Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goggle lens colour

Poster: A snowHead
I usually wear sunglasses but switch to goggles for low light/blizzard type stuff.

What's the best colour lens for these conditions? Mine is a yellow/brown tint IIRC.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-08-17 17:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried searching on Goggle? Toofy Grin [edit: that joke makes no sense now you fixed the typo in the subject Sad ]

I've been very pleased with my Oakley Prism Rose, but suspect a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@martinm, I find yellow/amber best for those conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@martinm, yellow/orange lenses generally best for crap light due physics.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always wear goggles regardless of the weather. Only goggles incubate the eyes, above all against wind. Sunglasses do not.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Oakley Prizm Rose (if you want a lens that can also cope if the sun comes out)....or Prizm Hi-Pink, if a dedicated whiteout lens is needed. IMO. Prizm technology works well and is worth seeking out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi pink or hi yellow. If you want a lens for the worst conditions don't get suckered by an amber or rose or whatever.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also don't have cataracts, get older etc etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Hi pink or hi yellow. If you want a lens for the worst conditions don't get suckered by an amber or rose or whatever.

I've tried most of the recommended colours for poor conditions over the years (including pink and yellow) and the Prizm Rose was better than any of them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@martinm, It really depends on the actual conditions, as apart from the full on inside a ping pong ball, dragging a pole to confirm if you are actually moving conditions, pretty much everything else is "It depends". I've got and tried pretty much all the Oakley Prizm lens, and the Hi Yellow, Persimmon, Pink etc. The Prizm lens certainly work over a much wider range than any of the others.

It also depends on how much of a visual skier/boarder you are (yes, I know about Rule 5).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am all in favour of rule 5 but I get nauseous when I can't orient visually.

Currently i'm running the Smith Blue Sensor mirror for crap weather. I am liking the look of their Chromapop idea which I think is similar to Oakley's Prizm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:

It also depends on how much of a visual skier/boarder you are (yes, I know about Rule 5).

Fairly visual, althoughth less so as the years go by!

Them Oakleys ain't cheap though are they Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@martinm, I got my A Frame 2.0 (Prizm Rose) for 60GBP from Freeze Pro shop....but you need to keep an eye out for sales.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
@martinm, I got my A Frame 2.0 (Prizm Rose) for 60GBP from Freeze Pro shop....but you need to keep an eye out for sales.

Ta, will do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martinm wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ta, will do.

Shade Station, Rx Sport and Absolute Snow, are also good bets.
snow report
You can often get genuine bargains on more unusual Oakley frames, particularly pro skiers/riders models. I have picked up the lens I wanted by buying a bizarre frame colour/pattern, cheaper than I could buy the lens by itself.

Also be very careful of the "too good to be true" prices for Oakley stuff (or any other expensive brand), there loads of fake Oakley sites out there. Don't go near anything without a phone number or physical company address. Random price amounts are the other give away.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
martinm wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Ta, will do.

Shade Station, Rx Sport and Absolute Snow, are also good bets.

I would add, strangely the Cycle Store, I've bought cycle gear and Oakleys from them. They are currently list goggles from £50.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewer.asp?categoryID=175
snow report
Just be careful to only buy snow goggles. Mx (moto cross) goggles are single glazed and will steam up very easily in cold conditions.
snow report
I also have Oakley Prizm Rose, but whilst found them better than anything else I then had for Austria in cloud, flat light & snow, they were too dark when I went to Lapland. OK that's only semi light, at times (but others good light). I got there some Smith goggles which appear blue from the outside but actually are a very soft yellow to see through. I find them great in cloud, snow and low light now, better than the Oakleys.
I can't usually cope with the recommended yellow or orange tints, BTW.
latest report
Those of you with the Prizm rose lenses, how do you find them on really bright days?
snow report
Daishan wrote:
Those of you with the Prizm rose lenses, how do you find them on really bright days?

The Rose copes (for me) with the sun you get in January...and I believe it is dark enough for whatever brightness is thrown at it...it is a surprisingly dark lens for poor conditions, but still seems to work.

The Prizm Jade/Saphire/Torch is better in bright conditions, not quite as good in very poor conditions....but is a great all rounder.

The Hi-Pink Prizm is the best lens for whiteout conditions, but is too bright for Sun (imo).

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/oakley-prizm-hi-pink-vs-rose/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 7-08-17 12:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Grizzler, You need to quote the exact Smith lens you have to be helpful to others.

@Daishan, The Prizm Rose isn't designed for really bright days, you would need something darker. If you really only wanted one lens then mid range Prizm lens would be your best bet.
snow report
Thanks for the replies, wanted your opinions on how close it is to a one lense solution so I can decide if I should get the airbrake xl's, nice and easy to switch lenses on the mountain or one of their other goggles were I'd need to decide in the morning which lense to use.
latest report
I use Smith IOX which have easily changeable lenses. Low light is great although even the darker lens is pretty decent in flat light. Added benefit that I got them for £36 on an Amazon Warehouse deal.
snow report
Have look at the top post on this linked page. It will explain all you need to know about goggle lenses
It's by someone who I'm not allow to name on here Very Happy
http://www.brentaski.com/blog/index.html
latest report
@PowderAdict, If I knew, I would helpfully have stated, but I don't. However, since the OP asked about colour, I thought that the concept of something lighter than the Prizm Rose ( which, BTW, I find too light once conditions brighten - but I have pretty light-sensitive eyes) might be a helpful comment. Clearly not...

Perhaps what might also ( or not) be helpful to the OP is that I purchased them in resort (in Lapland) where they obviously stocked them - along with similar yellow, pink and orange tints of other makes - to suit the conditions there. Similarly, I bought my PRs on a particularly cloudy Austrian trip.
So, fundamentally, IMHO, it's ideal if you can buy them in resort where you can try out the different makes and tints in person and see what you like, and what best fits, and where they hopefully stock lenses for the type of conditions commonly encountered there.
ski holidays
Link in this old thread to a good absolute snow google guide

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115638&highlight=
snow report
Be careful buying online as we do not all have the same shaped faces. I have bought goggles online which had great low light benefits (read a similar thread few years ago) but the goggles caused the bridge of my nose to ache. This year I was keen on getting some Oakleys and was prepared to pay excessive Snow n Rock prices. Tried them all on in store (wearing my helmet like a dick) and found them uncomfortable for my face. Bought some Smiths that were a compromise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, ordered a pair of Flight Decks with Prizm Rose lens. Free returns if they don't fit. Cool

Best price at http://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Ski-Goggles-%252d-Wet-Dry-Red-Iron-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Rose.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KHjpZH_1gIVFSjTCh0ugAw5EAQYAyABEgLYgPD_BwE

And a helmet Shocked

Giro Zone MIPS from abolute-snow.co.uk - some very good prices if not too set on colour.
snow report
@martinm, hope it goes well.

My face and skull must be a bit fussy. I can go through a whole shop full of ski helmets before i get a good fitting helmet and as for goggles, i settled on Bolle Nova 2 but have still to do, a slight nose foam sewing job to get unrestricted nasal breathing...it's all nuts !

I find those large bulbous goggle screens get all to easily scratched / marked accidentally - it can even make a snowHead cry !
snow conditions
@martinm, Good choice.....though they are LARGE....but fit a variety of face sizes.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@martinm, Good choice.....though they are LARGE....but fit a variety of face sizes.

Needed a large helmet, so hopefully will be OK!

I'd tried helmets on in S+R, but they were so uninterested in selling me anything I walked out and spend £65 less over the internet for the same helmet, and £100+ for goggles. They need to learn.
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Needed a large helmet, so hopefully will be OK!

I'd tried helmets on in S+R, but they were so uninterested in selling me anything I walked out and spend £65 less over the internet for the same helmet, and £100+ for goggles. They need to learn.

Let us know what you think of the fit and then later on when you've used them in anger, how they work for you. They have a very impressive field of vision.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

Let us know what you think of the fit and then later on when you've used them in anger, how they work for you. They have a very impressive field of vision.

Will do, although as they'll only be used on poor conditions I hope not to wear them at all Smile
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Will do, although as they'll only be used on poor conditions I hope not to wear them at all Smile

You might surprise yourself. Cool

I have always worn sunnies when possible....some Half Jackets XLJs with several lenses....but am seriously toying with getting some FDs with Prizm Jade/Saphire/Tourch, to do the honours instead. I ski January, so Goggles work well....March would be different. Large goggles like the FD have changed the game.
ski holidays
I do have some Oakley hi yellow for really low light days which are brilliant but lately I just tend to use photo-chromatic lenses. They are not that far off.
snow conditions
Have a look at the "What colour should your goggle lens be?" post
here
http://www.brentaski.com/blog/index.html
ski holidays
Oakley Prizm Hi Pink Iridium for bad days, Blue Sapphire Iridium for the rest including bluebird. That's all you need (and £300+) Laughing

I used to use Oakley Polarised Hi Amber and also hi-intensity yellow, the Prizm's are a massive leap forward on these.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy