Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere to La Thuile question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How long does it take to ski over from La Rosiere to La Thuile. Going in Feb half term.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If only you skied there rather than taking a stupidly long drag tow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was last there about three years ago. Maybe four. I thought that they were about to put in a new chair there. Or was that just at the La Rosiere end? It is a long long long two stage drag lift otherwise, but a not difficult ski back (unless you take that corner a bit quick and unexpectedly come across a sudden drop in the piste)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Time wise how long does it take from La Rosbto La Thuile - I know the drag lifts are long but time wise what should we allow for getting over there and also getting back.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I honestly can't remember exactly but I'd say about an hour either way but there's a flat section on the way to la Thuile that's a bit of a pain and the lifts on the Italian side are sloooow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's about an 60-90 minutes depending on your level but the drag lift up from La Ros is very very long and not great tbh.
The skiing in La Thuile is very different to La R, there are some great step black runs down to the resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its better to make a day of it and enjoy,
Unless you need to catch a bus from la Thuile to Cervinia and cross down to Zermatt for a late breakfast.
Before a rush back.
Or you could take a taxi that would allow you to have a longer lunch.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is quite a few years since we last went to La rosiere (and I think a couple of chairs have been replaced) but I think it was about an hour each way. There is also the option of only taking one of the drags and skiing the San Bernando area between the two resorts. I think the slow chair back from La Thuile is still there.

We had children booked into 2.5 hr morning ski school and lunch club and managed to get over to la thuile and back and do a few runs in that time. However we did not get as far as the furthest red/black down to the village. If you only had children booked into morning ski school (without lunch) it would be hard to ski much of la thuile.

Have happy memories of the ski area in general. I'm sure you will have a great time. mid season you will be able to ski fontaine froide on the la rosiere side which is a really great run.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @alangibson73,

I used to ski from La Rosière to La Thuile during my kids' ski school last year.
It's not a long run, but depending on your level, it's less than 60mn from the bottom of Roches Noires.
You can ski to La Thuile and back in 2 hours time.
Remember to take a good start and gather speed at the beginning of Faisans on your way back as it's quite flat to the end.

The 2 drag lifts are long, definitely, but the view is also AMAZING !
And both rides may last 10 to 15 mns maxi !
So it's not a problem, in my opinion.
And the ski is really good down to La Thuile via the pistes 19, then 18 and 6.

So, it's no problem unless you're a snowboarder.
There's also an alternative : you just take the 1st drag lift then the pistes 26 / 7 in the Saint Bernard pass heading to La Thuile.
But it's rather flat so it'll take you more time...

Enjoy !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

So, it's no problem unless you're a snowboarder.

It's no problem if you're a snowboarder either....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You only need to take the 1st drag and then ski left and ski the Col area and then catch up the Foulcaz Express lift and drop over into the LT Bowl or stay in the Col and ski the rather dull red 7 down into LT. If it is bad weather or blowy then forget it, otherwise it is a must that you will repeat on your holiday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alangibson73, about an hour each way. The drag lift isn't so bad as some are making out. OK it's not a modern heated chair, but it does the job and can be kept open when wind speed would close a chair lift. Once you work out the best chair sequence at La Ros side, It's a doddle. We did it daily in January no problems at all. Have a good trip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went last year la thuile/la rossiere. I'd say about an hour - 1 hour 30 either way. We went in the morning and had lunch in la rossiere, did a few runs the French side and then made our way back. We did get a bit lost by missing the 2nd drag on the way back. Its a must to do though and I prefer the slopes on the French side, they are as someone has previously said very, very different. I had a few melt downs in la thuile. If there is a slight puff of wind the top gets closed, so choose your day wisely.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We always try to get from La Ros to La Thuile as it gives us good mileage - feel like we have travelled a bit.

Plus while you will find the slopes in LR at half term will be VV busy - LT will likely be virtually deserted.

And the bottom of the top area (does that make sense?) is quite high so the snow tends to be excellent whereas La Ros you tend to have to ski lower down to get lifts back up.

The upper area of LT is a big bowl with runs fanning out from the top.

Some of the chairs in the LT upper bowl can be very slow - aim for the Chaz Dura Express which goes right up the middle of the bowl - a fast one - from the top you have quite a few run choices. Or Chaz Dura to the top right of the bowl opens up a few really good reds with offpiste in between them

Avoid La Combe - so slow it feels like you are going backwards.

They do shut the link a lot though , in wind , too much snow etc...last time we went in 2016 it was open just one day.

Cant wait , we will be there at Christmas
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy