Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skijoring with my dog- resort recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
We are hoping to get to France for a week end of Jan. We will be taking our dog with us (hence the reason for sticking to France as we will be driving). Over the last year we have embraced XC as I would love to go skijoring with the dog- training is going well on roller skis so far.... What I am currently struggling with is to find a resort in France that allows dogs on the trails. I have emailed a few of the tourist offices and the response is generally negative.
Does anyone have any experience of skiing with their dog in France, who might be able to provide me with some advice?
We are off to Norway for 3 weeks later in the year, where skiing on trails with the dog is much more widely accepted Smile

Sarah
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried dedicated Ski de fond areas rather than resorts?
Naves http://www.naves-savoie.com/ might be worth a try as this is a bit more rugged than most.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rosieposie wrote:
going well on roller skis so far

Clever dog!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rosieposie, you can do this with horses in Serre Chevalier, can't say I've seen them, but it may be in an area well away from others. https://www.ranchdugrandaigle.com/ski-joering/ . There are pedestrian trails along side the xcountry tracks, and I know @Weathercam has taken his dogs there on xc skis. They're small Jack Russells though. Something I have wondered about with ours.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Since the alpine skiing ended in Drouzin Le Mont there has been both horse ski-joring, and a guy with huskies and a sled - normally in Feb holidays.
The horse guy goes up and down the old green-piste, but the huskies go up into the woods.
The pistes now are for people who skin up, or who hike up with a snowboard, or kids sledging on the old blue piste ( the lifts were taken down and used on the plateau at St Jean D'Aulps Station)
The X-C trails are used by who ever: snow-shoers, randoers, huskies, the odd skidoo, people just walking the dog.
Hunting officially ends in Jan, so you would be fine doing it any time from then until April.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great guys, thanks for all your comments. I will check out those suggestions. If I find out useful info will post back here. Drouzin Le mont sounds intriguing, and also easy to combine with some DH in the PDS Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Saisies, which has one of the biggest (and best = high altitude wink) XC areas in France definitely prohibits dogs,walkers, snowshoers and every other kind of rag, tag and bobtail from the prepared XC trails.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does depend when you go.

High season in Serre and the XC pistes are controlled and I've been told that dogs are forbidden but for three weeks before did not see anyone or be told to clear off.

There are usually pistes for walkers running alongside so I often go on those instead - and first thing in the morning they have been pisted over night for the walkers / snowshoes and they're great and in quiet season & will not get too beaten up - though I always wonder why you see a group of people on snowshoes on them when it's been pisted ?!

In another valley (Val Claree) there is around 10km of XC piste that you can take dogs on.

Last two seasons snow has been dire in the valley so I think I've only been out once on XC - we have the British Army all of Jan and their championships have been limited, though XC trails were opened up for them up on the Lautaret.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy