Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer Grenoble to Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Was just looking for best way to get from Grenoble airport to Meribel Village on a Sat..Ben's Bus has qouted £75.00 each - but that only takes us to Moutiers AND the tripadvisor reports aren't great about the company..so looking for alternatives. We are 4 and would rent a car - but another two may join us - and at that point car costs start to rise. As we may well need a car to take the additional 2 to/from lessons then am considering car for 4 and then final 2 get transfers - unless anyone knows of a car hire company that rents cheap six seaters!

Thanks for all help..
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jonnyboy9, For some unknown reason, car hire costs seem to rise exponentially with the size of a vehicle. You will probably be best off getting two small cars rather than one large one. Cost wise, I doubt two small cars will be much more than one medium car and two transfers. Gives you much more flexibility and freedom too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Problem is I'm with Under 25s and two women my age(50s), who are genuinely scared about driving abroad.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jonnyboy9, Tripadvisor gives them 4.5 out of 5, given that things go wrong in the mountains that's pretty good, which is my impression after using them. Not sure why they don't go to Meribel from GNB though, they do from GVA.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it gets to 6, why not a private transfer- you'd get door to door each way for 600E. Once in Meribel, why would you need a car for anything? Free bus from Village to Chaudanne, about 10 mins every 20 mins. Ish! By midweek, the lesson crowd could ski down to Chaudanne.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheaper option, but involving faffing around, is if 2 get train from Grenoble to Moutiers and back. Only about 40 euros full price return each. Depends whether saving is worth the extra time and driving to give lifts for the 2 rail passengers from airport to rail station and Meribel to Moutiers. Unless you have free car parking sorted in resort, you need to factor in that cost, which for 2 vehicles, could be significant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not just get a bigger car. Looking on Holiday Autos for the week of the 3rd Feb (no idea when you're going but I assume not half term) shows around £200 for a half decent 4 seater for 8 days and 7 seater people carriers from £370. So around £50 each for the four of you or a bit over £60 each if there's 6. To me it looks like a simple decision.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone.. Am being quoted £310 for an "Intermediate 7 seater" which is probably one of the smaller MPVs that has 2 additional seats in the back for children that when used, allow no luggage space. I would have six people, all adult sizes even if teenagers - with 5 suitcases and 6 carry ons and 4 handbags. Granted, we would only need one of the rear seats - but that still uses half the luggage space. A "Full size MPV" is £840 !!! The handbags may have to go...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A general comment about Ben's Bus: we've used them twice and they were fine both times. Only fine, but acceptable for the cost.

The first time (Grenoble to Alpe d'Huez) we missed our bus due to a delayed flight, but they gave us the last 2 remaining seats on the next bus at no cost. If those seats hadn't been spare though, we'd have been looking at paying for a taxi. No issues returning from resort to airport at the end of the week.

The second time (Geneva to La Plagne) the buses were all running late due to traffic, and they were a bit disorganised - they forgot to call our names when our bus was leaving and we VERY nearly missed it - only caught it as I happened to ask for a progress update. Again, no issues at the end of the week.

However for you, as they only go to Moutiers, it doesn't sound worth the hassle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd rent one car now - then you have it for the lessons shuttles as well as the transfer. Then sort out the additional two passengers as and when the issue arises. If they aren't capable of renting a car they'll have to pay for a transfer - if I was in a group which included people "scared of driving abroad" I'd be miffed if their weakness pushed my costs up. (People as young as 50 shouldn't let themselves start being scared of doing stuff - what'll they do when they're 70? Twisted Evil )

And if the amount of clart they're all taking pushes up costs, get them to take less.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"if I was in a group which included people "scared of driving abroad" I'd be miffed if their weakness pushed my costs up. "

Pam - I know, I know...One of the ladies is my sister and the other is my partner. Getting annoyed is NOT an option... Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope that if they're going to be so awfully girly about driving they'll do all the cooking and housework when you get there. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd go for the 7 seater and tell everyone it's one suitcase between 2. It's a ski holiday so all you really need is your skiwear (and you can wear your ski jackets on the flight) and a couple of sets of casual wear. Carry ons and handbags can go on peoples laps if they insist on taking them.

PS. 'Clart' must have changed it's meaning since I used to hear it. Modern slang must mean something different.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@olderscot,
Quote:

I'd go for the 7 seater and tell everyone it's one suitcase between 2.
Hmmm. I can't see that going down well, especially with the womenfolk. It's a holiday, not an endurance event with added hardship thrown in. People like to take what they want to take and not have those sort of edicts thrust upon them. If you really need to, get a roof rack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm now seeing a Mercedes Vito 9 seater with Europcar for £580 which isn't too bad and would solve your problem. It might be worth calling them and seeing what kind of a deal you can negotiate.

Of course the real problem is the 2 who might or might not join you. Although I'm pretty sure most of the car hire companies let you cancel without charge 24 hours before the booking starts.

The Ben's Bus option might be your best best. Book a decent car for the 4 of you and the other two can get to Moutiers on Ben's Bus. The drive down to Moutiers usually isn't too bad and if you're going self catering you might well do that for a supermarket shop anyway.
snow conditions
Well funnily enough, I think the flight prices have settled the argument. Easyjet are offering insanely cheap £44 flights to Geneva for the additional 2. They use Ben's Bus for transfer - which from Geneva, takes you to Meribel Village rather than Moutiers...looks best option to me. Funny thing is the transfer costs more than the flight!

Thanks to everyone for a brilliant response with loads of ideas - you guys are the best. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Funny thing is the transfer costs more than the flight!

That's normal
snow report
Absolutely normal. Take longer, too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy