Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

en route hotel st anton

Poster: A snowHead
looking for some help with regards to en route stopovers for our st anton trip in feb. we are flying to zurich and driving to st anton on a saturday however we are on a sunday-sunday holiday so cant access accomodation until sunday. we land around 4pm so plenty of time to drive close to st anton. we are used to skiing in france and stopping at an Ibis or similar but there arent any budget type hotels that I can find, dont want to be paying £200 for a night in a proper hotel (2 adults and 2 kids). any help appreciated.thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is an Ibis in Bregenz. Could be an option?

Might however be worth checking Langen, Wald, or Dalaas; all of which are closer to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What time of the year?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tip.

Stay in Zurich the night.

Dont Drive..Cars are not need in St Anton

Take the Train its direct & cheap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tip (what an irritating way that is to start a post).

Don't stay overnight in Zurich.

You'll miss a day's skiing.

Get as close as you can to St Anton (but far enough so as not to be too pricey).

Somewhere like Feldkirch should have plenty of well priced accommodation and is an hours drive from St Anton.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno, night in hotel in Zurich, kitted up ready for the train that leaves about 6:30. Arrive St Anton at 9am, leave bags in a locker at the station/at your accom (location dependant) and on the lifts by 10am easily.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sitter, with two kids. Though I agree that I'd have thought the train is certainly a lot cheaper than hiring a car for a week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guess it depends on the ages of the kids. Train is way cheaper than a car, especially with cheaper Sparscheine tickets (although they restrict you to a certain train).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd probably also start looking at Feldkirch, as it's got a reasonable number of hotels, and is far enough away from St Anton that there should be reasonable availability.

If you use a car, then a decent idea would be stop off on the Sunday and ski at Sonnenkopf, as it's about 20 mins closer than St Anton

Or, if you do decide to take the train, St Anton station has a decent number of lockers in which to store your bags, though I think they are coin-operated only
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for replies. staying in zurich doesnt make sense as by the time we get to st anton and get hire skis sorted etc then we miss loads of skiing. as we land at 4pm there is plenty of time to get as close to st anton as possible. I looked at the trains and it was silly money for 4 people and much cheaper to hire a car. am I missing something...where so i get the cheap fares ? we are staying in Schnann and are self catering so need to think about how we will get to food - without a car it might be challenging and if train doesnt save much then its not worth it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
€373 return for 4 people using www.trainline.eu. hire car is £300. why would I go on the train ?!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@backhojo, when you add in the petrol I reckon it’ll be cheaper by train, but given you are staying at Schann then the convinience of having a car makes a lot of sense. There is a bus between Schann and St Anton, but you’ll have a lot more flexibility with your own car.

[just seen your maths, car makes lots of sense]

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 4-11-17 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What date are you travelling? I put in a random Saturday in Feb and came up with a Sparscheine from ZRH-Anton for one adult at €19 using the Oebb app.

Having said that, if you are self catering in Schnann, then I can see the appeal of a car, if only to pop to MPreis or similar for supplies as it would probably be easier than using the free ski busses and walking from Spar. Alternative would be to get a taxi for a one off first shop, then stock up with little bits from the supermarkets in St Anton on the way back from skiing. No point in driving to/from the slopes every day as there is a good network of free ski busses, and you have to pay to park in St Anton.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
backhojo wrote:
€373 return for 4 people using www.trainline.eu. hire car is £300. why would I go on the train ?!

Don't use the Trainline! Book via the train companies direct, either OeBB or SBB. Booked 3 adults return for a trip in January not too long back, came to less than a third of your car hire cost.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nasserein car park is €7 a day. So not a huge price to pay to have your own car to take the four of you plus kit back and forth.
ski holidays
have a search around Sonnenkopf perhaps??
snow report
3rd -11th feb. fly out 3rd leave late on 11th.
latest report
crikey - just looked on OeBB and its €38 one way for all 4 of us ! the trainline are having a laugh !. problem is the times coming back are not great. either arrive at 17.42 or 19.42 for a 21.00 flight. 19.42 might be cutting it fine, depending on how long it takes to get from train to check in plus is leaves no margin for error if train is late or there is a problem with the connection at zurich HB. 17.42 is very early and will eat into our last day ski time. food for thought though.
snow report
If I were travelling alone based in previous experience I wouldn't have any concerns about arriving 1hr 20 mins in advance at ZRH. It is Switzerland remember - everything works and ZRH must be one of the world's most efficient big airports and the train station is directly under the terminal. For UK airports I allow a lot longer. I imagine it might not be the same relaxing experience though with kids and an anxious wife in tow? (if she is likely to be concerned about the timings)
ski holidays
Try Landeck. Many time I've stayed there for a night prior going to Ischgl.
snow report
@Corky, that’s the wrong direction if you are coming from Zurich.
snow report
@backhojo, TIP - train from CH-land not a car every time. Stay over in Dornbirn at Harrys (100m from station) and early train to St Anton, gear in lockers at station. Don't stay at Zurich - out of CH-land asap, expensive and too far for a proper early early lift start to Arlberg. Book trains via OEBB web portal. Some great food in Dornbirn too, lovely town. Don't hire a car you don't need it. Or even better book flights via MUC and train/ car from there if you are concerned about cost.

Just re-read your post. if you are staying in Schnann you will maybe need a car to get back and forth to Mpreis supermarket i'd say for fresh stuff, or use buses? Have you thought about where you are going to leave your car during the day, parking in St Anton is expensive if you don't know where to park? I'd not be doing that, I know the places to park but it can be a bun-fight if you are arriving 08.45 onwards. personally I'd not want to be on a bus every day from Schnann, a bit far out to get early lifts (and ski school?), unless you will be leaving super early every day 8am bus etc......thats why its cheap in the outlying villages.... not as convenient. We stay in St Jakob and Pettneu sometimes, both great, but Schnann is a bit further out (and feels it i'd say). Cycle through it loads in summer, lovely place but i'd not choose to stay there in winter unless i had a car and was happy to pay for parking every day.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 5-11-17 13:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Train is cheaper.

Car gives you more flexibility as you are not stuck to train timetables then bus timetables when you going back and forth between St Anton and Schann or if you want to drive over to Lech/Zurs.

So I suppose the car/train question depends how much you are willing to pay for convinience and flexibility. You don’t need it and if it was just me I would probably use the train, but with four of you that convinience and flexibility could be worth paying for.
latest report
@backhojo, ....or book a 10€ taxi every morning for say 08.30. Taxi Zangerl are based in Schnann and would do you a good deal i'd say. Free bus back at night, not as time critical. In which case travel as I said above, train and break your journey in Dornbirn. You don't need or want a car imo, too much hassle.
snow report
@backhojo, supermarkets will do you a bulk shop delivery if you organise in advance.
snow report
Where you staying in Schnann?
We were there last year and it was fine.
Justin the process of booking walterschmeide or something just now. 10 -17 Feb were going

Fasching Sad Sad
ski holidays
thanks for all the tips guys...really useful. we skied st anton some years ago and it was with a main tour operator and we were based centrally. it was before we had kids and the accom / food was rubbish but the skiing good ! when we booked in Schnann we initially intended to drive from the UK as we often do this to the three valleys or similar, however its just that bit longer a journey to st anton and the timings were not great in that we would be knackered after the long journey. found 4 flights to zurich with BA for £400 which i think is pretty good.
have solved the overnight accom problem....the appartment we are staying on have offered us the saturday night for £100. i asked if they knew any local hotels and they offered us the extra night ! .we assumed it woudl be occupied as we arrive sunday but they were happy to let us arrive early and pay for the extra night.
plenty of time to work out the hire car/train / taxi situation

a couple of you have mentioned MPreis....is that the place to go for food ? is it more like tesco or your local spar shop ? we are used to the limited choice in a mountain supermarkets in france ,such as sherpa , which can be challenging.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 5-11-17 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@backhojo, it’s a regional (Tirolean) supermarket chain. There’s one on the outskirts of St Anton. Mpreis is nicer than the main supermarkets in Austria (Billa and Spar) and that one is relatively large.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hd, i am the anxious one , not her 😀
latest report
@Markymark29, on st anton website it says schlosskopf is free parking with a ski pass but not sure if that means day pass only. ie not with a weekly pass. do you know ? would a car be useful if we want to ski in the outer reaches of the area such as oberlech, zug and warth. i know they are lift linked but its hell of a journey there and back via left. if the car is up there then we dont have to worry about getting the lifts back...or is the drive just way too far ?
snow conditions
@TheGeneralist, we are staying here www.schmiedshof.at
ski holidays
Zurs is about 20 mins, Lech 30 mins drive. There is a big free car park at Zurs. Driving to Warth is not really a goer.

They are lift linked but depending on how confident a skier you are it might be a bit of a stretch. There are also coaches though they can be a bunfight at the end of the day.

Driving over there is not a reason to hire a car but is an advantage if you have one.
latest report
@backhojo, You ski to all of the places mentioned in my experience, unless you want to spend all day in Zurs, in which case get the post bus for 8€ pp. Large free carpark in Zurs as @nozawaonsen, says but seriously you don't need to drive. We used to now just ski over.
ski holidays
Quote:

schlosskopf is free parking with a ski pass

@backhojo, No idea sorry, I doubt it.....
ski holidays
im guessing the flexenbahn makes the difference now. is it possible to ski from zurs to lech ? piste map is a bit vague and looks like unpisted runs only ? kids are 14 and 11 and very good skiers (ESF competition and ESF Gold level) so pretty much can ski anythin except very steep off piste. we are about the same but a bit slower ! so skiing all day on long excursion is fine. i guess i was thinking that if you want to fully explore lech and zurs and maybe warht then using a car or a bus gives an advantage that you dont have to ski back to st anton thus allowing more time to explore lech and zurs.
latest report
@Markymark29, http://www.skiarlberg.at/en/regions/ski-area/lech-oberlech-zuers/service/parking
latest report
@Markymark29, schnann appears to be 12-15 mins on the bus to st anton. should not be too crowded in the mornings as we will be getting on near its starting point. no ski school to get to and not fussed about getting early lifts !
snow report
@backhojo, The link from Zurs to lech is as you say an itinerary route, well within the ability of your team i'd say.
snow conditions
Catch a train from Zurich to Landeck, I know its east of StAnton but there is plenty of reasonably priced accommodation there, then come back on Sunday.
snow report
My daughter and I went from Zurich to St Anton in April - and the train was cheap, luxurious (we went business class and it wasn't that much more), beautiful (sun-rise over the lake as we left Zurich, amazing scenery) and an experience. We booked directly on the Austrian train website - the same journey elsewhere was two or three times the price. I wouldn't stay in Zurich (we did - at the Mercure, and it was a rip off. The taxi in Zurich was a total rip off. Dinner at the restaurant at the Mercure was complete robbery). We stayed at the Post-Hotel in Pfunds and it was excellent; great location and excellent food.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy