Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter recommendations: France, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for recommendations for Easter holiday options for 5 people; 2 couples, 1 teen, all confident skiers. We did VT last year and loved it, but I am not impressed with the accommodation options in our price range (my parents snore for England, I can’t cope with that in a tiny apartment).

Fairly open minded, but don’t want to be ski bus-ing it to the slopes.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going to Mayrhofen at Easter next year. 2 bed appt (spacious, sleeps 6) less than 600m from penken gondola for £550, return flights to Munich £380, hire car £150. Lift passes and equipment to go so hopefully £2000 ish for family of 4.
Haven't been to Mayrhofen before but assume a short walk to the Penken is doable, and train links to the rest of Ziller Valley supposed to be excellent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Phae88,

If you compare French and Austrian accommodation then you will generally get a larger apartment in Austria for the same money, but most Austrian resorts are not ski in ski out. So driving, walking or bussing it are quite common, unless you have a free shuttle bus from the hotel or such like. There are some places very close to the slopes but not to the same extent. So you will have bigger places in Austria but not so many close to the slopes.

Austria has some very good Easter options. I have skied St Anton and the Arlberg, and Zillertal at Easter. I do think France edges it at Easter. I have tried a good few places and reckon Tignes and Val D'Isere are hard to beat at Easter. I have also had incredible skiing in La Plagne, Les Arcs, St Foy, VT, and Chamonix. You would expect to have good conditions in many places at Easter - particularly as it is quite early this year. Why not give Les Arcs/La Plagne a go this year, check out the owners direct website and spend some time researching the apartments. Keep an eye on the apartment size. I tend to book a place 4 or 5 people if I am with my wife and son in France. So have a look at places for between 5-7 people and see what you can find. Also get some really good earplugs - skiing necessity for me! You will generally get much better and bigger accommodation in Austria for the same money but you will often be a good way from the slopes - you will need to balance it all out.

As @james75, mentions Mayrhofen is a very good Austrian option but I think you will need to get the ski bus/train/drive to some of the valley options - I have not been there for a few years. You have the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley which is about as snowsure as you can get.

Happy searching.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis, Austria
Madesimo, Italy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oree des Cimes or Oree des Neiges ( which is more expensive as it has a pool and links onto a lift with no queues) in Peisey-Vallandry Les Arcs. I have done the tiny apartments in VT and Tignes VC and would quite happily go back but the family would kill me. These are big apartments with proper walls. You are beside the Vanoise Express which means you can alternate days between Les Arcs and La Plagne and cover plenty of mileage. Plenty of height for later in the season. This was ski in /out until April 15 this year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Arcs would be a good place to go. I would say that Arc 1950/2000 probably have a bit more going on (than Vallandry) for your teen. although GarryC is right in saying that Vallandry is better located for easy access to La Plagne.

Have a look at the accommodation in Arc 1950 or La Source or La Cime des Arcs in Arc 2000. All high end self catering with pools etc and very well situated for skiing and apres ski.

You could also look at Le Centaure in Flaine - skiing usually very good there at Easter if you can cope with the modern architecture.

I have a 15 yr old son and Arc 2000 and Flaine are his favourite places..having skied in many French resorts at Easter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowymum, I think that @Phae88, is the teen by reference to their parent's nocturnal snoring. Very Happy

Agree with your choices of ski area in France though, we've stayed in apartment Flaine montsoleil six bed that has two very discreet / separate bedrooms that may be more practical for sleeping arrangements (sofa bed was other two berths).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski3 wrote:
@snowymum, I think that @Phae88, is the teen by reference to their parent's nocturnal snoring. Very Happy

Agree with your choices of ski area in France though, we've stayed in apartment Flaine montsoleil six bed that has two very discreet / separate bedrooms that may be more practical for sleeping arrangements (sofa bed was other two berths).

Haha, the teen is my 13year old stepdaughter! Not me, but I have done enough ski holidays in MY teens with my parents to know I don’t want to be sharing an apartment the size of a postage stamp with them if I can help it! Laughing

Thank you for all the brilliant helpful responses, I shall have a look at les arc for starters.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't just restrict yourselves to looking at the higher areas. We've been skiing at Easter for most years in the last 10, all bar one year we had plenty of snow. We've been as low as 700m in Austria and had great conditions.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is this an option?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133612&highlight=
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know austria better than france generally...Ischgl and solden are definitely strong options at easter time, though Ischgl at least can be a little pricey (I think there are cheaper apartments but they may be a bit of a walk from the lifts). Ischgl is right up there in terms of a modern lift system, consistent snow quality and long, challenging runs: if you can find a bargain there I think it gives most of the big frenchies a run for their money.

Mayrhofen cheaper, main Penken area has some very varied skiing. But to really make the most of it as strong skiers over a week you would probably want to get the bus up the valley to the Hintertux glacier and maybe the zillertal arena/hochzillertal aswell. For me hintertux was one of the highlights of the skiing there, probably my favourite day of the week.

As easter is relatively early this year you probably have a wider range of options than some years
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure how much of an impact it has on holidaying skiers, but it's usually Snowbombing in Mayrhofen one of the Easter holiday weeks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JayDub wrote:
@Phae88,

If you compare French and Austrian accommodation then you will generally get a larger apartment in Austria for the same money, but most Austrian resorts are not ski in ski out. So driving, walking or bussing it are quite common, unless you have a free shuttle bus from the hotel or such like. There are some places very close to the slopes but not to the same extent. So you will have bigger places in Austria but not so many close to the slopes.

Austria has some very good Easter options. I have skied St Anton and the Arlberg, and Zillertal at Easter. I do think France edges it at Easter. I have tried a good few places and reckon Tignes and Val D'Isere are hard to beat at Easter. I have also had incredible skiing in La Plagne, Les Arcs, St Foy, VT, and Chamonix. You would expect to have good conditions in many places at Easter - particularly as it is quite early this year. Why not give Les Arcs/La Plagne a go this year, check out the owners direct website and spend some time researching the apartments. Keep an eye on the apartment size. I tend to book a place 4 or 5 people if I am with my wife and son in France. So have a look at places for between 5-7 people and see what you can find. Also get some really good earplugs - skiing necessity for me! You will generally get much better and bigger accommodation in Austria for the same money but you will often be a good way from the slopes - you will need to balance it all out.

As @james75, mentions Mayrhofen is a very good Austrian option but I think you will need to get the ski bus/train/drive to some of the valley options - I have not been there for a few years. You have the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley which is about as snowsure as you can get.

Happy searching.

Be wary of HomeAway / Owners Direct - they really screw both the owner and guest on commission.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JayDub wrote:
@Phae88,

Happy searching.

Be wary of HomeAway / Owners Direct - they really screw both the owner and guest on commission.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
timmythedog wrote:
JayDub wrote:
@Phae88,

Happy searching.

Thanks for the heads up, not found anything proving more economical to book that way (flights are proving challenging but then I know it’s early days)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy