Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many hours a day?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

So... third week skiing at La plagne.
Basic parallel turns on blues and reds.
Looking to improve my technique at a group lesson.

Options are:

2 hours (14:00-16:00)
3 hours (09:00-12:00)
Full 5 hours day (09:00-12:00, 14:00-16:00)

All for 6 days. What do you think is a better option?

I'm afraid full day is a bit too much and i will miss some fun time on the slopes plus there are 2 hours between the lessons and both start and end at plagne center so you're missing a bit of the fun eating uphill.

On the other side, I'm pretty much a beginner and some say it's good to have full day with an instructor at the beginning...

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-11-17 19:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 two hour private sessions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends who else you have to ski with outside lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:

My girlfriend... It's her second week and she wants a full day lesson
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 hours (09:00-12:00) is the best bet.

Part of the joy of skiing is freedom and adventure - you will have a fantastic time exploring the area alone after lunch with your GF and then you can share your stories together in the evening.

Perfect.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually teach from 9am to about 1pm, and think that’s about right for group lessons, unless you are on a technical camp when a full day gives lots of time and lots of options. Of your options I think the 9-12 is probably the best. The two hour session is too short, and the long lunch break in the middle of the all-day session is a PITA.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for 9-12
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
3 hrs a day. Long enough that you don't spend half the lessson getting back to base. Enough free time that you can consolidate what you've learnt.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've found the morning 3 hour lessons best. If you take a 2pm lesson you can be a bit knackered if you spent the morning skiing and in early season daylight is fading by the end of it and you have to wait until the next morning to practice some of the things you learn't.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Me, I'd go for three hours or a full day. Also, the mornings are the best time for lessons because they put you back on your game and you will then be skiing well for more of the day even if you don't do the afternoon lessons.

It's a matter of taste of course and better skiers than me have preferred more freedom although I will say that for me, at the same level of experience, I saw more of the mountain with my instructor because I could follow his sweet lines. Also there were other people at my level so I didn't feel like I was no good because I wasn't zipping down throwing 180s like everyone else seemed to be doing.

Plus, if you are with your girlfriend and either one of you is not hugely confident and/or you are at slightly different levels, the group will help avoid.... ummm.... difficulties and the instructor will be able to handle any loss of confidence and very subtly steer the group somewhere that everyone is still having fun. wink

If you both fall in love with skiing there will be many years for independent adventures Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sort26 wrote:
pam w wrote:

I'd persuade her otherwise. It's a holiday not a boot camp. Morning lessons and then hit the slopes together in the afternoon - cuddles on the lifts, laugh, tricks and slips on the piste. Vin chaud and hot chocolate if the weather is pants.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd avoid full day too, I think that it would take away the feeling of being on holiday and the enjoyment of pootling around at your own pace. However I'm generally the type of person that doesn't want to commit to that sort of thing and would far rather find my way around the mountain myself, I'm not the best yardstick of the 'sensible' option though. In fact, other than an initial 45 minute introduction into skiing, I didn't have lessons until my 6th week of skiing (on the EoSB)

Edit: BTW, I'd take the 3 hour option and advise your other half to do the same. 2 hours is a bit short but 5 hours of instruction will probably be fairly knackering. Do 3 hours, then try to work on what the instructor has said during the rest of the day, with a few relaxed stops too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sort26 wrote:
pam w wrote:

If it's just you and your girlfriend and she is in lessons all day then (without wishing to contradict any of the advice above) a key question is how willing / keen are you to potentially ski alone in the afternoons? I've certainly been on group lessons where there were people in the group who had just booked lessons to have people to ski with. You mentioned not being able to eat uphill if you book the full day - but if your girlfriend is on all day lessons would you not be meeting up for lunch where she is anyway?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’d generally agree with the 3 hour option, assuming you are either happy on your own or have someone to ski with when not in lessons. If in a group, you might meet someone to ski with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tubaski wrote:
Sort26 wrote:
pam w wrote:

If it's just you and your girlfriend and she is in lessons all day then (without wishing to contradict any of the advice above) a key question is how willing / keen are you to potentially ski alone in the afternoons? I've certainly been on group lessons where there were people in the group who had just booked lessons to have people to ski with. You mentioned not being able to eat uphill if you book the full day - but if your girlfriend is on all day lessons would you not be meeting up for lunch where she is anyway?

Skiing alone is not a problem. The full day my GF wanted to take is a bit problematic since the lessons start and end at plagne center meaning we won't have enough time to explore the mountain. I'll try to persuade her to take the 3 hours same as me. This way we'll have a nice combination of training and feeedom together!

Thank you all your opinions, they were valuables!
snow conditions
I'd go for the 3 hours of lessons as well. It's good to have your lessons in the morning when you're at your best (can be debatable) and you can then practice a bit or explore by yourself or with others in the afternoon.

If your girlfriend wants to do the all day lessons then that's fine. You get two hours for lunch and a bit of skiing together and she can always skip an afternoon or two of lessons if want to do some some sightseeing or something similar.
ski holidays
@olderscot, true true
Personally I would be worried about her getting better than me with all those extra lessons Shocked

I should probably add that my experience was with an english ski school catering for leisure skiers and not the ESF which seems more serious and sporty. I think that might be more of a boot camp type thing than I had.
snow report
Dmitri wrote:
Personally I would be worried about her getting better than me with all those extra lessons Shocked

I think that ship has sailed NehNeh
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, beat me to it Toofy Grin
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Dmitri wrote:

I think that ship has sailed NehNeh

Laughing

Fair comment, could be just my problem wink
ski holidays
Private lesson every time
snow conditions
I'd go with what most have said: the three hour option, and try to convince you GF to do the same so you can ski together in the afternoon. Even as a Frenchman, a two hour break for lunch is really too long, and as you say will take away the possibility of exploring the domain a bit more. Depending on group size, lessons can also be quite hard work, so full-day lessons for the whole week seems a bit much.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy