Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helicopter evacuation

Poster: A snowHead
Just had the invoice for my helicopter ride from piste in champoluc to hospital in Aosta.....bearing in mind a taxi cost 144 euros...... helicopter was only 200 euro.... dirt cheap
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@yorkshirelad,
Do they do airport transfers at half term Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was airlifted from Hintertux to Schwarz Hospital in December, a 60km flight I think. Cost €4,000. Taxi back was €119. I thought the taxi was quite cheap.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@yorkshirelad, read it again, you may have missed a zero or two Puzzled

200Eu will keep a chopper in the air for about 15 mins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Masque, wouldn't have thought Champoluc to Aosta would have been much more than 15 minutes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@yorkshirelad, did your lift pass have insurance for rescue? Maybe the 200€ is just the excess.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
€91 per minute of flight with AirAlpin in Austria, plus nearly €600 for the rescue coordination fee. It was a mere €9.10 for the morphine shot which was the cheapest part of the experience, as well as the only enjoyable part of the day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@yorkshirelad, Don't forget the funny foreigners use commas instead of full stops and vice versa when writing numbers!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had to pay €240 to be taken off the French motorway yesterday and to a garage about 5 minutes away, flipping front wheel bolts had come loose, one minute job to tighten them.....no wheel brace in the boot......BMW think you don't need it as it has run flats. Good job BMW are picking up the tab. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, dare I ask what you had done to deserve a ride on a chopper?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang wrote:
@rob@rar, dare I ask what you had done to deserve a ride on a chopper?
Somebody skied in to me, rather quickly.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yorkshirelad wrote:
.....bearing in mind a taxi cost 144 euros...... helicopter was only 200 euro.... dirt cheap
Some places it's free.

Collective time for a 4-seater heli is about $2,000 Canadian an hour. That'll get you a 75 miles return trip. And you travel "as the crow flies".

Many transatlantic first-class tickets cost significantly more than that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mrs Sunshine blew her knee out in January above Plaine Dranse in PDS. The rescue and chopper back to the Medical Centre in Avoriaz was 650E which I didn't think we too bad. The Piste Patrol who helped her were incredible, so efficient and caring.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has anyone had to actually pay for one before or are these all insurance absorbed costs?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Insurance claim for me.
snow conditions
Insurance
ski holidays
@moseyp, a certain 'Kate' on UKclimbing site dislocated her shoulder in Zermatt. Friends called Air Glacier - this was in 2010 - she thought it would be covered by EHIC - she did not have insurance. At that time, AG was 90 chf per minute - 15 from Sion to Zermatt, 10 mins pickup time, 15 minutes to Sion hospital, 5 mins for AG to clear Sion hospital and hop back over the road to Sion airport. 90 x 45. Ouch. The post ended with a hovering dread of the almost certain arrival of the bill.

Meanwhile, when both my partner and I managed to pick up head injuries climbing on nasty unstable morraine above Arolla in 2015 - hers was darn sight messier than mine, steristrips wouldn't do it so we used climbing tape to close the split (!!!) - the hospital bills using EHIC but no helicopter was 66 chf. Bargain.
ski holidays
I did find something on a Aosta valley website somewhere about a 200€ 'contribution' to rescue charges being payable, but can't find the link now. Maybe on La Thuile site?
snow conditions
Checked the invoice....200 euro.... not an excess !!! Short flight anyway, but still cheap, ...
latest report
Posted about my recent experience with Air Zermatt on another thread. CHF 4.5k for delivery of Doctor and Medic then evacuation to Visp Hospital from the Glacier. Thank goodness for insurance.
snow report
4 years ago Mrs B was helied off the back of the Stubai Glacier on (the last run of a 6 day) ski tour.

We were billed for 48 minutes, from take off to pick up, to drop off & flight back to base - €5,000.

Our insurer agreed to settle the bill directly with the rescuers. wink
snow conditions
checked with insurance company and the only invoice they have is the one we sent them... im not complaining..
ski holidays
@yorkshirelad, that's cheaper than the taxi I paid for last week in arlberg area..Warth to lech 265 euros.. mountain rescue wanted 500 to take wife in a sledge. Now way she could have gone in sledge with dislocated shoulder and shattered collar bone.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I did find something on a Aosta valley website somewhere about a 200€ 'contribution' to rescue charges being payable, but can't find the link now. Maybe on La Thuile site?
I found this on the Cervinia site: http://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/tariffe-note-regolamento
€200 contribution to the first aid service. If that includes helicopter evacuation, then its a bargain.
snow report
Masque wrote:
@yorkshirelad, read it again, you may have missed a zero or two Puzzled

Good bit longer than that.
ski holidays
@Charliegolf, Only if its an R22!

Costs in Tignes last year rescue on piste €374, off piste €484 and transportation to hospital €55 per minute
latest report
How many litres of avtur does 200E buy?
ski holidays
Wow, that is cheap, I've just paid my 24,89 euros bill for being blue lighted to Troyes hospital in the summer after falling off my bike. That I think is the contribution that the French pay (20%?) thanks to my EHIC card. They wanted to operate but I was headed home the following day so I had the op in the UK which saved me paying the 20% of the operation and having to claim it back from the insurance. I actually didn't know that at the time (regarding the 20% contribution) so it's made me very aware of how it all works should I have another accident!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AllyK,were you blue-lighted by the Pompiers? Charge would have been grester via a private ambulance. And the 20% cost also depends on the need for surgery. If it was a emergency op for example, my hubby didn't have to pay 20% for his, only the daily hospital charge which I think was 18€ per day.
snow conditions
I was yes, silver lining and all Wink I'd only broken my little finger but it needed k-wires inserting so not really an emergency just a bit painful. It really made me think though, there's a presumption that your EHIC gives you full medical cover. I have annual insurance cover anyway for skiing so it would have been fine but wonder how many people think your EHIC covers you for everything.
latest report
Charliegolf wrote:
How many litres of avtur does 200E buy?
Actually the cost of Jet-A is probably the smallest line-item on the direct costs.

Every heli evac I've been involved with (UK and BC) have been free, but if you have to rent a heli to do it the costs are easily available Most people will spend significantly more changing their cars.
ski holidays
I think (but not certain) it's about 700€ here but that only gets you off the mountain to the helipad at resort level. Ambulance to the clinic for x-rays etc. Even a sled down is several hundred. I dread to think how much a helicopter ride to the nearest hospital in Grenoble is. It's 75 mins by road so ambulance isn't cheap either.
snow conditions
Presumably our beloved EHIC will be on the way out with brexit and insurance will be a bit more of a hassle... get those airlifts in while they are cheap!
snow report
EHIC only kicks in once you get to a hospital in France. All doctors charge a consultation fee, ambulances are private and here all clinics are private too. Pharmacies are also expensive. The French have a mutuel which pays all or a large part of those fees. Helicopter or sled rescue is not covered.
latest report
Sorry to be a pedant but:
Quote:

Pharmacies are also expensive.

For some items, but cheaper than UK for others.
&
Quote:

The French have a mutuel

Anyone whose paying French social charges on wages gets this too don't they, not just the French (a pretty important distinction for ex pats).
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, I think they usually pay for a mutuel also which gives a reduction on all sorts of things inc prescriptions, dentists, glasses, etc. I'll ask my french girlfriend tomorrow. Granted some things are cheaper in pharmacies, I think the fact that you can only buy from a pharmacy unlike the UK is a big factor.
ski holidays
Anyone on the system can get a Mutuelle, but they're expensive.
After an initial year, ours jumped to eur1400 p.a.
We stopped paying for 11 years. Saving around 15K.
During that time we lost out on eur6 per doctors appointment, and we had to pay the 30% not covered by the normal "free" carte-vitale upon my partners broken leg, hospitalisation, operations and rehab, and my son's ACL injury, op and rehab, and 6 years of orthodontics. ( The Mutuelle had a ceiling for orthodontics of eur 500 pp pa) In total these cost us around 5K, so we're still 10K ahead of where we would be if we still had the Mutuelle.
ski holidays
Quote:

Granted some things are cheaper in pharmacies

Like 'crampons' for the bottom of my crutches...........they were only a few Euros, and I bet you can't even get them in the UK!! Laughing
ski holidays
Last couple of things I got were some insect repellent and a tiny tube of steroid cream for a rash. About 25€ for the two. In UK you could pop in and buy Tescos own brand.
snow report
Ten years ago a mate of mine owned a Jetranger. He leased it to a flying school to keep ownership costs down but reckoned it was still working out at approx £400ph for every hour he flew it.

The biggest cost was engine-out servicing, where the engine must be crated and shipped back to Bell in the US. I would imagine it could easily be 50% more than that now, possibly double with exchange rate costs.

I would frame a €200 heli-evac invoice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy