Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Bergmeister wrote:
@nelly0168,

We were there last week and I think a 6m snow depth won't be far off the mark.

There was no sign whatsoever of the Haggis Trap (which was completely buried). Does anyone know how deep that is? Puzzled I recall a Mountainaddict ski touring photo of it years ago (in May or June) which showed its depth. Maybe he can dig that out for us? wink

Appreciate that the HT accumulation will be huge due to drifting but it's a bit of a leap from that to them reporting that the main bowl is sitting under 6m of snow!!

In any event, good luck to them and I hope they can extend their season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I think thats a wee bit of artistic licence - or the seasons total !!

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=gc

Depth measured in the Main basin and elsewhere is reported by the Scottish Avalanche service and posted on the left hand side of the page above. I think in 2015 it reached over 8m by the end of April ?

the Haggis trap is over 20 feet deep I think.
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=32278,1106#start
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe today. Much much better snow and much better coverage than Nevis (which I think had wind problems again today) - if only you could see any of it!!! Serious lack of visibility Sad Skullie
Softening to spring conditions, but still well useable and not too much rock or turf exposed, though clearly there'll be more soon.
Didn't venture above Cliffhanger so can't comment about summit runs but suspect they're rather nice (pooh!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wouldn't be surprised at 3 or 4 metres (or more?) snow depth in the Main Basin at Glencoe....We've been up ski touring in May to find big rocky outcrops exposed near the top of the run - we've sat on them for lunch. When we were up there on Easter Sunday they were all just about covered.

The snowless Spring Run is amazing. From the middle down, it's a mass of huge boulders. When you see it, it's hard to believe it can ever be covered enough to ski - needs at least 2m of snow to start covering it.

Disappointed to hear about the sudden demise at Nevis - we were considering a trip up at the weekend as it was so good on the Saturday of easter weekend....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, Nevis is still useable, especially higher up; but get there soon is my opinion. See the webcams on the Winterhighland site and make your own judgment. Just check the wind as they've not been able to run summit tow today ( at least for some times) and had to stop Quad yesterday and even gondola at one point today (per Facebook page).
Glencoe looks viable and thus far has been less to not wind affected; but more cloud... I was wanting to get up and do Happy Valley in particular, as well as others, as when I did it on 7th/8th Jan it was more of a very unhappy narrow, near-vertical chute between two large rock outcrops, with another nice outcrop to hit if you managed to make it to the bottom. A nice easy blue, they said Confused The unlisted red bit after was nice, though. (Edit - having just looked at some photos, I think we took a wrong turn and got Haggis Trapped!) (Double edit - no it wasn't; something similar further out on the same side.)

Oh the joys of Scottish weather and skiing rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-04-18 19:54; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S wrote:
Quote:

I think thats a wee bit of artistic licence - or the seasons total !!

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=gc

Depth measured in the Main basin and elsewhere is reported by the Scottish Avalanche service and posted on the left hand side of the page above. I think in 2015 it reached over 8m by the end of April ?

the Haggis trap is over 20 feet deep I think.
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=32278,1106#start

Ok, fair enough - hands up, looks like I'm wrong Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Fantastic sunny conditions today at the Coe. Should be plenty of snow for sometime yet Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, Glencoe was glorious - just a tad breezy at the top, so the Cliffhanger couldn't run, which was a literal pain for my and Mr G's knees after trying to cram in as many runs as possible.
Very good cover, considering: rock outcrops showing and turf appearing, as are some smaller on-piste flatter rocks, but lovely spring snow to a good-enough depth and pretty much still go where you want down snowfields to the Plateau.
Located the Haggis Trap (which wasn't what I was freaked by in Jan) and can confirm that it is just the mildest dip, as is the Happy Valley Narrows. Canyon is a nice half pipe but steep entry. Thrombosis was weirdly curved today; seemed better yesterday (but then again I couldn't actually see it then!).
Snow is soft and not too crystalline, higher runs hardly even spring. Not pisted in the main, soft enough for the chop not to cause problems, not running overly fast or slow.
Fun fun fun snowHead snowHead snowHead But given the sun today (Panda eyes R us) and forecast rain, I'd get up and play whilst you can. Lots of very pretty waterfalls under the Access Chair.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Turbo thaw being forecast for next week at the moment, so this weekend might be the last chance for a decent slide!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like about 5-10 days of skiing left in Scotland for this season.

Make the most of it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe will be open until the closing date 6th May.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doubt the snow will last that long.

Next week is looking like a beach vacation for Scotland and Northern Europe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn't bet against reports being posted from Glencoe long after the lifts close on the 6th May Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^^Yep!! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vid on Glencoe Facebook page of a boarder bombing down the "banked slalom" course scheduled tomorrow. (Which explains why Thrombosis was looking a bit odd yesterday.) Wish I could do that (on board or skis).
snow conditions
I went to Nevis Range on Friday, and Cairngorm on Saturday. First time skiing in Scotland in many years. Really glad I went.

There was plenty snow at Nevis Range on pistes and although a few places where runs had thin / earthy patches, the snow quality was good. The visibility was poor however but still able to ski.. Cairngorm had great sunshine. Some runs had thin patches, and a few runs were closed but able to ski down to the car park. It was pretty slushy due to the hot weather but was definitely enough snow to have a good days skiing on.
ski holidays
mr thin welcome to sH and thanks for a useful 1st post.
snow report
Glenshee tweeted earlier - thats them shut for the season.
snow conditions
This week will see a turbo thaw sadly.
snow conditions
nelly0168 wrote:
Glenshee tweeted earlier - thats them shut for the season.

Unfortunately - they were expecting to stretch to the coming weekend. I was up on Sunday and it was fantastic - the groomed runs were flattering, the ungroomed were more interesting and the sun was out most of the day. It was disappointing to see so few cars in the carpark, although that meant no queues for lifts, or cafes. All in all, I think they've had a pretty good season.
ski holidays
Glencoe tweeted:

Too windy for Snowsports today but snowpack is holding up really well in the mild wet weather. Still a wide and deep snow cover on all runs....
snow conditions
I think Glencoe could hold out best this year ( maybe top if Cairngorm also?) - really surprising ( or not, given the date!) how quickly Glenshee and Nevis have gone off. Even Cairngorm is having problems on link/ access runs and tows, so I read. Hey ho - but it has indeed been a "mustn't grumble" year Smile
snow conditions
Fantastic spring skiing today at Glencoe

e
snow report
Pics from Winterhighland taken on Saturday.
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1327
The snow should easily last till the Mayday holiday and then some adventure skiing beyond that Laughing
Turning colder this week with potential for a bit more.
What a season.
snow conditions
Glencoe looking good for a visit over the next few days 😀
Might just need to scrape all that wax off the skis then.
snow conditions

Fresh tracks today Cool
snow report
Looks brill.

When is Glencoe closing please?
snow report
@Mike Pow, 7th May is going to be the last day
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
srobbo wrote:

Damn 😞 Thanks

Any weekends after that please?

Anywhere else still open / worth going to?
latest report
Glencoe was lovely Friday morning and I understand there is some Fresh today. Also it's possible to ski tour up the Goose at Nevis which we did Thursday.

I do like Scottish skiing Toofy Grin
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
srobbo wrote:

Damn 😞 Thanks

Glencoe is the last to close...
latest report
Glencoe was excellent today.
ski holidays
Inboard wrote:
Glencoe was excellent today.

Nice one, I'm going again tomorrow. Looks like factor 50 required !
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
srobbo wrote:

Damn 😞 Thanks

Glencoe is the last to close...

Many thanks
snow report
Scorcher today at Glencoe. Lovely snow early on, got a bit chopped up later on as it was so warm.

Really can't complain though !

That's it for the Scottish season, ta ta til December........
snow conditions
@nelly0168, great stuff. I’m hoping for at least one more day out...
snow report
Inboard wrote:
@nelly0168, great stuff. I’m hoping for at least one more day out...

Good luck, it's great !
snow conditions
Although Glencoe is closing the lifts for skiing I seem to recall if the access chairlift is open it's OK for ski mountaineers to go up, needless to say you would have to check with Glencoe. My OH and son were up on Friday and it was worth making an early start to get the fresh snow before it got soft, they left home about 7am and it took them just under 2 hours from Perth due to traffic and roadworks, they may go again this week weather permitting.
snow conditions
Glencoe is fine with tourers going up whenever the Access Chair is open - we've done it 3 or 4 times after the ski season has finished, up until the end of May.

We generally skin up from the snow line to ski the main basin and Spring Run - but have found The Wall almost complete on a couple of occasions.

10 quid return makes it a cheap day out.
ski holidays

And still it keeps on snowing !

the end of the season is getting close however. May bank holiday, Monday the 7th will be the last lift served ski day from a remarkable season in the UK and Europe Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy