Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nat West reneges on senior’s insurance deal

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve always bragged about how Nat West gives me a great freebie. They talked me into taking out an account with them that offered Free World Wide Travel Insurance with no age limit. They also give you some other nonsense such as airport lounges etc.

I took this out a few years ago and I was assured … because I checked that it would not matter how old I became they were still going to give World Wide Travel insurance that would include skiing, even off piste skiing as long as it was with a qualified instructor or guide.

They would even insure me for driving or riding on snow mobiles.

I did question them because it seemed to be too good to be true, and I knew that as one gets older you suddenly find there are not cheap deals on ski insurance for the balding and toothless among us.

Well I just found out today that they have changed the rules ….
Once I hit 70 it all changes.

If anyone covered by the policy is aged 70 or over, there’s a £75 annual premium per person insured aged 70 or over. If you have an existing medical condition, you may have to pay an additional premium or accept that your cover may exclude certain conditions.

I do feel mightily miffed as I’ve been forking out on their expensive travel insurance under the misguided illusion they were going to look after me in my dotage. I’m not 70 yet but it won’t be long.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annoying! I know my Dad will loose there travel insurance they get with there account due to similar issues.

Is anybody aware of any accounts which offer a higher age?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Appreciate it's a bit of an off pisser but sounds like that someone's just clocked that payouts on over 70s are likely to be more frequent and costly. Seems daft that they were making the promise before but retail bank sales staff have never been the most moral of citizens.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn, My bank's travel insurance binned me too - did so at 65 IIRC. Saga is fine - unless you want off-piste without a guide - in which case look at BMC.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or have Saga and then join the UK branch of the AAC which will cover you for off piste rescue and all sorts of associated winter sports for under £50.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I never used my banks premium account offers, as the insurance didn't offer the level of cover I needed.

I just renewed my World Wide with USA/Canada with Ski Club GB. According to the Policy Schedule it covers up to 75. Wording "Is aged 75 years or under". I've got a good few years before I'm 75 though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

My bank's travel insurance binned me too - did so at 65 IIRC. Saga is fine - unless you want off-piste without a guide - in which case look at BMC

I think the BMC only insures up to 70. Since I get to that milestone soon I will have to check. My climbing friends are all hitting 70 soon so I will have to see what they do.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PowderAdict wrote:
I never used my banks premium account offers, as the insurance didn't offer the level of cover I needed.

I just renewed my World Wide with USA/Canada with Ski Club GB. According to the Policy Schedule it covers up to 75. Wording "Is aged 75 years or under". I've got a good few years before I'm 75 though Very Happy
I am 70 and the insurer I have used in the past was Atlas and for 25 days in the USA it was about 300

Just plowed my way through umpteen screens to get a quote from Ski Club GB 647 for their basic cover. Did not bother checking the small print to make sure they would cover me flying from Antigua and returning to Antigua. [ I live on a yacht ]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Citibank's runs up to age 80 and has no unreasonable snow restrictions. You need one of their fancier accounts then it's free.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got the same letter from the bank, a bit annoying - I'm not nearing 70 quite yet but have been a bit peeved with the diminishing benefits & increasing costs of the bank account. Feels like I'm paying over the odds for breakdown cover & travel insurance. (Didn't realise there's an airport lounge involved - may check it out)

I'm considering changing current account from natwest to nationwide - the flexplus account insurances match or better the natwest, age to 74 and it's cheaper.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banks: all the attributes of a dog. Except loyalty!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really thought that I would be long dead before I would find this thread interesting and informative . . . someone, please shoot me . . .

. . . or preferably fall to my last slumber in the warm embrace of the last night of a epic 'bash' . . . perhaps a snow bunny or three might . . . na' that's nae gonna happen, but we can all mucky dream Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
Or have Saga and then join the UK branch of the AAC which will cover you for off piste rescue and all sorts of associated winter sports for under £50.

When you say “have Saga”. What specifically do you mean?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It hasn't affected me yet, by my GF's father is now 70. Try renting a car!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My parents have insurance through Coop bank, they were over 70 when they came to France with us, and used the travel insurance to sort out my Dad's lost/stolen wallet.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, I meant just continue with your usual Saga insurance for general purposes and the alpine club free insurance will take care of rescue situations.
snow conditions
Ski Club of Great Britain Insurance covers off piste without a guide and over 70s etc. has to really given the core membership age!
snow conditions
I use Nationwide for basic cover which I think goes up to 75. I top up with Austrian Alpine Club for off-piste cover.
latest report
@DrLawn, On the other hand, many resorts offer reduced lift passes if you are over 70 (or 65 in some places) wink
ski holidays
The trouble is, when you are with a bank .... you are pretty embroiled with them,
Its not that easy changing banks , although they seem to give the impression its so easy to switch, many of the services are deeply embedded.

Such as mortgages etc.
Its odd that how as you get older your priorities change quite a bit ... to pensions and insurance.

Yes its great that a few resorts offer a little discount for oldies, some even offer free lift passes to the very seniors.
Thinking of visiting Madonna di Campiglio, I believe they offer a discounted senior pass but I haven't found the details yet.

I dare not go on the comparison sites to look for ski insurance as they just seem to want to suck all me details from me.
Anyway I've got a couple more years ... I may have a completely different set of priorities by then.
snow report
I'm a very happy nationwide customer and reckon I get very good value out of the bundled insurance with their current account. If anyone is thinking of switching and would like a bonus they offer a £200 refer-a-friend scheme, and we're all friends on here right?:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab

Drop me a PM if you'd like me to refer you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy