Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: SKI WALES - 2017/18 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons & Snowdonia National Parks

Poster: A snowHead
stevie.j. wrote:
@BertieG,
hi heading to pen y fan in morning looking to set off from pont at daf carpark, just down from the storey arms car park, more of a gentle walk up, at around half eight to nine company on the walk up be great.

Pleasure to meet you today.

Hopefully make some turns together next time 👍
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good stuff.

That north face looks epic.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:
Good stuff.

That north face looks epic.

Cheers.

Yeah it's not 'on' very often and there was too much snow on Monday. A nasty cornice had formed half way down the face so stayed well clear.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, Epic indeed but beyond me unfortunately. I'm guessing that drop-ins from further down and round the ridge both sides are much more achievable for us mortals? Also, any updates on snow conditions after today's rain will be gratefully read!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deibitto wrote:
@Mike Pow, Epic indeed but beyond me unfortunately. I'm guessing that drop-ins from further down and round the ridge both sides are much more achievable for us mortals? Also, any updates on snow conditions after today's rain will be gratefully read!

Indeed.

That's where I played on Monday. Skier's left down the ridge from Pen-y-Fan dropping into Cwm Sere.

Pics and vid later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

MOUNTAIN PEOPLE

They come from far and wide to revel in the winter conditions in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Dan McIntyre (@danmac4114) had driven from Bracknell, Berkshire; Tom McConnel was up from Devon; and John (@j__p__e) had driven from Talybont.

Although John's journey was the shortest it was the most difficult as he had to dig the car out first.

I'd set out before sunrise in anticipation of catching first light from up high, but when the forecasted sunshine failed to materialise and the high winds chilled me to the bone I took off the skins and started to ski back to the car.

About halfway down I met Dan, Tom & John and after a quick chat changed my mind about bailing for the day.

They set off ahead of me as I put the skins back on.

By the time I caught sight of them again they'd headed right to ski the Cefn Crew slopes and I'd continued on to Pen-y-Fan with local photographer Anthony Pease (@pease971).

Although I didn't get to make turns with the boys - I saw their handiwork on my way down to the car at sunset - it was great to meet like-minded people on the mountain.

Dan, Tom & John

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must have missed you all in the cloud
[img]https://flic.kr/p/22r2GoH[/img] don’t seem to be able to show photos using an iPad!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 13-12-17 18:48; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BertieG wrote:
Must have missed you all in the cloud!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88030005@N02/39008292701/in/dateposted-public/[img][/img]

Easily done 😀
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="BertieG"]Must have missed you all in the cloud
Pen y fan by foilflyer2, on Flickr
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Someone in the avalanche thread is reporting there was an avalanche in Wales and some dood nearly dead.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitegold, avalanched, yes. Nearly died, no. A slab ruptured above him, carrying him a distance down the slope. Few bruises, lost his poles, broke his phone, wasn’t buried. His account is on the British Backcountry FB page...

Makes you think, mind.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

MOUNTAIN PEOPLE

It was an absolute pleasure to meet photographer Anthony Pease (@pease971) on the path to Pen-y-Fan this morning

I'd set out before sunrise in anticipation of catching first light from up high, but when the forecasted sunshine failed to materialise and the high winds chilled me to the bone I took off the skins and started to ski back to the car.

About halfway down I waited to see if there would be a break in the weather and met Anthony who was on his way down from the summit of Pen-y-Fan.

We saw a glimmer of blue sky, changed our minds, and made our way back to the summit of Pen-y-Fan.

We were both very glad we did.

Despite the howling winds and biting cold it was magical when the sun broke through and revealed unlimited views across the Brecon Beacons National Park, from the Black Mountain in the west to the Black Mountains in the east, and the pearl - the Central Beacons Masssif - in the middle.

Anthony 'Getting The Shot'

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcpc2Gunwi3/?taken-by=mikethesnow

To see Anthony's fantastic images please visit his Instagram gallery

https://www.instagram.com/pease971/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

MOUNTAIN PEOPLE

After making one run into Cwm Sere from the ridge line skier's left of the Pen-y-Fan gullies, I got back to the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan to take photos and drink in the views.

Whilst I was up top I met a Brecon Beacons legend, Bryn Evans from Caerphilly (originally from Cardiff).

A retired Royal Marine, Bryn is a fit and sprightly 71 years of age who still has the passion to walk the Brecon Beacons, especially under a blanket of snow.

Over a wonderful conversation he shared that he still skis; has skied across Scotland from East coast to West; and spent many years in Norway training Royal Marines in Winter Warfare & Travel.

He's also responsible for one of the most gruelling selection exercises for the British Special Forces - a timed march from Llanddeusant in the West of the National Park to Capel-y-Ffin in the East which has affectionately become known as 'Bryn's Ball Buster'!

I started skiing the Brecon Beacons National Park in 1997, where I would often be the only person on the mountain some winter mornings let alone the only skier.

Bryn told me that he started skiing the Brecon Beacons some 30 years earlier in 1967 in leather boots and cable bindings!

He said he'd have a look up the attic to dig out some old photos of skiing in the Beacons.

I can't wait to see them

Bryn Evans

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inspirational - both.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
imorris wrote:
Inspirational - both.

Cheers.

How are things?
snow report
Good job guys...inspiring!
snow conditions
motdoc wrote:
Good job guys...inspiring!

Many thanks
ski holidays
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

MOUNTAIN PEOPLE

On my way back to the car I stopped to talk with photographers Ian and Nick (@nickmasonphotography) who were on Cefn Crew setting up for sunset shots of Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan.

Ian is a lecturer in Creative Arts in Coleg y Cymoedd Nantgarw and he was out shooting on film on an old fashioned camera.

It was very interesting to see him set up his shots with a loupe on the back plate and then don the hood to block out the light.

Think I'll stick with my @Panasonic GX80 micro 4/3 set up Smile

Ian

latest report
Great thread @Mike Pow,
snow report
@Mike Pow, re-baselining epic, as usual. Great thread 👊

Nick’s an occasional sH and Lofoten veteran too. Not seen him for ages, how was he?
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
imorris wrote:
Inspirational - both.

Cheers.

How are things?

Good!
Been trying to figure out how to fit in a trip of a lifetime to Japan before I get too old.
Reading Snowheads can be expensive....
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Great thread @Mike Pow,

Cheers 🍻 👍
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
@Mike Pow, re-baselining epic, as usual. Great thread 👊

Nick’s an occasional sH and Lofoten veteran too. Not seen him for ages, how was he?

Much appreciated.

He's very well
snow report
imorris wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
imorris wrote:
Inspirational - both.

Cheers.

How are things?

Good!
Been trying to figure out how to fit in a trip of a lifetime to Japan before I get too old.
Reading Snowheads can be expensive....

Good to hear 👍
snow conditions
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

Had the full gamut of weather conditions and light on and around Corn Du, Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn

ski holidays
MONDAY 11 DECEMBER 2017

PEN-Y-FAN POWDER!

I bid farewell to Anthony Pease (@pease971) on the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan and dropped into Cwm Llwch - the glacial cirque between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan - and traversed round to the ridge line which separates Cwm Llwch and Cwm Sere.

Cwm Sere is the glacial cirque between Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn and looked to have the best snow conditions this morning. And it was bathed in sunshine Smile

There was a fair bit of windblown snow on the ridge line and the east facing slopes, which created some interesting patterns and ski conditions.

I did one lap in boot top powder about halfway down the slope and then bootpacked my way back to the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan intending to ski around to Cribyn.

But after spending time chatting with Bryn Evans up top there wasn't enough daylight to do the Cribyn loop.

So I dropped into Cwm Sere for my second lap and skied to the river at the valley bottom.

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcyt25_Hqk9/?taken-by=mikethesnow

CORN DU SUNSET

Before my final run of the day - from the Cefn Crew ridgeline back to Pont-ar-Daf car park - I stopped to watch the sun lighting up Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan.

INTO THE SUNSET

My final run of the day - from the Cefn Crew ridgeline back to Pont-ar-Daf car park - was under sunset skies.

A fantastic day in the mountains of Wales meeting great people and skiing some wonderful snow.

It's hard to beat #skiingonyourdoorstep

VIDEO

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc1cGrnHP10/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-12-17 17:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Mike Pow, Excellent. Thanks for sharing.
latest report
cad99uk wrote:
@Mike Pow, Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow This is so great to see! I lived in the Rhondda for a couple of years but never managed to ski the Beacons, it looks amazing and I'm super jealous! (although I had 30cm in Solden, Austria on the 12th snowHead )

Thank you for sharing these pics and vids!!!

Fingers crossed for more snow, although it might be a bit of a drive from Portsmouth, I may have to make the trip! Laughing snowHead

W.
snow conditions
Willem wrote:
@Mike Pow This is so great to see! I lived in the Rhondda for a couple of years but never managed to ski the Beacons, it looks amazing and I'm super jealous! (although I had 30cm in Solden, Austria on the 12th snowHead )

Thank you for sharing these pics and vids!!!

Fingers crossed for more snow, although it might be a bit of a drive from Portsmouth, I may have to make the trip! Laughing snowHead

W.

Glad you liked them.

Definitely worth the trip from Portsmouth.
ski holidays
There's snow up there Ladies & Gentlemen

Great shot from the Chairman of Black Mountains Gliding Club. Taken from 10,000ft in his Mini Nimbus glider.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156123490416812&set=gm.2015229255426530&type=3&theater

ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Good chance of more overnight. Quite a bit forecast on the local hill but raining outside now.
ski holidays
On my way home from Hokkaido.

Snow in the Beacons is imminent.

See you up there 👍
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, what’s the most skiable way down for a novice penyfaner?
Towards Neuadd reservoir? Or down to Storey arms (or the lower car park)-I suppose storey arms would be the quickest way up.
snow report
Up and down from Pont-ar-Daf car park. Ski the Cefn Crew slopes.
snow conditions
Mike you seem to be the man in the know and I have been jealously watching your forays in the Japanese powder on Intsagram the last few weeks. Are you hopeful for some snow on Pen Y Fan this weekend? Hoping to dust the ski's off on Sunday before heading out to France on the 11th. Dont want to put any holes in the ski's before I go though! Are there any local(ish) webcams that you know of?
snow conditions
Very hopeful

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/mountains/brecon-beacons
ski holidays
Freezing level is going to be key.

Definitely a case of 'suck it & see'

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top
snow report
National Park webcams

http://www.breconbeacons.org/webcams
snow report
Storey Arms webcam

http://members.traffic-wales.com/cctvimages/camera4001.jpg?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy