Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December 16-23 2017 arrive Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@biatwc, you should be able to get a catered chalet for much less than €725 pp the week before Christmas, plus young children should be cheaper. Try putting your requirements in on Chalets Direct.
https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/solution-wizard.asp?fid=1&action=writenew&displaytype=flat

But it's still 6 weeks away and anything can happen so worth waiting...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-11-17 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
“Gotta have snow”

Um. Sadly not.

Not sure where the consistent snow fall forecast for the next few weeks is coming from either Puzzled
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@biatwc,

It's a fair point that it might be worth waiting. If the snow fall is really really rubbish at the start of the season then maybe head to Tignes as Tignes is high. I can recommend the Tignes chalet company.

However your OP was "Not experienced skiiers at all, as long as there's some beginners/green/blues that's fine, if its got stuff for kids, lessons even, the place has a pool/spa stuff all that would be great. "

That's why I recommended Avoriaz, together with the short transfer, altitude at 1800m to make snow, aquariaz fun pool, ice rink, carousel etc etc.

For me if you are going to leave it late then leave it until the 9th Dec then start sorting ski hire, accom, transfers, ski lessons and maybe advance purchase of ski passes so you have it all sorted in advance and can concentrate on having a fab holiday with the kids when your out in the alps.

@under a new name,

I solemnly swear to 'eat my hat' if there is not enough snow for "some beginners/green/blues" in Avoriaz 16th December

(It's a Flat cap). Toofy Grin
rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@@247snowman, I refer m’learned gentleman to my early post, to wit,

“That week you will have absolutely no problem finding good accommodation in places you'd want to stay.
Somewhere like Avoriaz (which plans to open on the 15th) would be ideal.”

I rest my case.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@@247snowman, thanks so much! Amazing amount of information and insights. And thanks to everyone else for your opinions and ideas.

@bar shaker, I suppose in hindsight I would have looked at airports nearer to high resorts, as 2+ hours transfer time seems too much in terms of cost and simply being able to make the return flight.

Here's another question though, do children around 4 &6 years old suffer at all with the altitude when above 2km? I guess not when lower but not sure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@biatwc, what airports closer to higher resorts? (That have regular, frequent, reliable flights).

If not looking at Italy or Austria, Geneva best default option - so... cool.

Why would children have any particular problems? I haven’t seen that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your kids will not have any big problems with altitude.
Like grown ups, make sure they are well hydrated, wear suncream, sunglasses etc when in the mountains.

I have heard that very young babies should not ride gondola's (i'd have to ask some of my nanny mates what the score/age is on this one but i'm sure it's only a guide for teeny weeny one's and it's to do with delicate ear drums).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there is good snow in December, look at some of the second tier resorts close to Geneva. Praz de Lys is good for beginners, compact and will be substantially cheaper for accommodation, ski pass etc than the larger resorts. You are close enough to Les Gets/ Morzine if you want to stretch your wings for a day.

+1 on the 4 and 6 year olds only wanting to be in the snow for an hour or two each day. They can't resist making snowballs and the hands get cold. If you can get a button lift and a toboggan close to your accommodation this might be the best option.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't book anything until the Thursday or, if you have the stomach for it, the Friday afternoon.

Then phone the chalet companies, you'll be able to pick the snowiest resort and will be able to get a great catered deal with the singing ginger included. They'll probably sort out your transfer issue too.

I've done this a few times. The cheapest being a 2012 trip I booked on the Friday night when I was steamboats at the office Christmas lunch. £199 to Morzine for the week including coach transport from Victoria, food and the worst wine I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would look at this thread if I were you:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133919

Free=Cheap !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you've gone and booked Avoriaz, I've some bad news.
The resort, in their wisdom has decided to fritter away what little snow cover there is.
They will be opening on Dec 2 & 3, so us locals can use up the snow.
So there'll definitely be none left when you come.
Sorry about that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No haven't booked anything yet.
I suppose it may snow between now and when we leave, so no need to be sorry - let's try and be positive.
I appreciate your sympathy all the same.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy