Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

staying near terminal 2

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Hope this is in the right section. We are travelling down to London in February to fly to Canada. We are planning on arriving the night before and staying in a hotel.
Could any of you kind Snowheads advise as to the best options available to us. We were thinking of staying at the airport but Terminal 2 does not seem to have any Hotels.
Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks

Bob Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bhard, if I can book well in advance, I usually find Premier Inns a good balance between comfort and value. There are several quite handy for Heathrow Terminal 2.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Terminals 1,2 and 3 are essentially on the same site. It's only 4 and 5 which are in totally separate areas.

I'm not sure there are actually any hotels in terminals 1,2 or 3. The nearest hotels are generally scattered around along the A4 (Bath road) within a 5 minute bus ride. I'd imagine they'd all provide transport for you.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-10-17 19:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mikeycharlton, Does terminal 1 still exist?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, i'm not even sure.....it changes every time I visit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've travelled down down from the north to Heathrow for Canadian flights. The easiest we've found is staying at the Premier Inn Bath Road using their sleep park fly package. It involves meet and greet parking at the terminal the next morning so no shuttle buses.
It usually works out cheaper than the meet and greet parking alone.

There's no onsite hotel for terminals 2 and 3 that you could walk from to the hotel

Ps terminal 1 is now shut. Not sure if there's any future plans for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Terminal 1 is shut and still there I think but due to be demolished.

Im not aware of any hotel in T2 or linked by walkway. Several hotels off the perimeter road which would be closest to T2 but tend to be the higher cost corporate ones.

Generally the choice is between the stay/park/fly above where you leave the car in the hotel car park and get a bus (either free or paid for) or book parking and a hotel seperately and drive to the parking from the hotel.

Dont't book hotels near there now as I live close enough but the only time I did, it was a Comfort Inn off the M4 which I would avoid!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the replies so far. We are planning on coming down on the train. Its all a bit confusing, we flew down last year as part of the package but we are hoping to break the journey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
as others have said, your best bet is one of the many PremierInns of Trannylodges in the area, combined with an uber
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dread to think what you'd find in a Trannylodge!! I think I'll stick to Travelodge.

If you're not driving then the various perimeter hotels are connected to the airport by the Heathrow Hoppa - they're not allowed to run their own shuttles. Or you can pop onto the A4 and catch a local bus which is free around the airport.

If bringing your own car the Premier Inn parking package involves meet and greet parking at the terminal - you drop off and collect your car in the on site carpark - no buses or separate bookings required
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bhard, If you are breaking the journey and travelling by train, why not stay somewhere nice for the evening/day near the station you arrive to and then get the train/taxi to Heathrow before the flight?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Second that. Heathrow is a miserable place to stay so if it's not essential for car convenience get the tube, train or taxi if flight times allow.

If staying at Heathrow with a car I'd have suggested APH.com to get an idea of what's possible.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick Google suggests you would come into Euston. Why not stay in the Premier Inn or similar there (£70 for a random Fri in Feb) and v easy from the station, do whatever in London that day/evening and then either taxi or Circle line from Euston Sq to Paddington and Heathrow Connect from there (avoid the express) to LHR for the flight?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mmgg1988, why avoid the express? Just price? I regularly use the connect on my commute - it's reasonably reliable but when there are problems it's clear to me that the express gets the priority (it also runs twice as frequently). The connect also gets packed to standing only at rush hour.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tubaski, I think it is/was the most expensive rail journey per mile in the UK. Just looked it up and see you can get advanced tickets for a reasonable price now so perhaps I am a little out of date! Still a walk up fare is £37 return.

Used the Connect to commute out of town in morning peak and is fine (as the OP will be doing unless flight is after 7pm ish), always had 4 seats to myself! Main issue I think is the timings as they only go every 30 mins and they did cancel/alter them from time to time.

Personally I use the Piccadilly line as it is a pain to get to Paddington for me and I don't have to pay attention to train times! Not a great experience and no good at rush hour though.
latest report
Always amuses me when London peeps call it " Town" Most " towns" are about a ten minute walk from one end to the other.
snow report
endoman wrote:
Always amuses me when London peeps call it " Town" Most " towns" are about a ten minute walk from one end to the other.

Depends how late I am... Very Happy
latest report
@mmgg1988, ta - must admit I had no idea how much the express cost. I live near Heathrow so the only time I take the train to the airport is when I fall asleep on the Connect Embarassed
Found a useful comparison here:
https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/lhr_rail.htm (near the bottom)
latest report
endoman wrote:

Always amuses me when provincial peeps think that the City of London is a big place. 1.12 sq miles and a population of 9500 is tiny wink
ski holidays
Also suggest stay near Euston - loads of cheap hotels nearby- and get Heathrow express the next day. I think that’ll be less hassle than messing about on airport hopper busses.
snow conditions
I always stay in the crowne plaza , stay and park . lovely hotel , free health club . in fact just booked for next feb £165 for hotel and two weeks car park , booked through holiday extras .
latest report
@bhard, or if you don't especially want to stay in central London, you could save money and stay somewhere a bit quieter by using the rail-bus connections from places like Reading or Watford. Both have decent rail connections from the north. Better value hotels too. Might depend on flight timings though. If early departure, personally I'd prefer to stay near the airport overnight.

http://www.heathrow.com/transport-and-directions/buses-and-coaches/rail_air-bus-links
snow conditions
I’d stay within walking distance of Paddington, rather than Euston to minimise effort on departure day...
latest report
Traveled down from Shrewsbury last Friday evening, got the Heathrow Express out to Terminal 2. From there we caught the Shuttle Bus to the Premier Inn on Bath Road, about 5 minutes. As @intermediate said, good balance of value and comfort. snowHead
ski holidays
If you stay near Euston just jump on the Picadilly line. It'll take about an hour. This is not much more than going round to Paddington by tube, hiking from one end of the station to the other, just missing the Heathrow Express, waiting 15 minutes for the next one and then taking 15 minutes to get to Heathrow. Saves a good few quid as well.
snow conditions
@DJL, that's a good point. I clearly have been living elsewhere for too long and my TFL skillz have atrophied. Although ... Euston isn't on the Piccadilly line, you would need to walk to King's X or Russell Square.
snow report
@bhard, Where are you flying too. We go to Vancouver most years and just fly down from Manchester as it is sooooo much cheaper normally (£30 add on each) than going down to Heathrow. Our flights are always in the afternoon now so little point going over night - as we used to when they were early flights.

If you are driving down there then is car parking in the deal not more relevant? Never fancied all the changes needed to go by train.
ski holidays
I was planning to park and stay overnight at the Premier Inn on Bath Road for my flight to Calgary in January. Until I got in contact with Crystal and found that I would save £216 off my booking by changing to a connecting flight! I got a good deal, £30 for the Premier Inn and just under £70 for parking.

Taking into account petrol costs and that I got the money back for the parking, it was a no brainer to change my plans!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone plenty to think about ! Much appreciated

BoB
ski holidays
There are a couple of hotels on-site at T4, a Hilton (pricey?) and some sort of Japanese cube style thing. You can get from T4 to T2 easily and quickly on the Heathrow Express (free from T4 to T2) or the tube. Benefit is that you travel to Heathrow the day before when you have time, are not reliant on bus/traffic if staying at the hotels on A4 or on travelling in from Euston/Paddington etc on the morning of travel all of which can have issues that might result in stress and/or a missed flight. Might be some hotels on-site at T5 as well?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy