Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@rungsp, a mate, who is on occasion prone to exageration, reported 9.5 hours of continuous face shots today! 🤣
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic snow...an exceptional start to the season.

Lots and lots of Asian skiers from Sing', HK and Thailand....a noticeable demographic change according to her bosses.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hyst wrote:
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/personal/ski/

It just works! Madeye-Smiley
It looks like a great idea except that their maximum parcel size is 160cm. Given the size is calculated as h+w+l, that's some very short skis for powder!

"Parcels larger than size 160 and greater than 300,000 JPY are not accepted by TA-Q-BIN."
Although, under "Special Covers" they offer a ski cover of 33cm x 215cm.

All very confusing Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've sent a ski bag no problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I sent my large and very full snowboard bag from Niseko to Tokyo, it's 170 long and full of all my snow gear and boots etc... No issues. Saying that though the Japanese girl at my accommodation filled out the form for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin wrote:
Hyst wrote:

It looks like a great idea except that their maximum parcel size is 160cm. Given the size is calculated as h+w+l, that's some very short skis for powder!

"Parcels larger than size 160 and greater than 300,000 JPY are not accepted by TA-Q-BIN."

Like Mike said no problem. Using public transportation it's the right solution.

What did you do in Japan? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin wrote:
Hyst wrote:

190 ski bag times two sent no probs. No special request or anything. From start to finish they handled everything brilliantly - if only all travel arrangements were so easy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sent ski bag twice this year, each form a different counter/terminal at Narita - they thought there was nothing strange about ski bag, even in October
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.facebook.com/MikunicatTour/videos/893892577440076/

Today

Anyone know how to make this video embedded (visable)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Idris, faecebook make these things as difficult as they can.
Youtube is always the better option.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Niseko Avalanche Report:

Niseko base 6.00am: -6°, 30cm new snow, light winds. Moiwa 800m : -9.6°, W4.1m/s(overnight gusting to 15m/s), 40cm new snow, cornice and snowdrift development. Annupuri 1150m: -13°, W8m/s, 50cm new snow, snow depth 1000m- 170cm, increasing. Hirafu 1200m: -13°, light winds, 50cm new snow. Coastal data: Benkei Cape:NW9m/s(2am: 17m/s). Kamui Cape: W10m/s, 1014hPa, wave 1.7m.

The wind pattern hasn't changed and heavy snow continues falling in the Niseko mountains. Grooming machines are having a hard time keeping up with it. The snow is so deep you should take snow shoes if you are snowboarding. From survey and data, on leeward slopes, cornices and knolls, above 800m there is risk of large scale surface avalanches triggered by rider stimulation. Avoid cliffs and steep areas. Snow in the forest is good but too deep.

Mizuno no Sawa avalanche control started yesterday and is expected to open this weekend. Hirafu and Annupuri peak gates are also expected to open at the same time. Please be patient. Poor visibility today due to snow fall. Take care falling into holes or hitting trees. Cracks are hard to see from above. Do not duck ropes. Have a good day.

Laughing Laughing

Wasn't planning to go to Japan this winter... but a (relatively) last minute Jan/Feb trip is very tempting.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T-44 Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Starter for 10

Cam

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc4Y5HqnXyj/?taken-by=mikethesnow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5J9ibnP8y/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike Pow, I think I need an advice on ski ribbons Embarassed ... as when I fall no way I will find my skis ... and I will fall
snow report
@mooney058, Get some Resqski ski finders. In a metre of powder, ribbons won’t help Very Happy
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, yes they will....and I should know Embarassed
snow conditions
19 December 2017
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

Yours truly getting deep in 'Powder Ride'

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5mJOwH1j4/?taken-by=mikethesnow

Yours truly just about able to hold my breath long enough

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5niPdnMc1/?taken-by=mikethesnow
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, looks like you're just straight lining it, as when it's that deep that's all you can do Toofy Grin

Be out there in a month - though no complaints about here yesterday!
ski holidays
@Mike Pow,

“Jesus Christ” Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, looks like you're just straight lining it, as when it's that deep that's all you can do Toofy Grin

Be out there in a month - though no complaints about here yesterday!

I'm turning, but ever so subtlely.

On a wider platform speed can be controlled by sending the skis sideways and/or pivotting across the fall line.

On a narrower platform (115 in the nose, 84 under foot) the resitance from snow immersion does the same thing.
snow report
30 days, can't wait Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
20 December 2017
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8NJe8HRma/
latest report
@Mike Pow, I do love following your adventures in Wales....but I am even more pleased to see you back where you belong and posting clips like these!

The Lass is working for Go Snow in Niseko.
She said there is so much snow that she has been teaching a fast group of kids in the deep snow and one of the drills has been how to hold your breath while skiing!!
latest report
@rungsp, So you have lost one girl to the japanese snow as well. We are the ones who left behind. Sad
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
@Mike Pow, I do love following your adventures in Wales....but I am even more pleased to see you back where you belong and posting clips like these!

She said there is so much snow that she has been teaching a fast group of kids in the deep snow and one of the drills has been how to hold your breath while skiing!!

Cheers. Great to be back

And yes breathing timing is an underappreciated skill.
snow report
@Mike Pow, didn't have these problems last Christmas - more's the pitty
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Cheers. Great to be back

And yes breathing timing is an underappreciated skill.

that's what freaked me out in japan, the breathing timing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

32 sleeps until my first trip to Japan. Beyond excited.

Please keep posting!
snow report
I need to go back to Kiroro really badly...awesome videos Smile
snow report
1556garyt wrote:
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

32 sleeps until my first trip to Japan. Beyond excited.

Please keep posting!

Will do 👍
latest report
pleasehelpme wrote:
I need to go back to Kiroro really badly...awesome videos Smile

You know it makes sense 👍

Cheers.

All of SW Hokkaido getting the goods 😁
latest report
Just to put it all back into perspective:

The Lass reported a miserable Christmas Day in Niseko.
Howling wind.
Heavy rain at times.
All lifts shut for wind except the Family Chair where there was a 30 minute queue for a 2 minute ski down.

She had fast kids all day...and their parents left them all day Sad

I will remind her of the Karma of today when she is banging on about the next powder extravaganza!
snow report
rungsp wrote:
Howling wind.
Heavy rain at times.
All lifts shut for wind except the Family Chair

If you had included ice in that list, it would have summed up my experiences of Niseko. The Niseko resorts had the poorest conditions out of all the resorts I've visited in the last two seasons. Timing seems to be everything with Niseko.
snow report
Where are you going next?

So I can be sure to avoid

Miserable day yesterday and possibly today.

Normal service resumed tomorrow. See above.
snow report
How is Kiroro now - did you have rain up there before the snow-storm.
snow conditions
Hyst wrote:
How is Kiroro now - did you have rain up there before the snow-storm.

Been closed past two days.

Very brief period of sleet before it turned to snow.

Anyone's guess what the wind has done.

In Niseko Resort Area today (Wednesday)
ski holidays
Heading out to Niseko on the 30th Dec for 4 months, doing a little work but mostly play! can't wait.

Don't suppose anyone can recommend a decent sim card I could pick up out there? we'll have wifi in teh apartment so mainly just for use when we are out and about..
snow report
The ultimate (sorry - detinitive) guide:

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japanese-phones-wifi-walkie-talkies-the-definitive-guide.63642/

But make sure when you register your sim that you give your creditcard from the very start and that is a type you can recarge - than you can fill it up - 4 months is some time. (might have to buy more sim cards).

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/buy/#air01

So-net work ok for us, but can be sold out in Chitose if you count on the wending machine, which only takes cash in specific notes and coins.

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/#buy

And sakura sends to your home - but to late for you I guess:
https://www.sakuramobile.jp/

And stay safe!

https://www.nadare.jp/assets/cms/jan_A4_web_151215.pdf
ski holidays
Thanks Hyst, I'll give some of them a look over, sure something will fit our needs!

And thanks for the safety notice. Pretty keen to explore the back/side country and possibly a little bit of touring at some point, hike up yotei perhaps. The missus and I have invested in transceiver/probe/shovel but still need to actually learn how to properly use it all and could really do with taking an avalanche safety course before we venture beyond the ropes. Plus would probably like to head out with a gang rather than just the two of us!

For anyone out there, we'll be staying in Kabayama village just outside of Hirafu running a few self catered cabins
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy