Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff, lake Louise , Sunshine

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week here, had a good time.

Snowed twice in the week, rest was mixture of blue skies or overcast.
One of the snow days was very windy almost cairngorm conditions, boarding into a swirl of spindrift isnt much fun!

Sunshines snow is holding up well, not too many scoured places although goats eye mountain is none too clever in the top part of the runs.
All the powder is tracked out and we wimped out on doing the dive.

Lake louise's snow making has kept it going. Some nice scoured bits in places but still good sliding to be had.

Favourite runs -
Sunshine - From the top of standish go off the drop off and through the powder to the continental divide express then pick your favourite route back to standish and repeat.

Louise - Sunset Gully to Gully and then the womans downhill all the way to the lodge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the report prog99,

We were in LL / Sunshine in Nov/ Dec 2004
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to say -

Stayed at "Rundle Manor". We had a huge room. Big kitchen, ski kit drying area, tv with multiple channels of commercials and a decent sized bathroom with reliable hot water. Located a brief strol lfrom the shops bars etc..

For very cheap ski/board kit try SportChek. They seemed to have some very good deals on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad you had a good time. How did the cost compare with Europe? Were the transfers OK?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Transfers were excellent, no scrum to get your stuff on the bus (driver carefully loaded it). Inghams rep rambled on a bit Smile Glorious views of the rockies and since the trans canada highway goes all the way there no 20km of switchbacks to negotiate!

Lift pass is expensive (all area pass was 225quid each).

On the slopes food & beer is cheaper and generally better quality than say france.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It was partly the lift pass price that put me off, along with the mention of fog. A long way to go only to get fogged in for 5 days. Maybe we'll make it out there next year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magriggs, Go next year, Sunshine and Lake Louise are great (as is Kicking Horse). Lift passes are a probably a bit more expensive than some European resorts but the beer is probably half the price!

prog99, Sunset Gully's a great run at Louise, but I have to say the back bowls were the winners for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainmammoth
Back bowls were ok but a bit choppy in places. Plus the drag lift seemed to put my lead leg to sleep when I went up it and the subsequent pain nearly caused me to throw up Sad (I'm a boarder)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
prog99, Hmm, I agree, the drag lift was a drag! If they put a chair in there it would be great.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The reason they won't put a chair lift up there is the reasoning that if you can handle the button you can handle what's at the top... if they put a chair lift in you'd get all sorts of incompetent idiots up the top!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That drag lift at Louise has been there for 5 years at least - it's really about time they put a chair up there, as there is a whole bowl that is only accessible by that lift. I was a little dissapointed in the lack of infrastructure development at LL
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you stay at the Sunshine Inn, the lift pass is free.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone stayed at the Sunshine Inn? Damn handy for fresh tracks, but perhaps cabin fever would set in after a while?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainmammoth, I'd say the best way is to book maybe 2/3 nights at the Inn and spend the rest of your holiday in Banff.

I think your comment about cabin fever is pretty spot on - there's only the hotel bar and one other bar open on the hill and food is served in only the fine dining restaurant at the inn (the eagle's nest) and pub-food in the hotel bar: though the prices are pretty reasonable and not hugely more than down in Banff. Splitting the holiday between the two will give you the chance to get fresh tracks, avoid the bus/gondola ride, and have a lift ticket included in the price of the accommodation whilst at the inn, then move down to banff for more lively bars, a bigger choice of restaurants, and easier access to Mt Norquay and Lake Louise.

More info on the inn on sunshine's website here: http://www.skibanff.com/accommodation/inn.html .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
britskier, Sounds like the way to go. I didn't know whether to feel sorry for the hotel guests or incredibly jealous when the Gondola broke at Sunshine a couple of weeks ago.
latest report
mountainmammoth, Incredibly jealous I think - all that powder just to themselves and they could always just ski down and get a ride back up if they needed to go to banff!
snow conditions
britskier, Apparently on the day it happened, there were only hotel guests and instructors on the mountain. One instructor told me it was incredible (I should say awesome, that's the word of choice!). Not all the lifts were working, presumably because the lifties were making the most of it too, but there were enough going to make the most of it.
ski holidays
hamilton,

LL is in the National Park, which severely limits development. Sticking a chair right to the top where the summit platter goes would probably be difficult to get permission for. (But being a very long and steep drag it does keep the boarders at bay Twisted Evil )

magriggs,

Go for more than 5 days! That's not long enough to make the trip worthwhile - you#ll only just have cleared your jet-lag and it'll be time to go home. Fog's really only a big problem at Sunshine, because so much of the terrain is above the treeline. On cloudy days, head for LL.
ski holidays
Alexandra, I'm with you, the back bowls are fantastic and all the better for the limited amount of people that go across because of the drag. On the rare occassion the LL gets busy the back bowls are the place to go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy