Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to stop goggles slipping off helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Sunny days - Sunglasses. Oakley Wind jacket 2.0

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/goggles/snow-goggles/wind-jacket-2-0-prizm-snow-goggle/product/WGOO7072PZ/?skuCode=OO7072-02&categoryCode=&size=

when goggles are needed they stay on. If you push them up on the helmet then you are asking for them to fog later on IMO.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways wrote:
intermediate wrote:
Don't know if this true or myth,

Myth. Accident investigators said that it wasn't a factor and that rumour only got started after someone close to the family stated their own opinion publicly. Just don't attach them with 2" wood screws.

That's good/interesting to hear.

I can see the logic in what they're saying but in all likelihood it's one of those things that makes sense to the simple mind if you don't actually know about helmets in detail but where helmet experts can explain why it's not true.

The logic clearly is that having a shaped item on the exterior of the helmet could cause an impact to be focussed on a smaller area with a relatively 'sharp' object applying that pressure. I think the reality is that if this were true, then it would mean helmets could only be effective on flat terrain. But clearly any skiing-worthy helmet needs to be able to hit a sharp edge of a rock or a block of ice without causing guaranteed instant death as well. Most modern ski helmets use EPS liners which deliberately deform and fracture when punctured by a sharp object, sacrificing the helmet in order to protect the head. Thus realistically a GoPro mount is unlikely to do anything more than just cause a bit of extra surface damage to the helmet.

The H&S purists are often theoretically right about these things but just grossly out of touch with proportion. Like I said before, if you want to play it safe, start by not throwing yourself down the side of a giant block of ice, with your shoes bolted onto a pair of lubricated fibreglass planks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyrew wrote:
Quote:

on an innocuous bit of 'between the piste' terrain in Meribel.

There was nothing innocuous about that bit between the pistes in Meribel. I was there that day. Although, obviously, not on "that" particular deadly bit

Looks pretty innocuous (the actual terrain) to me! Obviously filled with rocks and I can't say I have any desire to ski it, but it's flat (check the background) and if you have any ability to read terrain it would be easy to plan turns to avoid any rocks (not turning would be even safer - it's normally hitting a rock when inclined in a turn that makes you fall over, straight on is much less of an issue).

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
With apols to @Awdbugga, for taking his OP a bit off piste but...
@clarky999, I'm wondering exactly where that is? It looks a bit different to where I thought the tragic accident occurred.
I imagine those rocks are not always so visible, when snow a bit deeper.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@intermediate, apparently under the Saulire lift in Meribel.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999, indeed, but looks a bit higher up the mountain than I remembered. Saulire gondola is a long lift.
I'm with you in that I wouldn't be tempted to drift off piste onto that bit of terrain. Risk v Enjoyment ratio unappealing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just use some silicone and put small dots on the inside of the band. This way you'll get some extra adhesion preventing them slipping backwards.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@intermediate, to the right of the rocks as we look at it is Mauduit, biche/chamois to the left
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just unfasten the helmet strap and push the whole helmet/goggle ensemble up a bit.

The wearing of helmets and sunglasses is allowed, but only for people who also think it's acceptable to read the Daily Mail.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mosha Marc,
Quote:

The wearing of helmets and sunglasses is allowed, but only for people who also think it's acceptable to read the Daily Mail.

Laughing
Do the permanent goggles brigade read The Sun, through their panda eyes?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@clarky999, I was there a few years ago and seem to remember that it looks even worse when there’s no snow. Seems an obvious thing to say, but it’s so bad that I would t even consider straying in that direction. It’s not steep but it’s so rocky that you’re virtually certain to hit a big rock if you fall.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dr John, thanks, that's where I thought it was after all. Looks different from aerial shot compared with how I remember it from ground level.
Anyway, I won't be skiing that bit, or wearing a camera on my helmet, anytime soon. I may launch down the Grand Couloire if conditions are OK but the Risk v Enjoyment ratio is worth it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

How do you carry your helmet / goggles when you’re wearing sunnies??

Just because no one really answered.
When I used to wear sunglasses for skiing I used to carry my goggles around my neck, over my jacket collar, with the goggles facing backwards. This was after breaking two pairs that were carried in pockets rolling eyes
These days I always wear goggles unless I'm skinning or sitting on a terrace
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999,

The thing that struck me about it was not the terrain per se but that he must have been travelling far too fast for it. He hit one rock then bounced off the next three - suggests a lot of momentum. But then he was used to travelling very fast. Poor bloke. Hell of a price for a moment of misjudgment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought a pair of Goggle Grips from Slide and Glide. http://www.gogglegrip.com/snow/

A bit expensive for two bits of plastic, but they work a treat and the 3m adhesive on the back sticks like doo doos to a blanket. They pull the goggles downwards so they don’t slip backwards, but are in line with the headband, so don’t effect normal use at all. Neat little devices.
snow report
@jedster, agreed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy