Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slopes: the conflict of teaching and open practice sessions at the same time

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now, common sense would dictate that open practice skiers would compensate for learners being taught at the same time. However, as we know, this is often not the case. For the first time in 10 or 12 years I've been dry slope skiing and was simply staggered to see some of the shocking habits of 'experienced' skiers schussing down the hill scaring the wits out of learners/novices.

What is wrong with these people? Are they just inately selfish? Do they think they have a divine right to the slope because they've paid a tenner for the privilege? I have to say, the slope I was at was simply too small to accomodate all of these (seemingly) conflicting demands; in fact I'd say it was dangerous.

I'll probably go again as I did enjoy it but at a quieter time.

Have you come across a similar conflict? What do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, ski instructors who insist on leading their class in a snake all the way from one side of the piste to another - making it virtually impossible to pass safely. You tend to zone out from what's going on around you in a class like that and obliviously follow the person in front, making it even more important for the instructor to ensure the class isn't taking up the whole piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does the slope not have a beginner area off to the side? If so then beginners should be on that. If not I'd say its the slope mgt fault for running mixed sessions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a difficult one to enforce. Most dry slopes are too small to have a beginner area with a lift, even if they do it allows 2 turns at the most. By the end of the 3rd hour the beginners need to progress to the main slope.

It's difficult for slope management to avoid running mixed sessions. You may have a learner class of 4 skiers just progressing to the main slope, is it realistic to ban open practice at this time, particularly as there will be mixed family groups where some will still be learning and some will have progressed on to open practice.

Our dry slope is very busy in January and up to half term, and I would say it can be too busy, but that's when the demand is. At least the slope is limited by uphill capacity so the main problem of being overcrowded is a long lift queue. I have never actually seen an accident on the slope caused by skiers colliding due to the number of skiers, but they probably do happen.

We see skiing on a crowded slope as a plus point at times. It's much closer to conditions on holiday, particularly for half term skiers and allows beginners to understand the 10 point rule, why it should appply to them and how to use it in practice (for example always looking above before starting, respecting others, standing only at the side of the slope).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO the problem is not the lessons but the public who dont give them enough condiseration, and fly down the slope only just in control.
As an instructor we have to progress our students on to the main slope, otherwise we wouldnt be doing our jobs, and i personally make sure they are well aware of the etiquette and caution the situation deserves, eg checking up hill, giving others plenty of room, etc.
I often see people out on open practise not showing the same consideration. Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As I understand it from some informed sources, dry slopes face an increasing problem of profitability, hence it would be financial lunacy to turn some people away, especially during the peak season. I can understand this but I would ask how many slope operators employ a duty instructor to watch for on slope behaviour? By this I don't mean yobs but rather people who ski inappropriately. I saw plenty of examples last week of what I would consider poor etiquette but there was no D.I. to enforce the rules. At times the slope resembled a complete jungle of people skidding, emergency braking, schussing, tumbling-it was carnage!

I suspect Robbie is right; 'accomplished' skiers do need to compensate for the less experienced and we all have a duty to watch out for each other. It's a shame this doesn't always happen in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin mcclean, A duty instructor keeping an eye on things always used to be the case, but I suspect that now the slopes can't afford it. Your scenario sounds just like this week here! Half term is a NIGHTMARE! Fortunately it's now snowing, and reduced visibility + new snow = less accidents and less lunatics!!! Of course that can't happen on a dry slope! Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also work on a dry slope and it can be difficult getting the balance right sometimes. We do have a separate nursery slope that is fine for about the first hour and then we move to the main slope. Most of the time it is fine and learners do actually like to see and chat with other skiers as it gives them an idea of what they can achieve.

On our slope though, if anyone is being stupid and not ski-ing with consideration to others, then we will simply ask them to stop ski-ing and that is it. Half term this week saw me ejecting a couple of kids. We're a fairly small slope so it is easy to monitor things.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy