Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How scary is the highest Engelberg slope?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm probably going to have to go back myself.... might even meet up with a few snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied that run and it was quite bumpy, more so than it looks in the photo above but photos have a way of flattening moguls. It'd be OK for a good intermediate skier but a real pain for a boarder. As you near the top of the cable car, have a luck to the right, there's a trail over to some off-piste that has some serious exposure. There's no reason you should fall while traversing across but if you did, you wouldn't stop for a while.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And those rocks wouldn't be friendly. But it will lead you another way into the Gross Sulz which is a great route but can be dangerous. The better way is over the ice fall but there isn't enough snow to cover it. Also the crevasses are lacking snow. Needs a few more dumps to get like last year when I was there. In fact, in a lot of ways it was hard to recognise last years routes down. And I dare say it will be different in a few weeks hence..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good pic of the Steinberg RachelQ in your media zone. It shows the glacier is quite bare as you could see hardly any of that ice last mar...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, I wish I'd taken some pictures from the Rotair cable car looking down on the glacier. I've never been so close to a glacier before and saw one icy outcrop with a black hole, a seemingly bottomless pit. If there was a lot more snow covering it - you can see how incredibly dangerous it could be.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RachelQ,

That ice ridge that pretty well runs right across the glacier in your pic was almost entirely covered last march and I have a video of us sking down the steepest part with only the big hole crevasse showing. We also took all sorts of lines through it throughout the week. This year there were 3 ways down... stay high and traverse into the top of the Grusse Sulz, cross over the lip at its shallowest part or extreme right under the cliffs. After new snow the only option was the ice lip/wall which had people roping down their clients. It was very changable and when I go back there again I expect it to be different again. Quite a lesson in itself and why you go with some one who knows..!!

I might try and chop some pics from my video to illustrate a few things... You might not recognise it....!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magriggs, I have not so fond memories of this run, this was the first Black I ever attempted, myself and a mate thought that we would have a crack at it we both got down it the first time incident free. Ok, that was fun so we went back up and had another go. I fell on the first or second turn I was then unable to stop sliding down the piste I continued to tumble like a rag doll for about a 100M and finally came to rest having lost both skis and both poles and was very luckily unhurt. the conditions were very icy. I have since read about self arrest tecniques but luckily have not had the chance to practice. If the snow is good then go for it, if not think twice.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar.org.uk, what is it about t-bars that gets to so many folk Puzzled

I was brought up on them and think they're great: double your uplift capacity, nice and sociable, run in all weather ... you can even give your t-companion a wee cuddle if you feel like it wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, I find T bars difficult to use. I've been using them on and off (usually off) for over 20 years, and still can't pretend to like them. I find it difficult or impossible to ride them in such a way that one or both of my legs doesn't start aching, often becoming agonising before the end. I think I more or less cracked them the season before they disappeared from Sunshine, and I don't think that I've used one since.

I skied in Aspen with a group of Aussies, one of whom found the sole button almost impossible because she'd been brought up on T bars, so I guess it's what you're used to.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, what is it about t-bars that gets to so many folk Puzzled

They are fine until a snowboarder or a midget tries to ride up beside me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's another couple of that black. Early season so not really enough snow, but fun nonetheless:

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The classic glacier is in good nick and there are still stashes to be found. Still requires route finding as rocks and crevasses are showing so you need to ski in control... !!
Sounds obvious but you can't always see these things whilst skiing until you are right on them..!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy