Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

small resort at half term?

Poster: A snowHead
might try and do a half term trip but dont want to go to the big french resorts, will be with twi kids under 5 and dont need a massive amounts of piste etc so dont want a massive resort, ideally within shooting distance of geneva.... so something like sainte foy but not that far away from geneva..... decent altitude though?

any ideas?

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pop through the tunnel into Italy and take your pick, not as crowded and very kid friendly, Milan is an easy 2 hour drive into Aosta valley also.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does it have to be Geneva?

I had a great Feb Half-term in Germany. Took the train from Munich airport to Bayrischzell.

Skied Wendelstein - Brannenburg, Spitzingsee - Tegernsee & Sudelfeld - Bayrischzell

https://www.bergfex.com/wendelstein-bayrischzell/

https://www.bergfex.com/spitzingsee-tegernsee/

https://www.bergfex.com/sudelfeld-bayrischzell/

Great value for money, deserted slopes, wonderful alpine scenery & a very warm welcome.

Highly recommended.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have always been happy in Pila which is 2.5hr from Geneva. Tight little resort with plenty of easy stuff to ski on. They have loads of snowmaking on a North facing resort so normally plenty of good piste to ski on. Also quiet mid week - gets busier at weekends.

Even easier from Turin 1.5hrs if you can fly there instead.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Le Grand Bornand - near Geneva and we really liked it. It wasn't at half term though so I don't know how busy it gets then.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montriond?

Les Carroz?

Flaine?

Les Houches?

Samoens?

La Clusaz?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens are not quiet at half term, La Thuile / Pila in Aosta valley are not that far as @geoffknight, states, and much less busy, esp la thuile.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Be careful. Half-term (well, most) coincides with Mardi-Gras next year. This is a big holiday in Aosta and likely to be busy.

Try Praz de Lys / Sommand - even easier from GVA.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ajc2260626, a few of the Magic Pass resorts are pretty close to Geneva, and I reckon would be quieter than those on the French side at half term. E.g. Les Diablerets, Leysin.

I haven't skied most of these resorts (only the Val d'Anniviers, and they aren't close to Geneva) but I am interested to. I think there are a couple of snowheads who know them quite well.
https://www.magicpass.ch/fr/stations/#
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have been having the same thoughts. Concluded Italy, Austria both likely to be busy due to fasching and other school hols.

We are looking at southern French Alps as that region not on holiday during our half term - 10 - 17 Feb. Wondering about Auron, Pra Loup, Risoul/Vars, Les Orres via some admittedly a bit pricey schedule flights to Marseille or Nice (based near Newcastle so direct options limited anyway).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
Does it have to be Geneva?

I had a great Feb Half-term in Germany. Took the train from Munich airport to Bayrischzell.

Skied Wendelstein - Brannenburg, Spitzingsee - Tegernsee & Sudelfeld - Bayrischzell

https://www.bergfex.com/wendelstein-bayrischzell/

https://www.bergfex.com/spitzingsee-tegernsee/

https://www.bergfex.com/sudelfeld-bayrischzell/

Great value for money, deserted slopes, wonderful alpine scenery & a very warm welcome.

Highly recommended.

Sounds like a nice spot, but Fasching 2018 coincides with UK half-term Feb 10-17. Bavarian schools are on holiday that week, so I can't imagine it will be quiet in the Bavarian Alps.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 21-10-17 20:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duplicate post
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How small do you want to go? We've spent the last two half terms at Rhemes Notre Dame in Aosta Valley. One lift, ten people max on the slope, good slopes for ski coaching, a kids play area with capet and rubber tubes, magic carpet on beginners slope, two hotels, cheap (about 15 euros a day lift pass), no English, no queues for mid day lunch, sun hits the slope at exactly 10am so you will be able to get the kids sorted without rushing, hotel right by the lift.
Its really a x country place, but just suits us fine Happy.
And dont tell anyone else!!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cheers guys, am looking at driving which is why i would like closer to geneva as easier to get there, we usually go to tignes and that another 2 - 3 hours.... so like someone suggested samoens but ideally want to be close to nursery slopes for the kids, not to fussed about what there is for us to do, so a small area would be better so we dont end paying for a pass that we wont be able to use anyway as we would probably only get a couple of afternoons anyway.... some of the ones suggested i have thought of but theres a couple i didn't.... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you thought about any of the Maurienne valley resorts? I realise not super close to Geneva, but if driving from the UK, then pretty good as motorway all the way to Modane which is close to Val Cenis, La Norma, etc. and others a bit closer, such as Valloire. Others might need to advise on what these might be like the week you are thinking of.
snow conditions
val cenis and valloire worth a look definitely, cheers
ski holidays
But not that close to Geneva. And it'll be French holidays too. From Gva I'd be inclined to drive into Italy.
latest report
Château d'Oex.
latest report
I’m not convinced Mardi Gras makes e.g. Champoluc that busy.

But I have no evidence.
snow report
Megeve - 1:15 from Geneva and if you're driving you have a choice of accommodation so don't have to pay the premium prices in the centre of the village. In terms of kids ski areas, there is the nursery slopes around Rochebrune which for beginners are brilliant; There is also Les Jaillet area towards Comblooux. A very underrated ski area!
ski holidays
La Chapelle D'Abondance.
You do not really need to be super high at half term, unless you have a pine tree allergy.
If you do like going above the trees though, you can ski over to Linga easily - but I don't see why you would.
latest report
Or even head into the Jura. There`s likely to be good snow in Feb, and there are several small resorts. We taught ours to ski at La Faucille whilst staying with family in Divonne Les Bains (adjacent to Geneva). Unless its really chucking it down with snow its a quick drive up from Gex. Our then very young boys enjoyed some days feeding the ducks in Lake Geneva, a trip out to a swimming complex, and a few afternoons on the slopes, skiing, tobogganing and messing around in the snow generally. Its a very family oriented area, still very French but with plenty of English spoken because a lot of the international community take their very little ones there to ski.
snow conditions
@FrediKanoute, Mégève at half-term?

Going to be busy, surely?
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, Villars, might be busy but a great place for families. Its CH though so i'd go self catering, ker-ching!

Or Nendaz - train from GVA to Sion, local bus transfer.
latest report
@ajc2260626,

Les Contamines fits your bill - not super high but good snow record.
snow report
@jedster, half term? admittedly not a Paris week, but still vacances...
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I’m not convinced Mardi Gras makes e.g. Champoluc that busy.

But I have no evidence.

Val D'Aosta has a Winter School Holiday (long weekend) at the end of Feb 2018.

https://www.feiertagskalender.ch/ferien.php?geo=3415&hl=en

Though Lombardy (Milan) & other regions of Italy (Veneto included) have a Carnevale (Mardi Gras) break that will probably mean a busier weekend in resorts accessible to these from Sat 11th until Tues 14th Feb, that would likely include the Monte Rosa areas. From Wed onwards it will probably be nicely quiet again.

https://www.feiertagskalender.ch/ferien.php?geo=3423&jahr=2018&hl=en

As I arrive in Italy on the 14th, hopefully everyone will be leaving!! snowHead
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@FrediKanoute, Mégève at half-term?

Going to be busy, surely?

Maybe, but I found it pretty clear. Lots of traffic around the Mt arbois runs, but Rochebrune and Les Jaillet, especially towards Les Giettez were largely empty
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@jedster, half term? admittedly not a Paris week, but still vacances...

it's all relative. Les C is MUCH quieter than Megeve/St G/PDS (and I imagine Chamonix) at half term. We have friends who are always in St G that week and they normally come up to Les C to ski with us and are always surprised how much better the queues are. Once you get out of the valley with the exception of a couple of lifts you don't get queues.
snow report
@jedster, fair enough!

Half term (with reasonable snow) is nowhere near as bad as it was e.g. 30 years ago, what with massively improved uplift, etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy