Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smaller/quieter European resort with some challenge for experienced piste skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for resort recommendations for a week next year (2 adults), probably 1st week of March give or take a week or so.

We usually go to big, well-known areas (3 Valleys, St Anton, Sestriere\Sauze, Whistler...) but getting fed up with the increasingly busy slopes (and to some extent lift queues) in these popluar areas.
Fortunately we can avoid UK half term(s) but it's always busy around that time of year with other nation's holidays, and it's not practical for us to take a week in really low season.

So we wondered about trying a smaller, quieter resort this time. We are fast (piste-only) skiers and cover a lot of ground (when it's not busy) hence gravitating to big areas in the past, but we also tend to find favourite spots and ski them a lot and/or regret having spent half the day on lifts when trying to get round all the runs and make the most of the lift pass, so thought we might not miss the big areas we're used to.

We like some cruising but also steeps as we are red/black skiers. Also prefer a higher resort to avoid slush and warmth as much as possible.

We're not really into serious nightlife or apres but definitely like to go out for a couple of beers in the evening. Any type of accommodation works for us, chalet/apartment/B&B.

A reasonably attractive base (i.e. not French tower blocks) would be preferable but is a nice-to-have.

Currently considering La Thuile (have read the recent thread on here), or perhaps one of the smaller, high Austrian resorts. Of course, suggestions of any larger resorts which are known for being less crowded would also be welcome Happy

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VodkaSorbet, I visited Serre Chevalier last year for the first time and fell in love with it. Plenty of skiing to be had, including in Italy, and Serre Che itself restored my faith in rural France, which had been dented by over-exposure to the big domains.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for serre che. Lovely terrain for red/black skiers (and anyone else, really). I reckon I could spend an entire day just lapping the Luc Alphand piste down to Chantmerle and be happy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Maireadoconnor,
Quote:

I could spend an entire day just lapping the Luc Alphand piste down to Chantmerle and be happy.
Me too!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, will take a look!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@Maireadoconnor,
Quote:

I could spend an entire day just lapping the Luc Alphand piste down to Chantmerle and be happy.
Me too!

I'll race you Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mmmm bit of a tough ask that one. Smaller doesn't necessarily mean quieter.

Les Contamines or ADH are suggestions from me.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-10-17 16:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne,
Quote:

Don't think we should be finding any solace in Saints hammering. They aren't anywhere near where we want to be or indeed could be GB72.

Puzzled

@Maireadoconnor, I concede right now! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Smaller doesn't necessarily mean quieter.

I suppose I meant less famous/lower profile and therefore possibly less popular.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Hurtle"]@Layne,
Quote:

Don't think we should be finding any solace in Saints hammering. They aren't anywhere near where we want to be or indeed could be GB72.

Puzzled
Sorry mixed messages! Corrected.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VodkaSorbet wrote:
Quote:

Smaller doesn't necessarily mean quieter.

I suppose I meant less famous/lower profile and therefore possibly less popular.

If you haven't been ADH it's definitely worth a shout. In early March the "big" runs up top should be in great nick. Ski down from Dome Grande Rousses to Vaujany - I'm sure you'll love it and want to do that numerous times. You don't have to stay in ADH, we stay in Oz-en-Oisan which is nice and as a couple of nice bars. Les Contamines may just be a tad small for you and it's probably a better off piste bolt hole. But the piste is good also. The main town is nice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl in 2nd or 3rd week Jan (after Russian New Year)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or Kappl, and do a day trip to Ischgl?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999,
Quote:

Ischgl in 2nd or 3rd week Jan

Is it quiet around 1st week of March, when OP planning to go?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Take a look at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis. Huge Terrain, not so crowded as French resorts, great snow record and a nice alpine village.
Could also consider the Zillertal Arena, Saalbach (one of the best lift service in the world) or Obertaurn. They all offer great terrain and quieter environment this time of the year.
latest report
intermediate wrote:
@clarky999,
Quote:

Ischgl in 2nd or 3rd week Jan

Is it quiet around 1st week of March, when OP planning to go?

Oops, missed that - just saw "don't have to go in half term" Embarassed

That week overlaps with Faching I think, so unlikely. Mid-Jan is the quietest I've seen it.
snow report
@VodkaSorbet, you need to avoid the 4 week French half term. Mid March would be ideal for Serre Che.
ski holidays
Don't go anywhere in France the first week of March.
ski holidays
AS Pam says mid March in France is probably the best time if you want it quiet. The first week in March is still the school holidays and the week after is nearly as busy with people who've booked to miss the school holidays.
snow report
Warth (skiArlberg)
Never busy, neither is Lech-Oberlech.
Some crowds in Zürs since last year because of connection St.Anton.
But if you switch to St. Anton before lunch and return to Warth in afternoon, you are completely anticyclic.
Warth skiresort is completely northfacing
snow conditions
Champoluc (or any of the Monterosa village)? Good skiing, high plus good snowmaking (it’s been known to be windy, esp overnight), good quasi-controlled off piste, some steep blacks, Italian hospitality, food wine and value for money ...

What’s not too like?
ski holidays
@VodkaSorbet, have you tried Austria? Kitzbuhel, Warth (as mentioned above) would be worth a look. I had a week in Stuben over Easter once then went to a course in Morzine which I felt was mobbed compared to Stuben but apparently was quite for Morzine!!

Others to look at IMHO, Obertauern, Laax, Ischgl, Val d’Anniviers
latest report
Serre Che is a great mountain but the lift system doesn't do it justice.
120 Snowheads can't be wrong. Most are very good skiers. Arabba.
latest report
Quote:

That week overlaps with Faching I think, so unlikely.

@clarky999, I believe that Fasching week is the w/c 10/02/18. Last week of Feb and into March was last year.
ski holidays
+1 for Champoluc.

Big spread out area with long, very fast and perfectly groomed pistes. Great food on the mountain too.
Apres is quiet but very friendly and accommodation very well priced for a good standard.
snow report
Try the Grand Domaine (Valmorel) very family oriented so rather empty out of the holidays and the more difficult runs are even more empty. The resort does not offend the eye either. Still a couple of drag lifts in the lower altitude Doucy Sector but I've only ever used them once a day to access the higher slopes when I'm driving up the hill as Doucy has easy and free car parking.
snow conditions
@VodkaSorbet, for one out of the box we like Åre, Sweden. Some great accommodation for decent prices on the Skistar website. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Arabba

Les Contamines

Courmayeur
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a huge fan of the Kronplatz area. Might suit. Can link in to main Dolomites area but that is easier with a hire car.
I see someone has suggested Serfaus Fiss Ladis and that is somewhere I intend trying this season as well
snow conditions
I don't think Les Contamines is ideal for folk wanting challenging piste skiing. The Veleray blacks are it, really and they don't hold their snow well, unlike much of the resort.
ski holidays
Les Contamines has 9 black, 19 red, 12 blue 8 green according to their website. 48 runs in total

My recollection was that there was plenty of challenging skiing. But I was skiing with young children and dabbling off piste.

Somewhere like Val D'Isere is 3 times the size but according to ski resort info the split is:

Easy 170 km (57 %)
Intermediate 78 km (26 %)
Difficult 52 km (17 %)

But of course there is a lot off piste.

Personally I don't think Les Contamines is tame but sure there may be places that have more difficult runs.
ski holidays
Yeah, if you don't have to go to France in vacances scolaires, probably best not to. It's not necessarily the end of the world, but it's necessarily not "quiet".

Whereas e.g. Monterosa will be quiet.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, 40 on the SoPI bash in Serre Chevalier for the past 6 years can't be wrong either.

@VodkaSorbet, French school holidays are finished on 10th March.
latest report
I know you said you don't want a big resort, but I honestly think Val d'Isere/Tignes would be ideal for you (unless you've been there already and didn't like it for some reason). I go every year mid-March and have done for the last ten years. The snow is always excellent, and there are always quiet pistes to be found in the corners of the resort away from the busier sections. Yes there are people about, but the lifts are so efficient there are few queues.

It's huge, varied, challenging and interesting. You can do some wonderfully long runs in Tignes like Sache and the gorgeous pistes from the glacier down Descente and Double M, and you'd love La Face, Foret, Epaule du Charvet and OK in Val.

Worth a look for fast piste skiers...I definitely wouldn't say nearly 60% of the runs are "easy".

Here's La Face de Bellevarde:

latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@VodkaSorbet, I visited Serre Chevalier last year for the first time and fell in love with it. Plenty of skiing to be had, including in Italy, and Serre Che itself restored my faith in rural France, which had been dented by over-exposure to the big domains.

Then you will have to come back.
Very Happy
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
Worth a look for fast piste skiers...I definitely wouldn't say nearly 60% of the runs are "easy".

According to piste-maps.co.uk Espace Killy has 20 Green, 68 Blue, 40 Red, and 26 Black so 57% green and blue. Of course grading can be or seem variable.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, except it's in France and they are more or less planning to be there during vacances scolaires...which would remove it from my consideration given alternatives.
latest report
I think I can feel my ski legs growing back...end of summer and all - although Geneva is enjoying a lovely Indian summer which is most pleasant snowHead
snow report
left field choice - Solda (aka Sulden am Ortler) in Sud Tyrol.

High, spectacular, quiet with some good steeps and big vertical.

If you do a search you'll find a trip report from me from some years ago. Someone (Mikepow?) visited a couple of years ago and wrote anther report. Never met anyone from the UK who has skied there.

Recommended.
snow conditions
@VodkaSorbet, Nendaz and stay at Hotel Les Etagnes, Dutch owned, great family - great fun.....no need to get exposed to normal Swiss rip off, family run boutique type hotel and great food. Lively(ish) terrace/ apres and next to main lift over to Verbier (a couple of ups and downs but pretty quick). Fly into Sion and local bus transfer or into Geneva and train to Sion.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy