Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor Courses Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm planning to spend the ski season in Canada (lucky me!) and am looking at various courses. I'm looking to do a ski instructor course. I don't have any real ambition to work as a ski instructor but it seems a good way to improve my skiing and have people to ski with.

There are a few different companies offering these courses; I've been looking at Non-stop Ski (offers courses in Banff, Fernie and Red Mountain), Alltracks Academy and Yes Improvement (both Whistler). I'm currently thinking that Whistler might be the best option; it's a little bit more expensive but staying in a bigger resort would probably be best if saying there for several weeks. Does anyone have any experience of these companies or the different resorts?

Thanks for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dangermouse79, Been to all of the resorts, but no idea of the different companies. How long is several weeks and when ? Its a good way to spend the season over there and get to know some interesting places.

I can see why you think Whistler.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Won't go wrong with NonStop
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you don't want to teach I wouldn't bother with an instructor course. You want to spend your time riding, not learning how to teach and pass the exam.

If your goal is improving your skiing you could do a lot worse than a season in whistler and picking up an unlimited lesson pass (approx. £1200). You can easily ski a whole season at whistler and not get bored, there is a huge amount of terrain.

Those companies are all pretty popular, and offer a lot of convenience. However, the costs tend to be considerably more expensive than putting it together yourself - which is not particularly difficult.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mrs t_m started her instructor career with Non-stop, she now teaches in Wengen every winter. Non-stop are very good. However I'd echo the comment above about instructor training not really being cost-effective unless you actually want to teach. I think Non-stop do 4 week improver courses that will give you much better value. Instructor courses include a lot of emphasis on things like teaching beginners and guest services, which probably won’t interest you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a very big difference between spending a season freeskiing and spending a season having high quality instruction.

Most of the seasonal workers I see during the winter get fitter each season not better.

A compromise could be an intensive period of instruction at the start of the season followed by an all day lesson once per week thereafter.

That's the format I experienced doing a season teaching at Keystone, Colorado.

I was given a clear direction of progression, had the opportunity to consoldiate the learning each week, and then move forwards with the next lesson.

I saw a huge improvement that winter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MiniJake did the ski 7 week course 1&2 with Yes Whistler and they were very good. She is now in her 5th season over there working for WB now a supervisor - so she did want to be an instructor.

As other comments if you don't want to be an instructor Yes do improvement courses too, or if you have words with them you can do the course and not the exams. Super people to talk to and have been doing it for years.

Not sure how old you are but if you are under 30 you can try for a IEC visa - it is a lottery to see if you get one as more than double the visa quota apply. But then you can work over there. Hence the Intern to CSAI 1&2 route is open. You start doing a level 1 course as soon as the mountain opens 3weeks and you pass L1. You are then guaranteed a job in ski school and ski the rest of the season with regular teaching, taking the L2 exam at the end of the season. Work and Play but it does depend on forward planning and getting that visa. They still have vacancies for instructors this year as the Ausies Visas have been tightened up.

Get it done if you have the time and money
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the comments guys. One of my main objectives is to improve my skiing which is why I was looking at a course -to have some training and structure. All of these companies offer courses where you do just the level 1 exams then then rest of the course is focussed on personal skiing improvement and that's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

I'm not planning on working while I'm out there; I can earn more quickly in the UK and I'm taking a sabbatical from work.

I like the sound of the unlimited lesson pass -will look into that.

But realistically, a course gives me a good way to get things sorted out quickly and easily (I'm going to be working abroad until Christmas and won't be able to devote a lot of time to planning this).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why don't you join some off piste courses, and try masters racing with a club? That's what I'd do if I was in your positi N
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
But even just doing the level 1 will require focusing on things that don't improve your own skiing. If your certain you don't want to teach and your goal is to improve your own skiing it doesn't seem like an efficient use of time or money to do an instructors course. Especially when there are courses 100% focused on personal skiing improvement.

The 11 week course at whistler is £7100 (non catered and sharing a room with 3 others) + flights and insurance. If you organise it yourself you only need to book accomodation, flights, lift pass, and lesson pass now which could easily be done in the space of 1 hour. Cost would be:
Accommodation - £3402 (private room)
Lift pass - £686
Season lesson pass £1200.
Total = £5300.
Fairly decent saving of nearly £2k.

Interior resorts would be cheaper, but not sure if any offer the season lesson option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also if you're thinking of doing the season pass/lesson pass option note that Whistler Blackcomb are only selling season passes up until 19th November this year (new Vail rules), so you better look into it soon before it's no longer possible to buy a season pass.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agree with moseyp
“Why don't you join some off piste courses, and try masters racing with a club? That's what I'd do if I was in your positi N”
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi I did the Alltracks course a few years ago very good, combined instructor ofpiste 11 weeks first 4 weeks focuses on my technique am ofpiste pm ,the 5 week focuses on exam then six weeks skiing as hard as the group can plus cat trip and a avy training .all good fun
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dangermouse79, The Yes course did "give" you a season pass. Have to check if that is still the case though as Vail have made some crazy changes to the pass situation. As mentioned above only on sale until Nov 19.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boarder2020, how did you come to the cost of £3402 for a private room? Where are you looking? Cheers
snow report
The epic pass was actually cheaper than the wb pass this year (not sure if that has changed with early bird deals ending). You do get a few wb specific benefits with the wb pass so may be better value for money if your going to be in whistler for the season. Getting as early as possible always gets the best deal.

That price is with a company called rideonwhistler. Private room in a shared house beg Jan to end march (was trying to compare with the course dates and costs). Have friends that used them so know they are fine.
ski holidays
Also, just to emphasise how much cheaper the interior is, the same 3 months in golden are costing me £1070 - although that's a shared room so not completely comparable.

Obviously golden and whistler are completely different so it depends what type of experience you want. It may be worth paying the extra.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy