Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out this coming Saturday to Meribel Mottaret. What are the snow conditions like? What is the Grand Couloir looking like (especially the access ridge?).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Loads and loads of snow last week. There are a few places where it's getting a bit icy, and lower down it's geting a little slushy, but that's as you would expect this time of year. Overall glorious.

The Grand Couloir scares me just looking at it but there were plenty of people going down it, with varying degrees of success.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rhoobarb, the one that made my stomach turn upon looking down it earlier this season was the GoPro Couloir Meribel.

I'm not good with heights, to the point that I wasn't even able to go to the edge of the viewing platform they have at the top! I start getting the sweats in the bubble that goes right over it if I have my back facing the mountain.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks folks. can't wait. And hopefully the sun will stay out all next week (with snow fall overnight of course - if only!).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ridge to the Grand Couloir can be a bit nervey but the run itself is fine. Should be great with the bit of light snow forecast on the weekend. The top of the Meribel Couloir is certainly another level.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will be in St Martin from 24th. If there are any Snowheads around it would be good to meet for a beer
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@vaughan, we will be there over the weekend from late Friday night till Monday. I am sure we will end up in the Pourquoi Pas bar at least one night over the weekend, or just and end of ski day beer at the Dahlia. PM me with your plans.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought the usually slightly less challenging couloir look quite mogully from below.
Light snow tonight should freshen up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, Which one is the meribel couloir? Is it the descent to the left of the GC ridge?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CharlieL wrote:
@Layne, Which one is the meribel couloir? Is it the descent to the left of the GC ridge?

Essentially yes. It's called Couloir Tournier. If you go up Saulire Express 2 from Meribel you will see the entrance to your left facing the mountian just before the arrival point. There is a big GoPro sign and paraphenalia. It's right next to that arrival station. If coming from the Courcheval just walk straight ahead. It's steep and rocky at the top. I've never done it. I'm sure I could but I am getting a bit old for that sort of s__t now. Like many of these runs once you are over that initial section it opens up reasonably well. As I say this is based on viewing from the lift not skiing it. On the Courcheval side there are of course the other couloirs, which are probably more attractive propositions if you have done GC.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, more commonly known as the Couloir Tournier but also known as the Couloir Tremplin or Springboard Gully:

http://www.dimple1.demon.co.uk/skiing/saulire.html

http://youtube.com/v/eIfuVd6WVOM

@offpisteskiing led me down there before it was made a ‘piste’ - “steady rate, steady rhythm”.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
Yep, more commonly known as the Couloir Tournier but also known as the Couloir Tremplin or Springboard Gully

But for this year renamed "GoPro Couloir"!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow and weather conditions yesterday were wonderful. Partial sun, mostly good visibility, enough light cloud to prevent sun from softening snow.

Daytime temps about -10 to -1c between Courchevel and La Masse areas. Didn’t get to Val T but heard over in 4th valley it snowed a little middle of day.

This morning looks like a bluebird day from my view of La Tania. Forecast still showing mix of sun and cloud, probably no new snow today. May get a little sugary later on down in lower bits of St Martin and Meribel but looking like the best day of the week in prospect
snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Grand Couloir was in great condition yesterday, when we skied it. Perfect snow - soft bumps all the way.

The access ridge was as good as it gets. Nice, soft grippy snow top to bottom. I straight lined the end bit and made use of the uphill, "runaway truck ramp" to stop, which was exciting! Very Happy

Both Mrs B and I agreed that it's one of the best steep runs we've ever done. It's exciting to access, due to the exposure, and (despite being close to the cable car) has a nice, away from it all feel.

We then did the Go Pro Couloir. It felt (to me) more exposed than the Grand Couloir - although the info board at the top confirmed it was no steeper. However, the snow on that run was more sun-affected, so it was definitely a bit more challenging than the Grand Couloir.

Nevertheless, 2 great runs! Very Happy Very Happy

Snow conditions are fantastic throughout the area at the moment. As good as we can ever remember for mid March. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually I didn't they'd created the zig zag entrance into the Couloir Tournier. I thought you had to drop in directly next to the lift. Doesn't look much different to the Tunnel in ADH in some ways.
snow report
Good morning everyone, would anyone know how I can get from either Grenoble airport from 9.30pm or Geneva from 8pm to Val Thorens this Monday 26th?

There are no trains or busses and I can't afford a solo private transfer Sad

I'm traveling with no luggage if that helps Smile

Cheers
snow conditions
Wonderful snow and bluebird skies across 3V yesterday. Especially good we found over Val T and towards Orwell’s.

Quite crowded and the restaurant at the chairlift hub in 4th valley was completely mobbed.

Looking like more if same today with just a little cloud cover. Should stop sun from affecting snow conditions lower down. With temps between+2 and -5, should be perfect.

Ridge to Couchevel couloirs in one pic and bit of a whale mouth forming below Saulire top station on next one. Last one a view from Orelle side over Maurienne Valley. snowHead

ski holidays
keep the info coming, my first trip to 3V for many a year over Easter!
snow report
weather seems changeable for Easter week at the moment, yesterday it was a meter of snow, freezing levels high, today it's looking more sensible.

Hoping for snow overnight, warm days Wink

If anyone is out on the 2nd, there's a first tracks down Saulire with Alexis Pinturault (and a few others), it sounds like you won't get chance to ski down with them at the time, they'll come down afterwards, which is a shame, I'd love to see if I Pinturault could keep up with me Wink

Quote:
on 04/02/2018
LE SAULIRE FIRST TRACK WITH OUR RESORT CHAMPIONS
Courchevel
A breeding ground for champions, Courchevel invites you to a morning of sport alongside some of our athletes who took part in the Olympics.

Picture this… the sun h just come up, freshly groomed runs roll out before you as far as the eye can see… the only noise you can hear is the sound of your skis beneath your feet as they glide over the snow… Making the first tracks of the day on the legendary Saulire is magical enough, but being joined by Courchevel's champions makes the experience totally unforgettable!
So, are you ready to ski with Alexis Pinturault, Léa Lemare, Anne-Sophie Barthet, Taïna Barioz, Lucile Morat and Jonathan Learoyd?

On the programme:
7.15am-7.45am: Take the Verdons G1 gondola lift up
7.50am: Last journey up in the Saulire cable car
8am-8.15am: Guests ski down la Saulire
8.15am: Champions, ski instructors and Sports Club members ski down la Saulire
Between 8.15am and 9am: Breakfast at Les Verdons halfway station (hot drinks and pastries).

Important info for non skiers! Pedestrians can take Les Verdons gondola lift between 7am-8.30am up to the top of Les Verdons to watch the champions, ski instructors and Sports Club members make their descent… and you’ll still have time to have breakfast with them too!

In the event of bad weather: the First Track will be replaced by a parallel slalom on the snow front at La Croisette, from 7.30am to 8.30am, with breakfast in the atrium of Le Forum

http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/le-saulire-first-track-with-our-resort-champions-n163-ev1171.html
latest report
Late notice question, but I'm in Les Menuires for a week from tomorrow. Anybody got any suggested "circuits"? We're all competent skiers and reasonable off piste (Chamonix/Argentiere is our usual hunting ground).

Put another way - if you were in Les M and had some friends who'd not skied the 3V for 20 yrs and were decent skiers, where would you take them?

Thanks in anticipation
Dave

PS if anybody else is out at the same time, please shout
latest report
@PeakyB, nice update. what time of day do you recommend the GC and Meribel/Go Pro couloirs -- I assume Meribel/Go Pro is iced up more early?
latest report
@snowdave,

This is worth a read.

http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/sguide.htm
latest report
@CharlieL,

You are right that the Meribel side can be icy first thing, especially if it is sunny the previous afternoon (which may not be a problem next week) so normally left to late morning/ lunchtime.
snow report
Does anyone have any updates on the weather for Easter week? We arrive in Courchevel 1550 on Saturday 31st and looking at the wiggly lines on page one of this thread, it seems to be warming up with precipitation. Is it going to rain all week??

Just to add that i know nothing about reading these charts so am very happy to be told I've got it wrong!
latest report
@breeze11, it's a bit too far out to be calling the 31st weather forecast, give it a week then check the Weather Outlook thread Smile

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3213125#3213125

oh and shameless plug for my website where I tried to consolidate various sites/info

https://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=la+tania

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 23-03-18 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@breeze11, not really any point trying to look that far ahead... more than 3 or 4 days is generally a waste of time other than gleaning a vague idea of what might be the general trend.
It will be what it will be, we have stacks of snow so one thing is for sure that wont be lacking...
latest report
@simo1234, thanks for that, it’s very useful.
snow report
Coming out tomorrow - will be staying near Méribel centre (on the Doron piste I think).

Any advice on current conditions and where is good to head for, and when? (and anywhere to avoid?) We're generally confident intermediate-plus skiers. Also one boarder who likes to find interesting things to do off the side of pistes and among trees - any good plans for keeping him happy gratefully received!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick family ski today, conditions are still fantastic everywhere, and generally pretty quiet on the pistes we were on. The full version of Jean Blanc is still in great nick and the ski down to Bozel was great spring snow mid-afternoon, barring one 2m section of grass...

ski holidays
Just came back from a week in Meribel/3 valles. The last few days (Wed-thu-Fri) have had the absolute worst snow conditions i've ever encountered! It was pure sheet ice with some moguls on top everywhere! Courchevel, val thorens, all the same... There were only 2 days with ok snow(still bad but ok), it was Monday and Tuesday... And today, i saw some huuuge "bald" patches on the mountain between mottaret and meribel. What can I say...avoid if you can, the season has ended it seems?
ski holidays
Atissa wrote:
Just came back from a week in Meribel/3 valles. The last few days (Wed-thu-Fri) have had the absolute worst snow conditions i've ever encountered!...

Really?

Atissa wrote:
...What can I say...avoid if you can, the season has ended it seems?

Again, really?

Your report seems to be at odds to all others. Confused
latest report
I can't believe what I'm reading.

Mrs B & I are staying in Val Thorens but today skied to Meribel (Mont Vallon), Mottaret, St Martin & Courchevel 1850.

We are now reflecting on a gloriously sunny (& very quiet - place to ourselves) day on which we skied consistently great snow conditions. Very Happy Very Happy

"The season has ended!" Shocked .Strange, then, that we can't wait to get another 2 trips in (for 4 more weeks skiing) after this.

Bare patches? We've never seen as much snow! Very Happy Very Happy

At this rate we will be ski touring in June! wink
ski holidays
Yeah! I wish it wasn't true! I dunno where others went or what they did, but in those days I went riding at Mont Vallon in Meribel, as well as Saulire in courchevel, and the "col" in VT (among other pistes), it was all the same Puzzled Was so horrid.
Also a lot of skiers zoomed acrossed the ice with no problem somehow, I guess if you are a skier the ice is not an issue? And mogul fields is a ski thing too I've heard.
Anyway, I feel very objective about snow conditions, because i've seen/done both in the past, the grey ice hell and the powdery on a cloud heaven.
snow report
@Atissa, I am gobsmacked. Objectively these are some of the best late March ski conditions I have ever experienced. In fact, I’d go as fas to say it doesn’t even feel like the end of the season is anywhere near close.
We had an epic day yesterday. I can’t think of one bad run. In total, including lifts, we did 80 miles (Mr P keen to beat the 77 miles we did a couple of weeks ago). It doesn’t feel anywhere close to the end of the season. No bare patches at all. A couple of mushy bits, but minimal. The pistes were firm but grippy. I did see ice, but can’t say I ever felt I skied it.

Highlights? Pretty much everything, Allemands towards Les Men, Mouflon down into Mottaret, Creux, all of 1650, Saulire all the way to 1550, back up and down to Le Praz, 2 circuits of Jockeys, Folyeres down into La Tania (empty and glorious), back up to Saulire and down the black to Mottaret (groomed and superb), even Aigle was passable by normal standards.
Think VT and Orelle are the destination for today. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Perty, I think it must be a wind up from @Atissa,
latest report
Could it be that you are just expert skiers, so you go almost straigt down and don't notice the ice? I think it's very different if you have 20 years or just 4 of experience.

At the end, on Friday, i was so tired of ice I was happy to encounter 300 meters of slushy "crystals" down ar meribel center. At least in slush you have some grip...
But yeah, I've learned that amount of snow does not equal quality!

Sure, at the station the roofs and other flat surfaces have at least a meter of snow, but what's the point? If the pistes are ice and off-piste has an icy crust :0

The bold patch is between Mottaret and Meribel center, you can easily see it from Mottaret if you go a little bit above the village on that green run(or in the area) and look at the opposite side of the mountain towards Courchevel. It's there.
latest report
Just back from an epic week in Les Ménuires and 3 vallies. Fantastic weather, fantastic piste conditions and fantastic snow conditions. Some of the best we have ever had.
Bald patches 😳😂, worst conditions ever? 😁🤪 it’s not April the 1st yet😂
snow report
Are people always so defensive on this forum? O_o I saw what I saw, I wish i could take you there in person and show you the ice and the patches..... Why are you trying to make me feel bad for it? I don't understand.

Also that awful sound of ski/board scraping over the ice... Are you saying you haven't heard it once?
snow conditions
It's not actaully ice - it's hard-packed snow. Ice is frozen water and is a translucent / blue-ish colour. It is is very different and is fortunately not often found on piste.
snow conditions
@stephen buck, I see. In that case the ice-ice was only in a few places, when it was visibly dark. Mostly it was while surface that felt and sounded like ice... You could even slide on your ass very fast on a mellow run xD

Just in comparison, in other times, it was mostly good snow in places like Tignes, Serre Chevalier, Valloire, AlpesDhuez, Chamrousse, Hemsedal(best snow ever), Les 2 Alpes. It was grippy, made the swooshy sound (not scrapy) and I thought that was staple of good snow and that it was the hard packed snow, because it wasn't powder either, it was pisted!

On the white "ice" I'd rather not ride at all. it's just not fun. But this was the first time i've encoutered it all over the mountain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy