Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2017/2018 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@Ski knees, Chamonix Meteo are generally considered to be best as, if nothing else, they have real people behind the local forecast and not just a supercomputer. Just need to bear in mind that you are 1 or 2 valleys across which can make a difference. http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, do you know if Chamonix Meteo feeds the France Meteo app? We've always sort of assumed it did, but never been sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sj1608, seem to have lost my post. My understanding used to be that that was the case (no idea why as no branding as such) until a kind SH put me right. While MeteoFrance have a local agency that feed into their forecasting, Chamonix-Meteo is an independent group.

https://www.verif.com/societe/MONT-BLANC-PUBLISHING---WEATHER-%26-INFORMATION-NETWORK-393901699/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sj1608,
Thanks for the info, have downloaded the app. The webcams show lots of lovely white stuff, but the forecast from the 6th Looks rather warm! Looks like we'll have to go high.. if it's possible there? Are there any snow- sure slopes in the area? Or should we pack hiking boots and change the nature of the holiday?!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ski knees, pretty much everything in Flaine is snowsure at the moment! There is over 4m of snow at the top and the pistes are all very wide and noticeably 'high' (you look down on, not up to, many of the piste signposts this year!), where last year they were pushing snow to the middle of narrowed pistes with brown bits and a few rocks. Yes, it gets soft lower down later in the day, but it is easy in Flaine to stay high by looping the 'top halves' of several pistes. Unless you really want to go hiking, I don't think there's any need. Happy

Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ski knees, wot @sj1608, said.

There is no shortage of snow, except perhaps below 1,400(?) m and south facing. Flaine will have great piste snow well after it closes for the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, even that low there's no shortage anywhere in the GM, it's just slushy at times. Plenty at Morillon 1100 and bottom of Carroz telecabine (1200 or 1250, can't remember which). And Cascades piste, which goes right down to Sixt, was still open yesterday. I haven't done Cascades this year, but was told that its main issue last week was that there was too much snow on the narrow lower bits, which was making them even narrower than usual!

There's been a dusting of snow overnight in Carroz village. Looking at the webcams, the trees are white at the top of the telecabine, so assume there was more up higher.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sj1608, ahh. There you go then.

There’s just been a bit of a sort of general ~1,3-1,400m rain snow limit for many of the storms (into Chamonix anyway) and most recently we’ve only been up Brevent which is south facing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, really interesting how much variation there is over a relatively short distance.

Visibility was poor first thing today, especially in Flaine where the bowl seemed to be full of cloud, with a few more flakes of snow. There was a nice layer of powder, between 1 and 5cm, which had fallen after they'd finished grooming. Visibility improved for a while with the odd bright patch and then at about 2pm it started snowing quite heavily and is still snowing in Carroz village.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This morning it is snowing in Flaine, probably about 5cm settled since yesterday afternoon. It seems to be quite wet snow so my guess is that this might be falling as snow in the lower resorts. Visibility poor. Should be some nice fresh powder to ski on higher up. I know it has been said before but this really is a remarkable season for snow. I can envisage coming out here in the summer and needing snow shoes rather than walking boots to go hiking. The snow depths are amazing and it is going to take a long time to melt even when the warmer weather kicks in.

Went down Cascades on Monday, in superb condition except for the last 400m or so where it was quite heavy. All the other pistes are in great condition but the off piste is very lumpy and will be so even after the snow last night. Agate (off the top of the Lindars Nord chair) was lovely and Marvel on Sunday was a joy to ski. Even the much criticised Chars run down to the Coulouvrier chair was enjoyable.

It seems to be very quiet this week but assume that will all change on Saturday. The last 3 weeks of the season are looking good, provided there is no significant rain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sj1608, think you are in LC at the moment? Can you maybe tell me what the snow is like in the village? Is the Place de Ambience clear or still need snow boots for all walks into town? Not normally an issue at Easter but who knows this year? thxs
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, @Cheesie168, yes, in LC right now. No, you don't need snow boots for walks in town any more, although there are a few puddles around. Most of the forecasts have rain for the next few days, but if they get the rain/snow limit wrong (in our dreams) it could all change again.......

It rained overnight and was still raining first thing this morning, although you could see snow on the trees higher up. The rain stopped and it brightened up and we had a good couple of hours out before the light flattened and it started to snow higher up and rain lower down.

There was powder everywhere above Molliets first thing, but this got bumped/fluffed up very quickly and was quite hard work. Especially when almost every piste had big (c.20 in some) groups of French school kids all apparently being taken down pistes that were beyond the competence of at least a few members of each group. rolling eyes

We found an action cam this morning on Dolomie, if anyone is missing one. Looks old, but will try to see if we can find anything to identify an owner. I'm hoping someone may have put their contact details in a photo on the memory card.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @sj1608, thanks a million. Ah the French school kids. We are next to the Neige Alps, so know just what you mean! Always funny watching them slouch down the escalators at the telecabine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rained heavily in Flaine yesterday evening but turned to snow at resort level overnight and still snowing heavily now. I would guess that 15 to 20 cm has fallen and could be much more higher up. Visibility very poor so I can't see whether there are any lifts running. Not rushing out at the moment. They've been blasting since dawn so the avalanche risk must be quite high.

As @sj1608, said above, there was some nice fresh powder early yesterday but visibility at the top was awful, down to about half way between top of DMC and top of Tetes de Verds. Snow became quite heavy as the day went on and started to rain at resort level at about 3pm. Time to get kitted up and venture out into the white wilderness.......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It rained all night and into the morning in Les Carroz and visibility was very poor from the village as it got light, but when there was a brief gap it was obvious from the trees that at least some of the precipitation was snow up higher.

We skied out of Molliets and stayed low (we couldn't see the Tete de Saix at any time, and didn't fancy treeless skiing in bad light) and had the pistes virtually to ourselves for the first hour, with around 15cm of powder. Visibility remained poor and it continued snowing all morning, with the rain/snow line between 1200 and 1400.

It has now stopped snowing in the village and the sun has come out. Smile
ski holidays
Stayed in the Flaine bowl yesterday. Visibility was mostly very bad and when the cloud did lift a little bit the light was very flat. The off piste was very heavy, even unpleasant, so stayed mainly on piste. There was light snow on and off all day. This morning is looking much brighter with patched of clear sky. Can see right to the top of the DMC and Aup de Veran. This will be my last day of the season so must go and make the most of it.
ski holidays
Nice ski this morning. Windy up top but some sun and visibility great. Mostly stayed in Samoens but had a ski round Morillon and down Char back to Samoens.

Somehow managed to stack it totally coming down the last part of Marvel right in front of the lift queue. Ski got caught in the heavy snow I think and was going quick enough for a total wipe out. Nothing hurt luckily.
snow report
Great day today. The links were closed this morning (maybe they were all day) due to wind and DMC not running early morning. The snow up the top appeared to have dried out in the wind and was in very good condition. Down Diamant Noir, which was probably as tame as I have ever known it. Fresh tracks off the side, mainly due to wind blown snow. Off piste higher up was a bit heavy but very skiable. The pistes were in fantastic condition throughout the bowl. DMC opened in the middle of the day but by 3pm was closed again, as was Diamant Noir chair and the Lapiaz drag. Very windy and cold going up the Desert Blanc chair. They even closed the yoghurt pots because they were swinging around like pendulums!

Started snowing at about 4pm and visibility very poor. Back to Blighty tomorrow, the road down from Flaine could be 'interesting'.
ski holidays
Finally at 18.30 rain turned to snow at 1100m
ski holidays
Snowing heavily in Les Carroz, too, and settling. Smile
ski holidays
It’s also snowing heavily in a Morillon village and settling, but the roads are very wet still so they ae staying clear - for now.
latest report
Really is the season that keeps on giving. Plenty of new snow today and sunny skies this morning. Snow was in fantastic condition. Starting to soften lower down when we stopped around lunchtime but what a brilliant mornings skiing.
latest report
@Ghanny, I think you were also commenting during half term right?

I would put this morning above just about any day I have had when here at Christmas or half term week. The fresh snow was a bit wet and not as much as earlier but the sun this morning and virtually empty pistes made up for it.

Weather is going to be all over the place this week. 12deg Tues and snowing again Thurs? Confused
snow report
Nearly there, one hour to go and it’s 23.5 degs! Can see lots of snow on the tops. Forecast warm so looks like we’ll be skiing in slush and t-shirts 😊 But, At least we’re skiing 😀😀!
ski holidays
@Ski knees, and you'll do well to be early risers, too! But, as you say, at least you're skiing. Happy

It was our last day today, we started early and stayed high and had a great time until about midday, when it got really slushy. There have been avalanches in the bowl, so some slopes are closed. When we left last season (about 25th March), all the slopes that are now avalanching were completely bare of snow, so that tells you just how much snow there is.
ski holidays
We are heading out today after some of the best Spring skiing we've ever had. I am pooped. A combination of early mornings, to get the best snow and long days in the sunshine, as the kids and their mates don't care if it is heavy going means I am going home for a rest! We even did Cascades early last week. Fab season, enjoyed my pre-Xmas week the best still I think as we had wall to wall sunshine, quiet slopes and great snow. I am very pleased for Les Carroz and the GM, as they needed it after a few bad seasons.
ski holidays
Was a great season. Pre Xmas was superb - half term fine and a great Easter. I understand they are still open till this weekend. One of the ski school guys told me they would be re modelling the Colouvrier runs over the summer.
snow report
Yep, I’ve also heard they will be adding some reds to the coulouvrier. That was a nice run this year. If you were in a group as we were you could basically all go at your own pace and meet at the bottom although they were difficult sections to be graded blue. A few extra runs there would be good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just here for a few days, one bit of lift news is the old 3 man Moulins chair that opened on odd occasions next to the les carroz gondola is no more, no idea if there will be something to replace it, but it was useful when the gondola broke (which is more often than it should be) or when it was very windy.

dates for next season

https://hiver.lescarroz.com/domaine-skiable/pistes-de-ski-des-carroz-et-du-grand-massif.html
snow conditions
Thanks for the news. I liked Moulins as on busy days it was easier to skip up that way. Any idea the course of the new toboggan / luge thing they have just started advertising? We won't get there till 3rd August, but am certainly counting the days.
ski holidays
@Cheesie168, I think that is why it has been removed, to make room for the summer luge, lots of diggers etc doing things when we went up yesterday. There are posters stating that it will be ready for christmas 2018 14th july fireworks were good, we had a prime view from the balcony.

there are some strange looking 3 wheel buggies at the bottom of the telecabin that you can hire and there is a specific course for them, it is advertised in the telecabin. Also there is a whole area down and around plein soleil now that walkers are banned from, where the new track for the buggies is.

Without moulins if the gondola breaks in the morning (and in high season / busy saturday/ sundays) its going to be manic..............the queues are not very good now....

There seems to be some activity around the new lift in morillon, with some clearing going on in a straight line (following the lift line but to the side of it) from the top, which looks like it may be a steep new run?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy