Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phantom from DPS - the end of ski wax...

Poster: A snowHead
Sounds promising...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dpsskis/phantom-permanent-base-glide-treatment-for-skis-an?ref=340306&token=5e40cea0

http://blistergearreview.com/featured/dps-phantom-and-the-end-of-ski-wax
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm be very interested in a double blind is it BS test. Some of the Whitedot demo fleet got treated with something pupporting to be similar called Juice. I don't think they ever got to evaluate properly because post application some of the treated skis then got accidentally hot waxed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wtf.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well it looks like the crowdfunding target will be comfortably reached, so DPS are going to have to put up or shut up. I think it’s probably snake oil, but would be very happy to be proved wrong.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Something else for us to argue about on here "my gear is better than yours" Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this reminds me of https://melt-ski.com/

and their questionable advertising campaign

http://youtube.com/v/ZjvLKXLNZSY
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some would have you believe that you don't need wax at all and are better off just scraping:

http://www.kuzmin.se/pgs/scien_princ_engl.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You would have thought that a plastic could be formulated that has the properties of a waxed ski base (maybe by adding PTFE or some other such substance). Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bottle of wine, I pod on, waxing iron out and lock myself in my man cave. Sorry I enjoy waxing my skis! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hmm be very interested in a double blind is it BS test. Some of the Whitedot demo fleet got treated with something pupporting to be similar called Juice. I don't think they ever got to evaluate properly because post application some of the treated skis then got accidentally hot waxed.

I spoke to the guys at Juice in some depth about buying some for all my skis. They were very big to claim 'it's just like wax' or 'such and such a racer can't tell the difference'... but asking them in-depth questions about their product it became quite obvious to me that they just didn't know the answers, and thus, didn't really know much about their own product.

Kinda reminded me of the self-styled doctors selling holistic remedies that I encountered in India. No idea what it actually is or how it works but hey if you pay me lots of money you can have some and it will solve your problem - because I say so.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From their FAQ
"Does Phantom change the appearance of the skis?
Your skis or snowboard will retain a glossy black appearance after a Phantom application. After thirty days or so of use, any base material will begin to look “dry” as snow abrasion starts take its toll. At this point, a stone grind will freshen the appearance to new."

That makes it sound like you'll need to grind the bases every 30 days or so, if the base visibly "wears" surely it's getting slower?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DPS were coating their new skis with what may well be the same product last year, under a different name. From what I can remember this wasn't developed by DPS but they bought it in, so it looks like they have bought the rights.

My treated Wailer 112 Pures started showing dry patches after a 4-5 days, but I didn't notice any change in glide there was however a lot of man made snow in resort, which didn't help.

This is the original company, but the product appears to have changed from the full base treatment, to a spray on booster product.

https://looknowax.com/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Further information from Blister and Stephan Drake http://blistergearreview.com/podcast/dps-phantom-the-end-of-ski-wax-ep-59
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always sworn by layering in Rain-X with my waxes, cheap and very very hydrophobic. As far as I can tell thats all Not Wax is but Rain-X is far cheaper
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

From whats been said on TGR they have bought Juice out.
ski holidays
I wonder what the expected cost is likely to be (assuming it goes ahead and they get their crowdfunding) ?

How much would people be prepared to pay for a treatment £20, £50, £100?
latest report
king key wrote:
I wonder what the expected cost is likely to be (assuming it goes ahead and they get their crowdfunding) ?

How much would people be prepared to pay for a treatment £20, £50, £100?

USD100 is the RRP.
ski holidays
madmole wrote:
I've always sworn by layering in Rain-X with my waxes, cheap and very very hydrophobic. As far as I can tell thats all Not Wax is but Rain-X is far cheaper

As an aside, Rainx Anti Fog is a good anti fingerprint coating on phones and tablets.
snow report
We did indeed do some testing on 'Juice' but then got distracted, our initial conclusions were:

Pretty good compared to wax in some snow conditions
Not as good as wax in some other snow conditions
Felt like you needed to scrape the wax on your skis when you first 'pushed off'

There is no harm in having the treatment under wax, so one way to look at it would be: treat the skis, wax anyway, get optimal performance, if wax get rubbed off then don't have to rush straight to the bench and iron.

Would be good for carpet riders, who are in danger of burning their bases when their wax rubs off.

One thing I don't quite get: If this tech is good, and it 'sinks in' and impregnates more than just the surface of the base, then why isn't the whole base just made that way in the first place?
Juice talked about how the ideal scenario was treat a whole roll of base material in the factory before it even gets made into skis, but what I mean is how come the base material manufacturers don't just build it into the chemical composition of the actual base material?

Is it a 'Man in the White Suit' type conspiracy.
latest report
My thoughts on this:

https://www.stylealtitude.com/phantom-wax-dps.html

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150270
ski holidays
Just tried out the new skis which are Phantomed and they sure are fast!
snow report
Haven't waxed mine in 2 years, the bases haven't got any greyness on them which you'd expect without waxing!
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
Haven't waxed mine in 2 years, the bases haven't got any greyness on them which you'd expect without waxing!
How many days of skiing on them is that as don’t you quite a bit?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy