Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large, car-friendly ski area for snowboarders?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
Pasigal wrote:
... as you loved Summit County so much ...... if you have never been to Snowbird or Alta (I think they finally allow boarding...) or Park City you are in for a treat -- huge snowfalls many ears. We hit Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton and Park City in just one week. ...

You may be confusing Alta with Taos. I was there when hell froze over, but it has not yet done so at Alta. In any case, the OP would find Alta hard (it's not steep enough for novice / park boarders) and Snowbird is hardly a park oriented place. They'd likely find it small and incomprehensible. I had to think hard to remember where the "park" thing is - it's way down the bottom of Emma. Trick snowboarding isn't really what Snowbird is about. You see few snowboarders in the tram when it's groomed, and they're mostly novices. The clientele changes when it dumps, although they're not heading for the parks. Certainly SLC is good for driving around, or using the bus.

--
I'd say the OP is over thinking it.

Indeed, Alta still has a ski pole up it's bottom and won't let us give it our money. Couldn't care less.

I have been to snowbird, it may not have a park per se but it does have quite inviting terrain for freestyle, and great late season snow. It was very steep, so i was pretty exhausted by the end of the day, but it was quite fun. Generally i'd say im an above intermediate boarder but a rather beginner freestyler, i prefer the wider, mellower slopes because they're pess punishing on my rather arthritic knees, and easier to do flatland tricks on.

I might be overthinking it but I've had really pretty bad conditions on all my recent trips except the one to Colorado, it's just bad luck but when you've only got ine shot at it, its hard to be chill about it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
motig wrote:

I think you and I are really in the same mind-set here.

Ah yep looks like it. I was responding to comments like:

motig wrote:
I've been looking at Skiwelt and specifically Soll for a couple of days now. What worries me is the incredibly low snowfall figure there in the last couple of years. Top slopes didn't even reach 1 meter according to sources I could find.

Which made me think ou were looking at snow depth rather than snow fall?

I can totally believe that the snow pack didn't get over 1m deep in the SkiWelt over the last few seasons, however last season Soll actually got 150cms at the bottom (700m) and about 300cms at the top (1800m) - which is about 50% of their average.

Similarly Warth-Schröcken's snow depth never exceeded 150cms last season, despite receiving over 9m snowfall.

motig wrote:
I keep hearing that no-one in the alps gets more snow than the French and Swiss resorts and due to our rather low rate of success with Austria in recent years it has made me wonder if I should try out venturing further west, at least to the Arlberg region if not to France itself, hence this lengthy discussion snowHead

It's well documented that north west Austria - Damüls, Arlberg, Gargellen - get the most snow in the Alps every season, almost without exception (which year was it the Dolomites got 500% of normal snowfall?), so I'd say going west is a good idea.

In terms of your original requirements, I'd suggest looking at Montafon like I mentioned above, which I reckon is a bit better than the Arlberg for park (though there's still only one).

PS: best place to check where got the most snow is the 'look back' articles Weather to Ski do: https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/who-got-the-most-snow/who-got-the-most-snow-in-the-alps-in-2016-17/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, yeah, I was looking at both. Im always tinkering with the idea of scraping data off different websites to try and come up with sufficient data to take an analytical approach to this, did a bit of it last year, but even for me (it's pretty much my job) it's a bit challenging. Will share here if I ever do get around to any results.

And thanks for that link, will come in handy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The link that @clarky999, put up includes Val Cenis, worth a look if you are to consider flying to other than Munich.

It's not necessarily going to fulfil your "park" criteria well but outside that then it can offer I very good destination to meet your list of requirements.
The villages of Lansvillard and Lanselbourg are the principal focus to stay but all along that valley are additional areas to explore, with car access / parking being exemplary. Right at the head of the valley is Bonneval Sur Arc, have a look at snow there for fabulous powder.

Easily drivable is Orelle, in the other direction 40mins but with direct lift access to Val Thoren for a day there. Further, there is just through the Frejus tunnel, the Via Latea area within day reach.

Val Cenis itself has a huge amount of side piste terrain all over the mountain, all chair served. There are a few bordercross courses and small park in Termingnon sector, although this one is drag lift served but you can use just the bottom 30% of the lift to kep going round this one.

The whole area is much more subtle than many that shout big numbers and all the better for it. We've had exceptional snow there for last three seasons when visiting mid March. Persuaded friends to go there last January when many areas where poor snow levels and it more than matched my description for them.

Principally the slopes in VC are north facing so very low degradation of snow condition with lower freeze thaw going on.

Worth a look.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy