Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh No Not Plantar Fasciitis

Poster: A snowHead
Gel heel inserts are well worth giving a go. Worked for me along with exercises as described above. Barefoot or slippers around the house made things worse. Shoes or sandals with gel inserts all the time. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah, the joy of plantar fasciitis. The good news is, for some reason or another with no treatment at all, it should go on its own. The bad news is this could take 1+ years.

First things first...a proper diagnosis. Is it worse in the morning immediately after you get out of bed and onto it? and then eases off as it 'warms' up and the day goes on? Is it in one foot and not the other (apologies if you mentioned this already!) is the pain in the heel but not directly central...it's usually slightly more medial (nearer the inside of your foot) as that's where the fascia joins a bony prominence of the heel bone...NOT to be confused with a heel spur!!

If so, then the above advice seems pretty sound but I have a couple other pointers - in the morning, before getting out of bed pull your affected foots big toe up as high as you can until the arch tightens. hold it for 5 seconds and then push it downwards for 5 seconds. repeat this 8-10 times before you get up and your pain should be reduced first thing (more of a pain management idea than a healing idea but it'll help you get up and go quicker!)

Secondly, as above, keep stretching your calf muscles as often as you can (both legs, not just the affected!) as tightness here does contribute to PF.

Thirdly, rolling a tennis ball under foot is good but...get an empty plastic bottle, fill it with water and freeze it. Then when you're sat for 20 or so minutes, roll the frozen bottle under the arch right from your big toe to your heel. Be quite vigorous with it. Double whammy of the coldness and the manipulation of the fascia.

Ibuprofen gels are also good to help you keep moving about.

Then as mentioned wear good supporting shoes and avoid barefoot/flip-flops for the time being, even indoors. Off the shelf orthotics can be effective if they have good arch support, but even better if they have a 'medial heel wedge' (if you naturally pronate a lot).

Even with all these 'treatments' you will still take months to fully heal and recover. This could be 1 or 6 it depends on you, your biomechanics and your activity levels but try your best to rest it...no running, no long walks, no squash, no tennis etc etc.

If you're still struggling, THEN see a Podiatrist...they'll only give you this same advice, then sell you an expensive orthotic then if all else fails give/refer you for a steroid injection...painful, but, effective.

Oh...and I'm a Podiatrist myself by the way with plenty of biomechanical experience Wink

All the best.

www.chaletcouple.com
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have suffered myself with plantar fasciitis , so sympathies to you Dr. Lawn , does anyone know what activities you can do while suffering
from this & not make it worse ? swimming is one , but what about cycling ?
suppose some gym exercises are ok depending on what they are .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was fine cycling as the foot (in stiff cycling shoes) doesn't flex and is well supported.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cycled down the pub today and then hobbled in the last few yards, I had more advice ...

Put a plastic bottle of water in the freezer and then roll it under the foot every night for a couple of years.

God's teeth! a couple of years!!! Puzzled

Hi @Lechbob, so the only relief I'm going to get get is when I'm skiing ... or glugging a pint of Vin Chaud at the bottom of Tuffs again.

Welcome to the forum @motdoc, I saw those wedge things on Amazon yesterday but could not work out what you were supposed to do with them, but I've got it now.
I was trying @Tubaski's, toe against the wall trick this morning at church ...
(I find church is a great place for doing exercises that you don't have time for, also I can pray for a speedy recovery.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DrLawn, Given that the only thing you can do, is ski...it looks like you need a "Baldrick Cunning Plan":
Go to the Alps for their ski season and when that is over, go to Australia for their ski season. Repeat until better.

Like every Baldick Plan - it's deceptively simple. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gosh .. I hadnt noticed that this thread had run to another page...
so missed @chaletcouple, & @snowxxx, & @martinm, additions.

Welcome to the forum @chaletcouple,
The hurt I have seems to be just ever so slightly inboard of the centre of the heel pad.
It does hurt first thing in the morning but just as bad in the evening or out of car, off bike, or getting up out of a chair.
I think I noticed there was something wrong on long drives holding my right foot static on the accelerator.

Thanks again for all the useful tips (this is a great forum for sympathy)
Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag,

When you say "Baldrick Cunning Plan" ... it seems you may know something about my family?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:

Thanks again for all the useful tips (this is a great forum for sympathy)
Cheers!

A lot of us are so old and knackered, that we've been there and got the T-Shirt. I'm held together by Titanium Bolts and hope (or should that be faith Puzzled )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with all the people who say PF is primarily caused by the calf muscles.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These improved mine by 80% or so overnight http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/custom/red I'm 6ft 7 and 18 stone, so was recommended these ones. Wear them most days and for sport, and they've lasted a couple of years now.

Something like this is great for when you have pain. Really push your foot into it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/66fit-Massage-Rollers-Reflexology-Massager/dp/B008LU2F04?tag=amz07b-21

Skiing is actually fine because your foot is static inside the boot.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@drdawn...yup, seems like a pretty straightforward diagnosis then. Painful after inactivity/off your feet as the fascia contracts slightly into it's more relaxed position and then when you stand on it it's shocking it by stretching it suddenly without warming up (hence the toe pull before getting out of bed)

Good luck with it and hope it goes before the season!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DrLawn wrote:

The hurt I have seems to be just ever so slightly inboard of the centre of the heel pad.

Are you sure it's PF?

PF affects (roughly) the arch AIUI.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Night splint/boot helps a lot. If I don't wear mine I feel the pain every morning but with the splint on at night I get through most the following day pain free. The problem with PF is you have to keep off any gym or exercise that impacts the foot. Swimming works well and the hot spa with high power water jets on the foot works far better than any golf ball.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martinm wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Are you sure it's PF?

Not necessarily. The fascia that supports the arch runs from the end of the big toe to the insertion on the calcaneous ...PF and associated pain/problems can lie anywhere here but the most common is at the insertion into the heel Smile

All the other symptoms also sound likely of PF.
snow conditions
martinm wrote:
DrLawn wrote:

Are you sure it's PF?

Not necessarily. The fascia that supports the arch runs from the end of the big toe to the insertion on the calcaneous ...PF and associated pain/problems can lie anywhere here but the most common is at the insertion into the heel Smile

All the other symptoms also sound likely of PF.
ski holidays
the first signs of PF is when you get out of bed in the morning and put your foot on the ground and you get that excruciating pain in your heel, and you just cant walk anywhere, it goes after about 10 mins but it is very very painful.
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
I saw those wedge things on Amazon yesterday but could not work out what you were supposed to do with them

The wedge is to open your wallet and buy us more vin chaud.
snow report
oz wrote:
Night splint/boot helps a lot

@DrLawn If you don't have them. Ski boots work. Get your partner to wear kinky boots to complete the effect. Twisted Evil
snow report
TK Maxx have mens Profoot gel heel wedges at £6.99. No skiwear though.
latest report
Evening Snowheads,
As I sit here typing my foot is wobbling away on a spiky roller thing that arrived from Amazon this evening, feels quite nice Madeye-Smiley

I've got an appointment tomorrow with a Podiatrist

I've put the comfy padded inserts in my shoes.

I've still got to break it to the misses that there is going to be a bit of "roll play" tonight ....
Strict Ski Instructors and Fisherman's Friends.
ski holidays
Sorry I meant Fishermans Friend
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:
the first signs of PF is when you get out of bed in the morning and put your foot on the ground and you get that excruciating pain in your heel, ...

That happened to me but it turned out to be a Lego brick.
latest report
Lechbob wrote:
oz wrote:
Night splint/boot helps a lot

@DrLawn If you don't have them. Ski boots work. Get your partner to wear kinky boots to complete the effect. Twisted Evil

I used a ski boot inner for a month before buying the night splint. The boot inner worked well well and convinced me to buy a splint. Easy to get on and a bit of elastic tube bandage around the top keeps it all tight. But the real splint isn't very expensive. Night splints work well if you can get used to them.
snow report
Hi there sypathizers ...
I've just come back from the Podiatrist and he assures me that its not Plantar Fasciitis

Basically I'm a malingering old whinger who who has a bit of a soar heel because the cushoiny fat stuff that cushions the bone in the heel has spread spread out and got a bit thin.

Patched me up with some surgical tape and stuck plastic on the cushion insoles I was wearing.
Removed a small hump in my wallet and I'll be fine.

I'm sort of pleased and sort of disappointed (sound odd don't it?)

So its all stuff and nonsense.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:

I'm sort of pleased and sort of disappointed (sound odd don't it?)

So its all stuff and nonsense.

I think it's great news....prior to Google, you would have gone with a sore heel and been diagnosed. Now, we all become "google experts" and convince ourselves of all sorts.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Now, we all become "google experts" and convince ourselves of all sorts.

I've been pregnant four times.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:

Have you considered birth control. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Have you considered birth control. wink

It's OK....I turn off wifi and get an instant cure. Toofy Grin

@Old Fartbag does have a very valid point though. I try to avoid self diagnosis. (TBH I try to avoid any diagnosis...If I can fire up Google then I'm not that sick.) OH is a nurse and sees endless patients who googled their symptoms and got the wrong answer. The surgery have been carrying out a time and motion study over the last few months and initial results are that more than 50% of people who visit a GP practice are 'worried well'*. They aren't really sick but they had a bad day, googled the symptoms and made an appointment to see the GP or the nurse as their search revealed that they were about to die.

There seems to be a disconnect. If you have a brain tumour you might have a headache. Having a headache is not proof that you have a brain tumour.

*Up from about 20% 'worried well' a decade ago.
snow conditions
Some good tips if you do have plantar fasciitis though. It's a horrible thing to have that can be improved pretty easily.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy