Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens vs Alpe d'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, trying to decide between two vacation options we're looking at for mid-March.

The deal is for me and my wife, our brand new baby girl who'll be 6 months old at the time, and my mother in law who's been to a couple ski vacations with us already.
The plan is to rotate a bit throughout the day (probably once around noon) so everyone gets a chance to ski without leaving baby alone. This means easy access is key.

We're looking at either Val Thorens at the Residence l'Oxalys OR Alpe d'Huez at the Alpenrose Hotel. Price is pretty much the same, with half-board options available (not mandatory) at both places.

In favor of VT: truly ski-in/ski-out, as opposed to ~300 m walk in ADH; staying in the main village so easy access to more restaurants, as opposed to staying in Bergers in ADH.
In favor of ADH: shorter transfer time from Grenoble airport, so a bit easier for baby; full ski pass included in deal as opposed to just the VT pass (not even Belleville) in the other deal.
Am I over/underestimating any of these issues?

As for the runs, I've yet to ski in either of these resorts so I don't know how the pistes compare. Wife and I are good intermediates and feel confident on all shades of red, while mother in law is a bit behind.
We like a sense of travel (though we'll have to touch base at noon), hate queuing (especially for huge cable cars which take forever to come) and slooooow chairlifts. In which resort will we be happier in this regard?
Each of us will have some days where they will only be able to ski in the afternoon. Where would you expect the snow to hold better at these hours?

Thanks for any input that would help us decide between the two options!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You sound like you want people to tell you that Val Thorens is a better option and it is.

If only for the snow in March then Val Thorens is the clear front runner, Alpe d’huez is way smaller in skiing terms and although they’ve got the height it depends if it’s all open because if it’s not then it can get a bit repetitive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chenav, Val T a clear winner skiing wise for me. My only concern would be about any effects of sleeping at high altitude, eg sleep disturbance.
I'd also suggest worth extending the pass beyond Val T, at least on some days. For confident intermediates, fairly easy to get to very interesting bits of 3V beyond Val T and still get back to base for lunchtime.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val T is skiable everywhere late into April so so no worries there. Maybe will soften up a bit in the Pm but if you find that's a major issue just rent some wider skis. Oxalys is very handy though the return does mean skiing down a fairly busy (&late in the day choppy) run from Plein Sud or walking a few yard from the gondola.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpe d'Huez: great variety of slopes, shitty lift system
Val Thorens: not bad lift systems, boring slopes

In a normal snow year (not that we've had one for a while) Alpe d'Huez is a clear winner but as you say, Bergers is a bit of the beaten track
Val Thorens + 3 Vallees would swing it if someone was offering me a free holiday. Otherwise ADH it would be.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do both options involve flying into Grenoble? Personally I'd try and avoid that, especially with a young baby.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the valuable input. Very helpful so far!

Quote:
Do both options involve flying into Grenoble? Personally I'd try and avoid that, especially with a young baby.

Yes. Why do you say that? I haven't been there myself. I actually saw it as an advantage, at least for Alpe d'Huez, in terms of transfer time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flew from Grenoble last April, it took us hours to leave on the way home, all the planes were sat waiting on the runway whilst everyone was inside queuing to go through passport control on the exit. Worst airport I’ve been in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val T (+ 3V’s) every day of the week!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having stayed in the Bergers area of AdH and Oxalys in VT I would certainly pick VT, with a pass extension to cover a larger area at least some of the time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not skied Val Thorens but I'd back up davidofs Alpe d'Huez support. I don't actually think the lift system is too bad. Most of the slow old lifts are in the outlying areas which are the nicest parts 😊 I've also stayed at Bergers a few times and lift access is great. A few restos are nearby and the main streets aren't too far.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you considered Tignes? Have only spent a weekend there but it's proper ski in ski out, some pistes pass between apartment blocks. Not the most attractive place but some decent accommodation and snow is guaranteed.

I wouldn't rush back, prefer smaller quirky ski resorts though but if you want lots of easy access skiing, Tignes would be hard to beat.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stephap wrote:
Flew from Grenoble last April, it took us hours to leave on the way home, all the planes were sat waiting on the runway whilst everyone was inside queuing to go through passport control on the exit. Worst airport I’ve been in.

This. Dreadful place. Little more than a glorified shed. Doesn't have the capacity to deal with the Saturday ski flights.
Plane lands. Walk across tarmac (in rain). Queue for passport control (in rain). Finally join scrum to get (soaking wet) bags. Try and find a toilet. Queue for toilet.
Similar issues on return flights.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't say I find Grenoble any worse than Chambery or Geneva. Avoiding Saturday if possible improves the airport and transfer experience. Lyon airport I find marginally less dysfunctional.
Don't recall any major problem travelling with babies. More challenging once they became mobile and wilful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@intermediate, OK I can understand Grenoble and Chambery being small airports that suddenly have loads of passengers at weekends in the winter but are largely empty the rest of the year,and hence can struggle when many flights suddenly land, but Geneva? Geneva and Lyon are about the same size and Geneva, if anything, has more flights.
snow report
@johnE, agreed, but more flights doesn't equal a better customer experience IMO. Snow package flight passengers often end up in temporary 'pop up' facilities, rather than having direct access to the usual airport lounges. Check in and baggage collection at Geneva, in particular, I've found awful many times. Walking distance to departure gates is often excessive.
About time a high standard airport was built near Albertville.
ski holidays
Some Googling around shows that "Grenoble can't cope during ski season" is a widely common complaint, with many accounts of queuing out in the cold for hours. Not going to take my chances, especially not with a baby... so, back to the drawing board. Thanks for everyone's help!
snow report
@chenav, if you can travel on Sunday it makes for a big improvement. Skiing your last day on a Saturday usually relatively quiet and enjoyable too.
ski holidays
Very irresponsible to drag a sealevel baby to high altitude at such a young and vulnerable age.

Go to somewhere low, such as Chamonix.
ski holidays
Quote:
@chenav, if you can travel on Sunday it makes for a big improvement. Skiing your last day on a Saturday usually relatively quiet and enjoyable too.

Not for a reasonable price, no... I can fly in and out on almost any weekday for very cheap, the problem is that practically all accommodations, let alone the good ones, are limited to Sat-Sat vacations. Maybe last minute you can find more flexible bookings, but not this far out. I'd be happy to hear if you know something else.
snow conditions
@intermediate, My big complaints about Geneva are the very, very slow immigration checks and that the depature area used for most easjet flights to the UK simply have too few seats for the number of customers so uou end up having to sit on the floor. Pity we never joined Shengen. A big mistake in my opinion.
ski holidays
@chenav, my recommendation is hold tight and book a package last minute or book a Eurotunnel crossing now and sort accommodation much later.

Mid March for 4 of you there will be plenty of choice and you'll have the benefit of assessing snow conditions.

We took Jnr C to Meribel for two weeks aged 6 weeks at Easter and had a great time. Enjoy your trip wherever you go Very Happy
snow conditions
@chenav, try and avoid Grenoble completely. It's no better on a Sunday. TBH I dread to imagine what it's like on a Saturday.

It really is queue to dump your luggage, join a queue to queue get through to get scanned. Get scanned. Join a queue to queue jump to get through passport control as they've just called for the final passengers.

I'll give you a clue - I'm doing Liverpool-Geneva next year
snow conditions
I do agree with pretty much everyone re VT preferable. At 2400m for baby, maybe that could be an issue, (Whitegold is not known for his charm on SHs but he could have a point) I don't know exactly-might be advisable to do a bit of research.

Been to AdH once. Not a fan. Village a sprawl and a bit scruffy. Not such a good lift system (though that trip was 9 years ago). Mid March in VT should be great. No school hols ( am assuming you mean you are going after 10th March), warmer weather, and the snow should be perfect. The lifts there are good, and have been constantly upgraded. I doubt very much if you will have to queue much or at all. If you are confined to the VT area, I think there's plenty to keep you entertained and all runs come back to the middle of the village really easily. Don't miss out on going over to the Orelle side, which is now even more accessible and spectacular. If you want to explore further one day, then you could get a pass extension - perhaps for the whole Belleville valley- a ski down to St Martin is easy and really lovely.
Echo comments about Grenoble airport too...though maybe with baby you could get to the front of the queue.
ski holidays
@chenav,
Quote:

I can fly in and out on almost any weekday for very cheap

There are Friday to Friday accommodation options, if you're prepared to book flights, accommodation and transfers separately. Booking a reasonably priced room for an extra night on Friday, before linking in to an accommodation package Sat to Sat is also possible. Savings on Friday flights, compared with weekends, usually significant.

As for late package bookings, I'm usually a great fan and have done it to advantage many times. However...depends when you're going and what the supply/demand balance is like that week.
Also, having a young baby tended to make me more risk averse and wanting to secure somewhere that suited our needs well in advance.

Regarding venue, have you checked Les Menuires options and availability? Lots of self catering accommodation. Tends to be more reasonably priced than Val T. Lower altitude but with fast lift access to Val T and also lots more interesting 3V skiing, eg La Masse, Meribel, Mottaret.
ski holidays
@intermediate,

Thanks for the suggestion on Les Menuires. I like it a lot actually, the pistes look nice, good connections to the rest of 3V, and I do appreciate the lower altitude for baby.

Best of all I was able to find good accommodation at a good price on weekdays, but only for second half of March, specifically 19-26. Generally speaking would we still be happy skiers at this period? I also have an option for March 8-15, but at a premium of ~250 euro per person... also, the place is not proper at the center of Les Menuries but at Les Bruyères. Would that be a problem in terms of going out for dinner on some nights?

Good news is that the accommodation has free cancellation up to 30 days ahead, so if the winter turns out to be really bad we can cancel and try to find a better location - although we're not guaranteed to find one...
ski holidays
chenav wrote:
Some Googling around shows that "Grenoble can't cope during ski season" is a widely common complaint, with many accounts of queuing out in the cold for hours. Not going to take my chances, especially not with a baby... so, back to the drawing board. Thanks for everyone's help!

Last time I flew into Grenoble a lot of people discovered that their suitcases and holdalls weren't waterproof. Not an ideal start to a ski holiday. We're pleased to be flying into Lyon this year, in spite of the longer transfer.
snow report
Have you considered Austria? Accommodation near sea level then generally a big lift up to the ski area. In some resorts I've seen buggies taken up in the lifts and there's been baby changing facilities up there. Same applied in Folgarida in Italy. You then see parents and grandparents sitting drinking coffee whilst looking after the little one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chenav, there's a free bus around the Les Menuires area so I don't think getting around for dinner occasionally would be a problem. Usually, the 3rd week of March (19-26) is relatively quiet, unless it involves Easter, which it doesn't in 2018. I don't think you'd have much problem getting a late booking alternative, for 4 people, if it came to that. In any case, the snow quantity and conditions would have to be unusually dire for you to have to cancel Les Menuires.

A couple of points. First, Les M has quite a few south facing slopes, so can be slushy on sunny afternoons. However, you'd be very close to reliably good snow in Val T and on La Masse, for example.
Secondly, Les M wins few prizes for alpine charm or architectural beauty. As long as you're comfortable with those points, I think it would suit fine.
BTW, there's a particularly good hotel restaurant in Les M called L'Ours Blanc.
latest report
@chenav, I went to Les Menuires the last week in March many years ago and as I was looking for a new pair of skis went into a shop and tried to negotiate a discount by saying it was near the end of the season. The shop owner said "It may be for you sir but we have over a month to go" I didn't ge the discount or buy the skis. It snowed rather a lot that week and I did discover just how far a lost ski will go under powder snow (about 15m).

The last time I was in the Belleville valley was late April in st Martin. The snow in Les Menuires was still very good, but a tad heavy returning to St. Martin.

If it was me I would go for 19-26 in Les Menuires and spend the money saved on a 3V lift pass. I also think that Les Menuires is more central to the rest of the 3V than Val Thorens.

And remember the factor 50.
snow report
I worked a season in Reberty just above Bruyeres in 05/06 and we've been going back to the Belleville valley regularly ever since, though base ourselves down in St Martin.
Plenty enough eating out options in Bruyeres and good lifts. 10 min walk into Les Menuires should you get the urge, plus a regular bus. As others have said, there are more south facing slopes that can be a bit mushy on a warm afternoon-esp coming down into Bruyeres on the Boyes piste. You won't be short of snow though.
Bottom line- for a nicer last run back at the end of the day which will be less chopped up, VT wins, but otherwise not a lot to chose between them.
snow report
You guys are brilliant. Booked an apartment at the Chalet du Mont Vallon for third week of March, flying in and out of Geneva. If the snow gods fail us we will cancel and look for another resort... Thank you all for the help and suggestions!

Has anyone stayed at the Vallon and can comment on the apartments? We booked a "One-Bedroom Valley Apartment (4 Persons)". Mother in law is cool with staying in the alcove/living room.
snow conditions
Have not stayed in those apartments, but the Mont Vallon pistes are some of the best in the 3V
latest report
@chenav, never stayed in those apartments, but the review site comments look very positive. The piste back to there from Val T is a nice long easy cruise down the river valley (Blvd Cumin?). A relax and admire the scenery run.
Quote:

the Mont Vallon pistes are some of the best in the 3V

Last time I was there, season before last, the Mont Vallon runs were largely unpisted, mogully and on the tricky side of challenging I thought. Very good to complete though. La Masse has some great runs, sensational views from the top and is often quieter than other areas, as it doesn't lead anywhere.
If your mother in law could be persuaded (bribed?) to have a 'relaxing' full day looking after her grandchild, a trip across to Courchevel for you two confident intermediates highly recommended.
1850 in particular has many north facing slopes, where snow conditions hold up well. One of my favourite red runs is the 3km Combe de la Saluire.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Have not stayed in those apartments, but the Mont Vallon pistes are some of the best in the 3V

Although they are above Meribel Mottaret rather than Les Manures, so the name of this block of flats is rather misleading.
latest report
@red 27, yes took me a while to find them on the map since it's really nowhere near the aparthotel or even Les Menuires...

@intermediate, I really appreciate your tips throughout this thread. Wish you many powder days this season. I'm already stoked for this vacation, really happy with the package we managed to build. Now let's just hope the weather also cooperates.
snow report
Quote:

Last time I was there, season before last, the Mont Vallon runs were largely unpisted, mogully and on the tricky side of challenging I thought.

Hence good. They are also quite long
snow conditions
Another question if I may. Perhaps the only bad thing people are writing about the aparthotel we chose is the rubbish WiFi. So I'd like to buy prepaid SIM cards, at least for some of our group. They will also be used to communicate throughout the day while we're split into skiing and babysitting. Two questions: which network is likely to give us the best coverage while on the mountain, and where can we buy their prepaid SIM cards? We'll be driving from Geneva and can stop at large supermarkets/gas stations etc. I saw on the map there are WiFi spots on some of the lift stations, but I'd rather not let that dictate our route when out skiing.
snow conditions
@chenav, There is a machine that sells Free SIM cards in the Carrefour supermarket in Moutiers.

EDIT: Check the cost of your existing SIMs now that roaming charges have been abolished.
latest report
Your phones should work fine without needing a different sim now that roaming charges have been stopped (assuming you have uk contracts).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy