Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December Ski Trip - solo skier still thinking about it!

Poster: A snowHead
December trip. I had a trip planned for 16 December but it fell through at the last minute. I could just wait for January but I am still considering my options so if anyone is heading away early season to somewhere relatively snow sure I would be interested. It would be good to join an existing trip to make up the numbers, etc. I am pretty versatile!

I am a decent intermediate/ advanced skier with a bit of backcountry experience and able to ski in all conditions. I like a beer but I am not a party animal and really just enjoy a bit of après at the end of the day rather than big nights out. I usually ski with a larger group or a couple of good mates and I am just as happy to cruise about the piste all day as I am to chase powder off-piste when the snow gods give us the opportunity.

I am planning to ski in February and early March so if I don’t go in December it is no big deal.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you not aware of the PSB?
It would appear to fit the bill exactly, no? Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigrobski, Well, if you have the time, it certainly isn't the cost that could put you off. If you're itching to go ( as i assume you are to post) then it's well worth a punt on the PSB... i say 'punt' because it's early in the season and there's a chance not all will be open.
It sure beats hanging out too much in a snow dome though!
Accommodation looks amazing...great deal !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bigrobski - two of us, skier and boarder looking to go away 16-23rd of December. Both intermediate, similar situation. We haven't decided where yet, looking for something reasonably priced as we are going for our normal ski holiday in Feb. Not sure if best tactic or not but we were thinking of leaving it until mid-late November to book? We are similar, like a meal out and a few drinks but nothing heavy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

If you're looking for an option for the 16-23rd Dec then it might be worth taking a look at our chalets in the Paradiski area - www.ice-fire.co.uk

We've got a £299 per person deal for that week and we can do no single supplement for solo skiers. . .

Happy planning!
Heather
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bigrobski wrote:
I had a trip planned for 16 December but it fell through at the last minute.
Puzzled We must have different definitions of "the last minute"...

My advice would be to wait until ...er... much nearer the time and then book something if conditions are good. There's always tons of availability pre-Chrimbo
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Im off to zell am ziller 16 to 23 Dec solo.
Flying into Munich booked car for the week. Happy to meet up ski or apres and share car costs if times suit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, thanks for the messages. Not sure why the PSB would seem ideal given its taking place a week earlier than I am thinking about travelling. I've seen a few options and if anyone is interested in making up a small group let me know. I've sent a couple of PM to people who replied here so hopefully I will get something together!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bigrobski wrote:
Hi, thanks for the messages. Not sure why the PSB would seem ideal given its taking place a week earlier than I am thinking about travelling.
Well sorry! You didn't say you wanted to go on the 9th.
You said you wanted a December ski trip and that your trip on the 16th had fallen apart.

You wrote:
I am still considering my options so if anyone is heading away early season
The PSB is an option which is indeed 'early season'
Quote:
to somewhere relatively snow sure I would be interested.
Tignes is as relatively snow sure as it gets
Quote:
It would be good to join an existing trip
The PSB is an existing trip
Quote:
to make up the numbers, etc.
Thanks, the numbers are pretty good anyway but you're still welcome Little Angel
Quote:
I am pretty versatile!
Look, I'm not trying to persuade you to go - it makes no odds to me either way - just made the offer based on what you asked for.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bigrobski,
Quote:

Not sure why the PSB would seem ideal given its taking place a week earlier than I am thinking about travelling

Just to be clear, which week are you thinking of? The PSB is 2 weeks earlier than the 16-23 Dec dates you mentioned originally.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm... I appreciate the responses but PSB is too early. Admin, I Don't know why you chose to try to dissect my post in such a passive aggressive manner, I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm really not interested in hearing them. Enjoy the PSB, I hope it is a success.

I had a trip planned departing on 16 Dec but because of inept travel agents I lost my flight option so that is why I say it fell apart 'last minute'.

I've got a few options so anyone interested in making up a group drop me a PM.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bigrobski wrote:
I Don't know why you chose to try to dissect my post in such a passive aggressive manner

I was wondering the same thing. If you were wavering on the PSB I'm pretty sure a flame like that made your mind up for you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is admin about to flounceo off his own forum?

Is not wanting to go on a bash reason for a gob full of attitude?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bigrobski wrote:
Hmmm... I appreciate the responses but PSB is too early. Admin, I Don't know why you chose to try to dissect my post in such a passive aggressive manner, I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm really not interested in hearing them. Enjoy the PSB, I hope it is a success.

Aggressive? don't see where he is being aggressive.
Your opening post didn't stipulate that you had to go on specific dates and that's the only point where the PSB that doesn't match your requirements.

You said you weren't sure why the PSB would seem ideal and Admin just clarified that.

Don't understand why certain people on snowheads ask for help but then start bleating when people do try to help them.

PS Perhaps change the tread title with specific dates rather than just december.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 2-11-17 9:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bigrobski wrote:
Admin, I Don't know why you chose to try to dissect my post in such a passive aggressive manner, I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm really not interested in hearing them.

Well F*** You then! rolling eyes Said in a non-passive aggressive manner Very Happy
snow conditions
Have to say I also found Admins post totally reasonable and appropriate. Not his fault the OP didn't ask the correct question!
ski holidays
@DB, @jellylegs, @endoman, Admin tried to flog a place on the PSB, @Bigrobski demured saying the date didn't work, Admin then throws an undignified hissy fit and composes a sneering response, some comments taken completely (& possibly deliberately) out of context.

It's ugly, and reflects badly on Snowheads if that's the top down attitude. I wouldn't be surprised it it put off more people than just @Bigrobski. Certainly makes me wonder about the mindset of someone who has the time and inclination to construct a detailed (if incorrect) flame response to a relative newcomers friendly request for some skiing buddies.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@DB, @jellylegs, @endoman, Admin tried to flog a place on the PSB, @Bigrobski demured saying the date didn't work, Admin then throws an undignified hissy fit and composes a sneering response, some comments taken completely (& possibly deliberately) out of context.

It's ugly, and reflects badly on Snowheads if that's the top down attitude. I wouldn't be surprised it it put off more people than just @Bigrobski. Certainly makes me wonder about the mindset of someone who has the time and inclination to construct a detailed (if incorrect) flame response to a relative newcomers friendly request for some skiing buddies.

I would say you need to read back through as what you state above is not how the posts read to me?????

The second paragraph that you have composed is way off the mark too. Feel free to have a go at me now if you like Very Happy
snow report
Well it’s interesting how different people see things in different ways. @Dr John,

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 2-11-17 11:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Dr John,

I don't see it, even after going back and reading it many times.

So Admin can set up Snowheads for people to use free of charge but as soon as he offers something that costs people should put him down as though he's trying to sell them a kitchen or a timeshare? December Ski trip for a solo Skier - it was a perfect match until @Bigrobski came back later and qualified the dates. All he had to say was "sorry thanks but the dates don't work for me, I know I said december but I can't do that week" rather than "Not sure why the PSB would seem ideal given its taking place a week earlier than I am thinking about travelling".

Seems to be someone types something on the Internet, someone interprets it differently to how it was intended and then people take sides.

Incorrect? Flame response? Where? He didn't put him down, insult or patronise him.
Go ask a newbie question on TGR if you really want to see ugly.

Organising a group Ski trip is a lot of work and hassle (I used to run a Ski Group here in Vienna for a few years). People change their mind every 5 mins it's like trying to nail jelly to the wall. Sometimes you are left with the financial risk of empty places through no fault of your own so I've no quarms about Admin pluging the bashes esp. on a free Internet site he created. Haven't been on a snowheads bash but have skied with snowheads who go on a regular basis and rave about them.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-11-17 13:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I chimed in because i thought @Bigrobski, seemed a person very typically found on snowHead bashes, especially but not exclusively, the PSB.

I genuinely thought he'd had a great time given fair snow and conditions.

Everything i thought, matched the PSB well.

There isn't anything within the OP that disqualifies the PSB and thus the detail 'breakdown' response.

@Dr John,
Quote:

It's ugly, and reflects badly on Snowheads if that's the top down attitude

I'm sad and surprised that you have drawn such a strong conclusion about snowHeads from this. Actually, i'm shocked !
latest report
It would seem that notwithstanding the fact that Admin and I have not further engaged the very minor disagreement between us has taken on a life of its own. For my part I do not think my original email was poorly drafted or unclear so I do not accept any criticism in that respect. I do think that Admin in dissecting my post and commenting on each part in a sarcastic manner was acting in a passive aggressive manner. There was really no need for Admin to do that and I thought it was rather rude which is why I commented as such. As far as I am concerned that really should have been the end of it. This is a forum for people who enjoy snow sports to meet, organise, ask advice, etc. I have always found the forum to be most helpful and the people here to be nice, I am also grateful to Admin and those who run the forum for doing so.

For my part I have organised a lot of trips and they are often a thankless task. I have never profited from organising group trips but I imagine it can be lucrative.
snow conditions
@DB, i composed my post before i saw yours. You sum it up nicely for me to.

Quote:

Organising a group Ski trip is a lot of work and hassle (I used to run a Ski Group here in Vienna for a few years). People change their mind every 5 mins it's like trying to nail jelly to the wall. Sometimes you are left with the financial risk of empty places through no fault of your own so I've no quarms about Admin pluging the bashes esp. on a free Internet site he created. Haven't been on a snowheads bash but have skied with snowheads who go on a regular basis and rave about them.

Like you, i'm fine with admins 'soft~ish' promotion. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have this place nor some great holidays with lifetime memories.

Having just read the above post, i'm heading of in another direction for some fresh powder... it's all skied out here.
ski holidays
@Bigrobski, i am withdrawing my offer to meet or ski with you 16 to 23 December. I don't think we would get on.
snow conditions
Bigrobski wrote:
so I do not accept any criticism in that respect.

Sorry to burst your bubble but ....
Your first post and the thread title was not clear which weeks in December you could ski.
Quoting someone and responding bit by bit makes it clear not sarcastic or passive aggressive.
Organising trips for large groups from free Internet sites is not lucrative. With luck you might end up with a slight positive balance that in no way compensates for the hassle. The payback comes from bringing skiers together and meeting new friends. It's sad that you treated admin like some sort of door to door salesman and interpret his posts with such a negative tone while posting freely on a site he keeps up and running for the benefit of thousands of skiers/boarders.
ski holidays
@Bigrobski,
Quote:

This is a forum for people who enjoy snow sports to meet, organise, ask advice, etc. I have always found the forum to be most helpful and the people here to be nice, I am also grateful to Admin and those who run the forum for doing so.

Quite right and it still is. I hope you won't let this minor misunderstanding, blown out of proportion IMHO, deter you from participating in snowHeads in future.
I'm off to the 'Next Season is Going to be Much More Expensive' thread now for a rest. snowHead
latest report
Bigrobski wrote:
I have never profited from organising group trips but I imagine it can be lucrative.

Not at Snowheads prices. I think you'd be surprised how modest an income one could make from organising several hundred skier days in the mountains each season, But nice sideways dig.

Initially I thought the response was amusing, but then it is easy for me to read it with the voice and style of the person writing, which can be sarcastic and often far more light hearted than it was clearly received, and I've never seen any kind of aggressive, passive or otherwise. Now I feel like perhaps it is better you took it the way you did.
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
@Bigrobski, i am withdrawing my offer to meet or ski with you 16 to 23 December. I don't think we would get on.

That's fine, re fact that you thought it worth posting to formally and publicly withdraw you offer tells me you are right on your assessment...I don't think we would get on.

Regrettably it would seem that my post has ceased to serve its original purpose. This forum, and this post, was about hitting the slopes and instead its gone a bit dark. Shame as that undermines the very purpose of Snowheads. I can't imagine a newbie reading all this would want to join the site or risk posting for fear of drawing the ire of a vocal minority.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigrobski,

I think snowheads works great. I might be free to ski during that time and seeing as it's only ca. 4hours drive from here I really wouldn't mind meeting up *

PS I was in the minority when I challenged your reply.

* with speachmaus
snow report
Quote:
That's fine, re fact that you thought it worth posting to formally and publicly withdraw you offer tells me you are right on your assessment...I don't think we would get on.
I think that's probably your loss as she appears to be quite a popular ski-companion. I'd even go so far as to say that her being somewhere snowy even seems to draw more snowHeads toward that place.

But then some people 'just get it' don't they: speachmaus can do snowHeads standing on her head Wink
snow conditions
@admin, you are my hero
latest report
you can call me uiwpa Wink
snow report
Thanks for the support guys - with 3 of them on my back I was starting to wonder if I actually had gone wrong Confused

Bigrobski wrote:
I can't imagine a newbie reading all this would want to join the site or risk posting for fear of drawing the ire of a vocal minority.
Yes well you asked a question, received advice then 'a vocal minority' including yourself attacked one of the people offering that advice (as it turns out: not for the first time). So the real concern is noobies feeling uneasy about engaging with Solos Versus Groups for fear they end up stuck with someone touchy and aggressive as you yourself have come over. (Or perhaps this is why you always seem to be looking for someone new to ski with? Confused)

I'm reassured that so many have posted independently to share their perceptions of these events, which on the whole mirror my own.
@Dr John's 1st post was just a little sadly off-kilter although the 2nd was pretty nasty IMV. But @red 27's clearly served no other purpose than to attempt to rile me for some reason rolling eyes Meanwhile I stand accused of essentially trying to bully someone into coming on a holiday. What a ludicrous concept!
The degree of aggression/paranoia from these 3 seems so disproportionate to the context and out-of-whack with the general vibe that I wouldn't discount the idea of them having reinforced/validated each other's perspective via some form of off-site collusion but who knows?

Bigrobski, had your butt-hurt remained confined to an isolated post, it would have likely drifted away with little consequence but matey-boys piled in to escalate it Confused

DB's first post was pretty balanced IMO and offered you the 'easy get out' of accepting it was all a simple mis-understanding, you chose instead to re-cast your aspersions all the more firmly - confirming, quite clearly, that any aggression (passive or otherwise) was all coming from your side of the table.
Others on this topic, who previously offered to ski with you, seemed to come quickly to the same conclusion.

I simply offered something that matched what you asked for. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know you wanted to go on the 9th Dec as you hadn't said so at that point. I don't mind that. There's no rule in the rules that says "Everything has to be perfect in the OP: no 2nd drafts".

If we're really trying to find signs of passive aggression:
Quote:
Not sure why the PSB would seem ideal given its taking place a week earlier than I am thinking about travelling
Would certainly more usually have been expressed in the manner
Quote:
PSB looks great but I can't do that week
which would have seemed more polite or even a neutral response such as
Quote:
Looking to go the week after the PSB

Looking back, my post was simply justifying point-by-point why the PSB was indeed ideal according to the terms of the original request.
However, my opening "Well sorry!", meant purely as an humorous over-reaction, is indeed mildly sarcastic. But I certainly didn't expect it to cause offence since at that time I perceived no aggression in your post. However, imagining it being read by someone a little over-sensitive who had just been a bit arsey himself - yes, I can see him taking offence. So, sorry mate for the 'well sorry'. Well, sorry the well sorry upset you so badly.

@Dr John, in summary, you have most things wrong. I didn't "Try to flog a place on the PSB": it was simply offered as an appropriate solution to the OP. With the number coming already, I certainly don't need to flog places! Further @Bigrobski is far from "a relative newcomer" having been on snowHeads for almost as long as you have. Perhaps you mistook his relatively low post count for noobiness but this is just due to the fact that he mainly only uses snowHeads to organise groups to ski with - in which he has had no little success.
Now be clear, I don't mind that - far from it: it's one of the greatest roles that snowHeads plays and we even built the snowbuddy to aid in that endeavour - and no, I'm not trying to 'flog' you snowbuddy, it's free rolling eyes I suspect and hope everyone on this thread has had the pleasure of skiing with people they've met here.
So no, I don't mind him using snowHeads the way he does. Even that he has gained so much over the course of 7 years without feeling the need to chip in a sub at any point: this too is entirely permissible. But, it seems somewhat churlish, under these circumstances, to be so gratuitously arsey with the person who facilitates so much benefit at zero cost to himself. It certainly leaves me struggling not to resent him the benefits he draws.
Fair enough, the people that come to your party don't owe U anything, even when they don't bring a bottle - but U still don't expect them to shit in your bath tub Confused

Here is your homework on 'text based communications' Bigrobski.

http://youtube.com/v/naleynXS7yo
latest report
@admin, you became my hero when I skied behind you down from follie duce. You were skiing carrying a full pint down to the l'oxalys in slushy moguls and you complained you only spilt any when you turned left and you would have to work on your left turns. Still had 3/4 pint left in glass. I did have a pic but can't find now.
ski holidays
@DB, yep give me a shout if your around.
snow report
Admin - I see you had a dig about to find something to throw into the mix so you spent your time going through all my old posts to 'find' something that you think casts me in a bad light...it does not but still really? That is a bit sad...how much time did you spend to make your latest passive-aggressive point? Did you really trawl through 90 messages? Seriously?

Now I know you are clearly a special snowflake but I really am not after you, nobody as far as I can see is after you, I think you need to calm down. You realise all this started because I made an off the cuff comment and you jumped on it with a lengthy passive aggressive attack. I have on several occasions thanked you for your efforts and wished you well but you just cannot help yourself can you? If you are this sensitive then perhaps you should find another line of work!
snow report
Bigrobski wrote:
If you are this sensitive then perhaps you should find another line of work!

That must be the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever seen on this forum. What is your problem?
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
What is your problem?

Needing to be right? Not having a reverse gear? Missing the point?
Fascinating.
latest report
Anyone can look at your post history @Bigrobski: and I'd expect anyone considering joining one of your ski groups to do the same, as a form of due diligence. It is one of the benefits of forum community: when somebody seems a little unusual or out of sorts, it's easy to just have a quick scan through to see whether they're just having a moment or are habitually a lady's front bottom.
ski holidays
@Bigrobski, perhaps you could grow a thicker skin. Toofy Grin

Good luck with your quest for ski buddies. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy