Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney British Instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know any British instructors out in Gressoney? My wife is looking for some afternoon lessons, private or group, week of 16-23rd Dec. She's only done one week on skis before, 8 years ago.

Staying in La Trinité. Has to be afternoons for childcare reasons.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Ski 2 in Champoluc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I had seen them but the problem will be that she won't be able to ski over to Champoluc. I'll ask them whether they are willing to come to Gressoney, but they might not be keen for a 1 hour private lesson.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do they have to be British? There's Italian ski schools there
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never used an Italian instructor, but my experience in France has been that British instructors are far superior at teaching adult beginners in English. The French instructors have normally been skiing since they were old enough to walk, and have mostly forgotten what it is like to be a beginner. They often also lack subtlety of expression, which can impair communication. The worst instructor I've ever had was a French olympic bronze medallist. He was very good at demonstrating his skills, but terrible at teaching them to others. By contrast, the best lessons I've ever had were from Greg at Ski Marmalade, who grew up in Chester.

Now to be sure there will be exceptions in both directions, and we will book with the local school if necessary, but I was fishing for recommendations from the SH community.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe try getting a younger instructor. They spend the first few years of maestri training on the nursery slope teaching beginners so you might find it's fresher to them
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or if it's just a few beginner lessons why doesn't she get them on a dry slope/snow dome? If nothing else at least one lesson will get her used to wearing ski boots, carrying skis, basic snow plough, straight running, position etc
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moseyp wrote:
Or if it's just a few beginner lessons why doesn't she get them on a dry slope/snow dome? If nothing else at least one lesson will get her used to wearing ski boots, carrying skis, basic snow plough, straight running, position etc

She's done a whole week before in Tignes, but it was 8 years ago. I've suggested the snow-dome to her but we don't live very close to one and haven't really got time before the trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tccambs, I had a private lesson with the ski school in gressony the Italian instructor I had spoke very good English and was very good instructor. I will try and work out her name later.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
@tccambs, I had a private lesson with the ski school in gressony the Italian instructor I had spoke very good English and was very good instructor. I will try and work out her name later.

That would be great! As I say, I was only asking for British as I think it's a more reliable bet, but Italian instructors known to be good are also very welcome. Being female is also a positive! (not that I'd be too concerned about my wife spending time with an attractive Italian Skullie )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No idea about Gressonney but the Champoluc school are increasingly anglophonecentric.

Ski2 are only allowed to teach their own package clients.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 11-11-17 14:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry not to have something more helpful but I found the Ski School in Gressoney to be rather disorganised and unreliable.
I could recommend a good source for High Mountain Guides though: what could possibly go wrong Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@admin, what? italians? Disorganised and unreliable? Surely not!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the advice. To my amazement (because she's only really coming skiing to stop me pestering her), she has booked a day off work and arranged to go to MK snozone for their one-day 'plough-to-parallel' course. We still intend to arrange a couple of private 'top-up' lessons in resort, but hopefully the course will be sufficient to allow her to ski over to Champoluc where there is more choice.

@NickyJ, we'd still be grateful for a named recommendation if you can recall it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I Went in there website hoping they put names / profiles up as I would know it when I see it and my memory has failed me but they don’t. I have sent message to a friend who used the same instructor, (and several times over multiple seasons) I am waiting for her response.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy