Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2017/2018 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Positively spring like on the mountain today. 6 degrees at the Chariande express in the sun at 930am and up to mid teens by 1030!

Snow holding up well though especially higher up. Spent the morning in Flaine, Carroz and in Samoens. Busier obviously but still quite quiet.

Looks like more of the same weather wise tomorrow with a change on Boxing Day and a big dump forecast on 27th. Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much to add to the above from @Ghanny, only I went down the new blue run from the Morillon side to the new lift. it was early so mostly all in the shade. Its a very long run, with one or two steeper than normal blue bits. Man made snow all the way down that got a little thin in places. New lift in the shade was rather cold, but impressively fast. Hopefully they will build the other runs promised, as it looks like a huge area.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very warm Christmas day, soft to the top of tete des saix, but snow still good, if a bit like cream cheese.

Not very busy, just what is it with increasing numbers of people who just straight line everything, turns don't seem to exist............just seemed more of that today...... Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Flaine with SCGB. About 20cm of fresh today. Snowed most of the day, started to clear from 4pm. Sunlight in patches on the last run. Plenty of powder to be found!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spent today circulating around gron as vis was much better in the trees, super powder everywhere, bit heavy low down, best day yet. Still snowing gently now, was very heavy around 1 ish.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 5-01-18 22:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really envy you guys the fantastic skiing you are having. I am heading out there in two weeks for a four day break, so lets hope the conditions are going to continue.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was also over around there this morning Carroz. Skied around Gron a few times, Portet, Sairon etc. Visability good considering as it snowed all morning. Really great fun. Sleeting at village level in Samoens. Snow forecast overnight and tomorrow morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got to Flaine late last night having swallowed hard and booked flights at the last moment on the back of wonderful snow reports and more to come. Snowing when we woke up at 7am and has continued all day. Visibility not good, even lower down, but keep to the trees and there was some lovely snow to be enjoyed. Portet was great fun early on and Marvel was a delight, very few people on it. Did the new run (Chars?) down to the new chair (Coulouvrier?). The top of the run is accessed from the tunnel that used to be the route down to the (now defunct) Lanches chair and the tunnel was quite icy. As others have observed above, it is quite a tough run to be categorised as blue and this afternoon there were icy patches where the fresh snow had been scraped off. There are a couple of quite narrow stretches and I can see these being quite difficult for first time skiers. Ended the day off back in the Flaine bowl and by 4pm the visibility was getting quite bad. Good for the technique but quite hard work. When it stops snowing the conditions should be even better.

One moan: I picked up a 2017/18 piste map and it is still showing Lanches and does not have the new run and chair. What is the point in reprinting the piste map if you don't update for changes?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
definitely better in the trees today. mostly around Aujon and the magic forest. plenty of easy off piste but light flat. snowing heavily, the NW has arrived and it was a grim run down to grand vins to get home. if it snows all night tomorrow will be epic! patches of 40cm powder, but wind picking up.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chris Mason, I think some of the 2017/8 maps are right and some are wrong. We picked up good ones in Carroz, but the first ones we had were out of date.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mixed bag for me this morning. Visibility nil at tete des saix and was ‘interesting’ skiing down there with loads of people basically stopped mid piste spooked by the visibility I guess.

Then once cleared the fog had loads of fun over in Morillon in the fresh snow. So much fun forgot the time and was late picking kids up from ski school. Sunny now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first time in the Grand Massif - set off from Morillon first thing, skied Sairon and Doina all the way back down, snow at the bottom a little bit hard but lots of soft fresh everywhere else. Kept low early on, as previous posters have said, visibility poor higher up. Then headed over to Les Carroz via Biollaire and Combe, great soft snow and not too busy, but big queue at the bottom for the Kedeuze. Down Marmottes and up the Tetes des Saix then down to Samoens for lunch whilst the 'young' adults headed over to Flaine. Visibility improved in the afternoon, skied down to the new Coluouvrier chair on the (new?) blue Aouia run - again great snow conditions and not busy. Skied up and down Perce Neige and L'Arete, then Siron to the Biollaires chair, before finishing up the afternoon coming down Marvel. Marvel great for new skiers, and not at all busy.

Excellent first day back on skis for nearly a year and lovely to have a Christmas/New Year with lots of snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A real character test this morning.... iron-flat light, and fair breeze, making it feel a lot colder than the -14 claimed. Some lovely powder nonetheless..... and some nice lines in the sun off the grand vins piste on the way home courtesy of our guide.... DMC didn't open until 10 on account of the Ava blasting...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clear blue skies this morning but there is a tiny bit of cloud coming in. Yesterday's poor visibility made for challenging skiing in the morning but once it had cleared in the afternoon it was very good. Made fresh tracks on the lower part of Faust before everyone else went down it. The lifties said they were going to open the Aujon drag so waited for that but they eventually said it would be closed all day, I assume because of the avalanche risk from the cliffs at the top. Skied down to Vercland in the afternoon, had to stay on the edges of the piste in places to stay off some icy patches. An excellent day's skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heavy snow last night and still snowing now here in Flaine. Cannot see across the valley so visibility is going to be a problem today. Yesterday started off with clear skies but cloud slowly rolled in and was snowing lightly by 3.00. They opened Aujon yesterday morning so had some fun playing in the powder to the left of the piste as coming down. By the afternoon the pistes were getting very bumpy and the bottom of the Grands Vans chair warned of possible lift closures due to high winds, although that didn't happen. Bumps aside, all the pistes are in great condition and the off piste opportunities are almost endless - and that was before last night's snow! Warmer outside than yesterday, I wonder whether it was falling as snow lower down. Subject to lifts opening and visibility, should be another great day.
snow report
Seems to be heavyish rain at the moment. Was snowing a bit first thing in Les Carroz.

Currently sheltering with hot chocolate in Morillon!
latest report
Been raining all morning in Samoens and I’m having an official rest day. Was thinking of going out this afternoon but only if it stops raining. Can’t see it. Supposed to be sunny and warm tomorrow though. Back to UK on 2nd.
snow report
Got very wet ski-ing from Vercland this morning - quite a few lifts closed (links over to Flaine), was initially snowing at top of Chariandes Express but turned to rain lower down eg on Molliets chair and and L'igloo. Gave up at lunch time and skied down to Morillon by which time we were all soaked through.
snow conditions
If it is snowing can you still get up to the area to do onyx , or the diamant noir? or are they closed off in weather like this?
ski holidays
dunno where Chris was staying..... a foul wet day! anyone on transfer is probably having a better day. all that lovely snow from yesterday is now porridge.... dmc closed from midday, upper runs were ok for early am, but even the virgin off piste was really tough, and was unpleasant from mid am onwards. bailed at lunch time. hope tomorrow's sun forecast will be true, but suspect the runs will be solid underfoot.
snow report
@hamilton, It did look promising when I last posted, but soon changed! Went out at 9.30 and got very wet. Almandine was very heavy and off the top of the Aup de Veran was no better. Gave up at 11.00, soaking wet and miserable. Sitting in my apartment watching the snow slowly getting washed away.
snow report
Mairies of Sixt and Morillon have issued blanket bans on all off piste skiing until the 3rd...
latest report
Major mud slide reported between les gets/taninges/verchaix. Roads to all 3 places blocked and closed and will not reopen tonight. Sad
ski holidays
What a difference a day makes! Clear skies at the start of the day. The piste bashers had done a great job, although there are some lumpy bits around. Went over to Carroz first via Molliets, noting that the Vernant chair was not working and wondering how we were going to get back to Flaine. Pistes in great condition and not too busy. As the morning went on the pistes became more and more icy, particularly on the steeper sections, and the queues become longer - about 15 minutes to get on the Tetes de Saix chair. Vernant did start working but when I was on it it kept on stopping, suggesting an ongoing problem. Sun still shining and it is quite warm - sign at top of Grands Vans read 6˚C.
ski holidays
Skied lower down in Morillon this morning with wife and kids. Hard pack and quite busy but at least you could see and no rain.

Last day tomorrow till Feb.
snow report
Headed over from Carroz to Flaine this morning. Big queues, but not so bad over in Flaine. Getting quite icy, so decided to see what Cascades is like.

Great run down, it's in excellent condition, best snow of the day. Now just waiting for the bus in Sixt.
ski holidays
Oh I might do that tomorrow then. Like the run but last time i skied it the bottom part was horrible.
snow report
I think I was on same bus as @chippie at Sixt. Then liaison with Flaine closed!! 👹 Bus to Morillon. Two lifts to Chalet D'Eclair. Fast to Les Carroz. Kedeuze. Fast to Les Molliets. Almost last on Tete Des Saix. Fast to Vernant. Upload at 16.25. Then straight line to Les Gerats in time for 16.35 close. Great fun, but not sure it would work out so well if we tried again! Fantastic sunset to cap off fun end to 2017!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lol, was it the bus that had to reverse and go the back roads due to the main road being blocked by an accident?

I too got caught out at Samoens. On another bus to Morillon. Then only had to get back to Les Carroz.
ski holidays
That was the one. Did you get the bus to Les Carroz?
ski holidays
Well that was fun. Some fresh snow overnight, and skied down an unpisted Gouilles in Samoens first thing which was great.

Then clouds came in so went over to Portet, then Morillon when the sun came out. Skied a bumpy red above Sairon, then Sairon, back up and then down the new run to Coulouvrier chair and back up to Tete. Last run of the trip a bumpy Marmotte back to Samoens.

Was considering Cascades but didn't really have time as had to get back to pack as leaving tomorrow am.

Quite windy at the top. Great mornings skiing.

Was an excellent trip, back for half term. Hope the snow stays good and everyone enjoys the skiing. Happy New Year!
snow report
@Ghanny, your last day was our first! Very surprised at how quiet it was, had expected far more people about today.

We skied in heavy snow and low vis at the top of Sairon and within half an hour were skiing in bright sunshine. We took the new Chars run down to Coulouvrier lift from Morillon and were not impressed. Nothing done to improve the tunnel, several steep stretches and some narrow bits with no netting - not really a blue and would have freaked me out when I was a nervous beginner. But the views were superb and the lift fast.

By the time we finished just after lunch there were pockets of wind getting up and creating snow storms by blowing the snow off of the trees. It's now looking a bit grey, so hope that means some snow on the way..........
snow conditions
There had been about 15 or 20cm of snow in Les Carroz overnight and more up the mountain. It was forecast to snow all day today, but there was none at all and we even had some nice sunshine for part of the day. Pistes still in superb condition.

Things were much busier today, assume everyone had a hangover yesterday and didn't come out. And many of them left their brains behind today. rolling eyes Main culprits were those popping off piste and rejoining the piste without looking to see if anyone was coming, along with the big family groups stopped in the middle of quite narrow pistes.....usually just where you couldn't see them from above.

Forecast is now rain for several days, let's hope the forecast is as accurate as today's!
snow conditions
someone killed in morillon by a tree being blown onto the piste apparently........must be wild out there
snow report
oh no, I hope not, that would be awful. Had a note from a friend, she went down to Super U and by the time they came back up to LC it looked like a tornadoe had been through.
latest report
That's very sad, Franceinfo says it was a 21 year old on the Marvel.

We went down to Cluses and at one point there were bits of tree blowing all over the place, accompanied by a few sheets of corrugated iron from the scrap merchant that's near the main road. It rained very heavily some of the time, with clear spells between. By the time we came back up there were a lot of small branches all over the roads and a tree had blown down across the road just below Les Carroz, but had been cleared before we got there.
latest report
That is so very very sad. Is this is why they closed suddenly mid-morning? A tree had come down on Marvel when we were there before Xmas. I had skied ahead, so could shout back to get the kids to slow down. What a dreadful thing to happen, to him and his family.
snow report
That is so very sad, was it brought down by high winds? or did it just fall from weak roots? What a terrible thing to happen.
ski holidays
@biddpyat, whilst I am sure there is a formal investigation going on, it looks as if it was from the winds, which were very, very strong yesterday.

In Les Carroz there was snow overnight, which turned to rain early this morning. And it has rained heavily and non-stop since. Some lifts in Carroz are open, but Flaine, Morillon and Samoens are closed.

We've just driven up to Flaine (that's what boredom does for you!) and in places the road is like a river. The good news is that since we were there a couple of weeks ago there has been far more snow than I had realised, so even if some of it disappears, things will be waaaaay better than they were this time last year.
latest report
Hello everyone,

Finally convinced my lads ski and board group to try somewhere different other than Val and Zermatt this year ... we booked the Totem in Flaine for a long weekend in late March.

This one's on me so I really hope the area is great and the snow will be in tip-top condition.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy