form opinions about skiing in Bulgaria without having visited? Yes, I would have thought so and it’s not really surprising that Bulgaria suffers from pre-conceived opinions more than other places. It does have a fair amount of, shall we say, baggage/drawbacks.
snow conditions
I know a guy with an apartment in Bulgaria. He is very open about the upsides and downsides. TBH I would happily go if I didn't have only two weeks a year and there were so many great places that I already know.
snow report
No mention of Scotland yet?
Easy, tigers wink
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/HTjoQSBlkkw

Although on average i'd say austrian skiing is cheaper than french
latest report
intermediate wrote:
No mention of Scotland yet?
Easy, tigers wink

I didn’t know they had skiing in Scotland. Do they really or are you just trolling?
snow report
Quote:

I didn’t know they had skiing in Scotland. Do they really or are you just trolling?

Hillend
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Moved to Austria, they sound like bores wherever they ski! Best left.
Have enjoyed many resorts in Austria, France, Switz'd, Italy and Germany but if I ever had the money to buy my own place it would be, without a doubt, in Austria. Just my choice. Just wish they made their beer as good as the Germans. (Can. Worms. Open!)
snow conditions
I'm not one to stereotype or quote old jokes but...
HEAVEN is where: The police are British; the chefs French; the mechanics German (same as Austrian); the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss.
HELL is where: The police are Austrian (same as German); the chefs British; the mechanics French; the lovers Swiss and it's all organised by the Italians!!

None meant.
ski holidays
Quote:

An evening meal is more enjoyable as one off but doing it most evenings I wouldn't find it relaxing. I wouldn't say finance isn't a factor. To be honest if I eat out a lot at home it makes me twitchy blowing my hard earned in such a frivolous way. But it's more of an overarching factor than an overriding one.

+1 Certainly not about France or Austria, or indeed skiing versus staying at home. I could afford to eat out a lot if I chose, but I don't choose. Often overpriced and not very good. I enjoy cooking and you can buy the ingredients for an excellent meal for the same price as a grotty one in a restaurant, or a greasy takeaway. I don't like hotels - would much prefer to cater for myself and have a beer from the fridge, or a top quality cup of tea, for a few pence. Whatever country I'm in. I am stunned at the amount of money some families spend on eating out or "sending out" for takeaways. If I can't be arsed to cook (like I couldn't tonight, after sweating buckets at a spinning class) I'll have a glass of wine, a pear and some cashew nuts. In France I would probably have a glass of wine, some top quality bread and cheese, and an apple.
ski holidays
Yup. I now live part of the year in Austria but still love skiing in France and other places. Found a lovely eatery high on the slopes of Val d'Isère a couple of years ago that did a drink, a big slice of quiche and free salad and sprinkles for €10 Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@pam w,
Quote:

I'll have a glass of wine, a pear and some cashew nuts. In France I would probably have a glass of wine, some top quality bread and cheese, and an apple.
Interesting that it will be different. I do like to eat local food when I'm travelling, but that can be done just as well when self-catering.

I do like having lunch in the mountains (will often skip the evening meal if the lunch has been a filling one) though will generally eat late so as to ski while the pistes are emptier. And, for something good, I don't mind paying for it. Italy produces consistently good lunches at a reasonable price, France does if you look for it (not interested in canteen food, but if you can find a decent plat du jour in a non-'self', it often won't be expensive) and Austria - fine, not too pricey, but it's frequently too heavy for my taste. I love skiing in all those countries.
snow report
@Hurtle,
Quote:

Austria - fine, not too pricey, but it's frequently too heavy for my taste.

A lunchtime germknodel certainly helps keeps the weight forward.
ski holidays
France is in a whole different league for skiing quality.

Austria is good for 80s cheese and dungeons.
latest report
Germknoedel vs Kaiserschmarr'n is the real issue to be honest. My daughter has two Bavarian workmates, and one Austrian, and they are all in the Kaiserschmarr'n camp, whereas we Brits are Germknoedel lovers. I reckon it's jam roly-poly that's caused that.
ski holidays
@honved, don't like either, tbh, too sweet. Actually I don't like most Italian puds either - apart from ice cream - because they're too sweet as well. Good French patisserie, on the other hand... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@honved, doesn't Kaiserschmarr'n roughly translate as King Bull***t or King Rubbish? I could survive a week in a snowhole with one Germknoedel. Does France have a contender, or is it 1-0 to Austria on the dense dumpling front?
ski holidays
@honved, Kaiserschmarrn every time. No contest. I think I've only ever finished one Germknödel and spent the rest of the afternoon feeling sick.
@Whitegold, still spouting crap I see.
snow report
@intermediate, schmarrn means mish mash, but in Bavarian also means rubbish or nonsense, eg, what this nonsense you are talking? : Ah geh, wos redst denn für an Schmarrn?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy