Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hire again or buy secondhand skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I was just pricing up our equipment hire for next Easter’s trip. I know nothing about skis and havent owned a pair for about 15 years. I tend to choose the top option when hiring just because I’m a fairly good skier and I think that’s how it works - however I could be very wrong!

So as the hire price is nearly £100 for a week, I’m wondering about picking up a second hand pair somewhere (eBay?) and using them for a few years. Does this sound like a good plan?

If buying is worth a look, what should I be looking for? Any features I should know about? I always relied on coaches or fellow ski centre staff to tell me what to buy back in my regular skiing days. And is eBay the best bet or is there other better places to buy skis?

Thank you!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't bother - It'll cost you £70ish on the plane, plus servicing. Hire and you get good, usually pretty new skis (if you choose the top option). And you can decide what style you want with the option to change midweek if the conditions change.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WOW, ski carriage is £70??!! We drive these days so that wouldn’t be a problem.

That’s good to know that hiring has been the best option so far. I’m not overly worried about them being brand new. I just want a fairly good pair for my ability. And i used to do my own edges and waxing. What else do they do in a service?

Thank you!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
After years of renting I bought 2 pairs, one 81mm underfoot for more pistey days, the other 108mm for fresh snow days. Total capital investment (both second hand) around £300. I've had about 6 weeks on them so far and have paid around £50 in servicing (I've been lucky enough to also get a couple of free edge /waxes from our usual hire shop who still get plenty of business through us). So £350/6 = £60 per week in round numbers.

@martinm, makes a good point. Mine live in the cellar in Chatel so no transport cost.

The other benefit of hire from a good shop is you can choose what is ideal for the conditions and swap when it changes (or you fancy something different).

50/50 I'd say.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@breeze11, £70 for EasyJet to Geneva, other airlines will vary. E.G Swiss pretty much include it in the price of the normal ticket (not the economy one).

If you're a piste skier that doesn't have a preference for what ski you're on then hiring isn't that different to owning your own pair. It's only because I wanted a specific type of ski that I bought my own.

If you're buying your own then you need to consider the type of ski that you're used to and the type of skiing that you do. If you're generally on piste then there's no point having anything wide. If you look to do a bit of off-piste as well then something a bit wider could be beneficial.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not really worth buying if you only go once a year IMO.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've thought about it, a lot, but it's the transport cost (and inconvenience) that have kept me with hire. however there is a tipping point at which buying makes more financial sense. If you get around 25-30 days on the snow per year, I suspect buying is a better deal. I do have my own boots, more for fit comfort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm wrote:
I wouldn't bother - It'll cost you £70ish on the plane, plus servicing. Hire and you get good, usually pretty new skis (if you choose the top option). And you can decide what style you want with the option to change midweek if the conditions change.

The top option is usually about £150 for a week hire
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buying makes more sense when you want a top end ski as cost of carriage doesn't change according to ski quality but cost of hire does
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought a pair of all mountain Ski's for £200. I've had mixed results when hiring skis and I always go for one of the more expensive options. In my opinion, it's been worth it. I've had them a couple of years and I'll get at least one more year out of them (I go a week a year). Just avoiding a busy shop first thing in the morning on the first day makes it worth it, for me at least!
Plus, if you're having a crap day, you can't blame the equipment.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you’re driving and can do your own servicing, surely it makes sense to have your own skis? Even when flying it works out ok if you can start to double up the pairs in the bag.

Keep an eye on the buy and sell section, or sometimes you can get a bargain new pair this time of year if they’re left over from last season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've bought as we do a lot of day skiing in Scotland - we're not too far from Glenshee - and queuing for hire each day takes far too long. Makes a lot of sense for that kind of skiing.
However, going abroad for a week's skiiing we just hire. Easier and cheaper than risking our own skis in the hold of Budgets-R-us airlines...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@MSG101, if you package them even halfway decently then budget airline handlers will have to be going some to damage them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some other threads may be of interest:

www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133413&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82608&highlight=

In terms of where to buy cheap skis here are a few options

Charity shops: the skis for sale in charity shops tend to be very old, hardly used, kids skis. A bargain if you are a kid, or want a short pair of skis which will be lighter to carry up a hill and can turn shorter circumferences.

Second hand ski sales in shopping malls in France and Europe: I saw several second hand ski sales in France in shopping malls. I do not know if these were bring and buy sales, or someone offloading last years hire kit. I did not buy any there.

Ebay: difficult to get a good look at the skis online, and you generally will find the skis are for collection only so you have to live near people who sell skis on ebay (unusually that tends not to be Scotland except perhaps in large cities)

If you are going to get a pair of skis fitted to your boots, with specific bindings tailored to your boots, it is probably best to get a new pair.

Cheap places to get new skis are generally places abroad, like Italy, Andorra, Bulgaria etc. Ski resorts might be more expensive, ski and snow expos could be a good place as are fridge demo nights like the ones Snowheads runs. It is a good idea to be able to try out the skis before you buy, particularly if you intend to make a large investment for a long time. Otherwise you will rely very heavily on sales advice, which tends to focus very much on what they sell rather than what is available in the market place. In other words they are tied agents rather than independent ski advisors.

If you generally drive to resorts, best to buy, and buy new. It will make financial sense, and it will also suit your skiing style better.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
breeze11 wrote:
Hello, I was just pricing up our equipment hire for next Easter’s trip. I know nothing about skis and havent owned a pair for about 15 years. I tend to choose the top option when hiring just because I’m a fairly good skier and I think that’s how it works - however I could be very wrong!

So as the hire price is nearly £100 for a week, I’m wondering about picking up a second hand pair somewhere (eBay?) and using them for a few years. Does this sound like a good plan?

If buying is worth a look, what should I be looking for? Any features I should know about? I always relied on coaches or fellow ski centre staff to tell me what to buy back in my regular skiing days. And is eBay the best bet or is there other better places to buy skis?

Thank you!

It sounds like you are a once a year skier? If so, then it almost certainly doesn't make sense to buy.

If you do buy then buying second hand is fraught with difficulty. Especially if you don't know quite specifically what you want or what is the right price.

Personally I wouldn't buy ex-hire ski's. But ensuring what you are buying isn't ex-hire isn't always easy.

There is a lot of old ski's about that really weren't that great in the first place and/or have been superceded by modern ski design. Try to google and see if you can find old reviews. Ageing the ski and finding it's attributes are very important.

Good photo's are a must. Specifically anything that shows the bases, edges and bindings. The topsheets don't really matter but can give some conditions of the origins, age and condition.

If it's an old ski, even if lightly used, the bindings might be iffy, need a look.

Some people have unrealistic expectations of the value of their stuff.

Your best hope is to find something reasonably local (so don't pay postage which can be expensive, that somebody has researched well and set up, maintained well but have ended up not using them as much as they expected.

Ebay is obviously the main market - but preloved, gumtree, snowheads offer some opportunities too.

Don't forgot maintenance costs, transportation (do you have roofbars/roobox) and storage.
ski holidays
I've bought 2nd hand (private not ex hire)with no problems, had a good few trips and saved on hiring. We've always flown with lufthansa and had free carriage though. I also like the familiar feel rather than having to 'adjust' as I also use them at Chill Factore as my trip gets nearer. Just got some more near new ones so my k2 impacts, all mountain rocker 174's are going cheap!
snow report
If there were any bring and buy sales of second hand skis at car parks on the way to ski resorts, or at ski resorts, then this would be an ideal place to buy second hand skis. Somewhere in Scotland, on the way to a ski resort. Bring and buy sales for an hour or so prior to ski lifts opening.
snow report
If you do decide to buy secondhand, check the age and condition of the bindings as well as the skis. Old bindings may no longer be covered by the manufacturer's indemnity, which means a ski shop tech could refuse to touch them unless you sign a waiver. Although if the bindings are that aged, the spring or something else may fall apart and lead to a nasty injury so I'd suggest you steer well clear of them.

As you're going at Easter, you could think about buying new skis as it's likely that places like Snow & Rock may start their end of season ski sale before you go. They have a handful still on sale from last season:

https://www.snowandrock.com/c/sale/equipment/skis.html#?q=&size=&page=0&sort=bestselling&filter=
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy