Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@larry1950, You tell me where, I'll meet you (as long as the uplift's working) Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@orange, It certainly was a corker of a day today, just got back home, tired and sunburnt.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,4581

Pics from winterhighland yesterday. Fantastic conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Pics from winterhighland yesterday. Fantastic conditions
Indeed. After a foggy/very grey day at Glencoe on Saturday, Nevis Range was just fantastic yesterday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

The car park was busy but the slopes were very quiet and there were no lift queues except a couple of mins for the Summit Tow. We did Summit Gully in the Back Corries for the first time. It was just fantastic - a mini Vallee Blanche! And some fresh tracks too. The only disappointment was that the Braveheart Chair wasn't on - so a 10-15 min hike out.

One of those rare days where a day in Scotland is as good as anywhere in the world!!

On Piste: Empty runs and fantastic views

Back Corries: Fantastic

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Superb photos. Very Happy

The classic shot Carn mor dearg arête and BN behind 👏

Off to Glenshee next weekend. I’m more excited than going out to the Dolomites. Should be some genuinely challenging runs Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Up in aviemore at present. Went up for the afternoon. Vis not great as it was snowing constantly but underfoot the conditions were in the main pretty decent. Some lovely snow, some grippy ice (only in places) and some heavyish snow in places. All in all it was a decent afternoons skiing. Pistes deserted. More snow forecast tomorrow too - the season that keeps giving 😀
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, With the amount of snow already on the mountains and the forecast of more to come you need to check your diary for the first weekend in June, have been trying to remember what year it was that they last had June skiing, Cairngorm had the Ptarmigan tow open, I think with an early get off, we were working the Saturday which was supposed to be a great day unfortunately the Sunday was horrible but we just had to have a go to say we had skied in June.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just thought i would post this pic of cairngorm that i took recently
[img][/img]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In a previous epic snow year (possibly 2010-ish??) Cairngorm set up a rope tow on a big snow patch in the Ptarmigan bowl to offer skiing on midsummer's day Very Happy.

Mrs MA and I made the 600 mile round trip just for the novelty value - though we also skied down the extensive gully over the back of the Ptarmigan (and hiked back out) to make more of a day of it.

Another year - and with the benefit of touring kit - after hiking up, we skied the Ciste Gully on 30th June, which was a Sunday. We were just a bit disappointed that we couldn't get the day off work the next day to ski Scottish snow in July. However, we did ski a 75 metre snow patch over the back of the Ptarmigan one August. It was great fun and kept us amused for a couple of hours after the hike up. (We're easily pleased!! wink )

Glencoe advertised 'summer skiing' one whit week about 20 years ago (yes, we were there!) though has stated that 7th May will be closing day this season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I recall Nevis having Midsummer's Day skiing a few years back (though not open to general public iirc).
I'll keep my diary open Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
18cm of fresh at Cairngorm car park today 😀
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glencoe reporting another half metre this morning.

4th April and we still haven't reached 'peak snow' this year in the UK snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
October 2017 = Scotland orders extensive artificial snowmaking system...

April 2018 = Scotland gets its most natural snowfall this century...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m at the base of Aonach Mor and was last night - heaps of snow here must be at least 40 cm up the hill. Was at Glencoe today and it was epic, tomorrow will be better with more light.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nevis today. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glencoe

snow report
Looks very cool. Been sitting here the last week after getting back from the Monterosa region and really missing the mountains...nearly went up from London tonight on the train just to ride what looks to be some cool terrain in good weather tomorrow.

Love to hear how any of the off piste is out there. Nevis and Glencoe look fun, especially when the snow is good Smile.
snow report
Hitting cairngorm tomorrow. Should be pretty darned good Cool
snow conditions
Look forward to seeing pictures from everyone...sounds like it should be a great day today Smile
snow conditions
Everything conspire does against me today - daughter is to very well and by the time I managed to get her going the car park was full ! Spent a couple of hours nearby sitting in the sun but it the same oh well she’s feeling better so all good. Looked an epic day though
latest report
@boabski, I hope you had a good day at Cairngorm and found the fantastic snow as expected, there seemed to be some holdups at first due in part to the amount of people for the time of year, everyone seemed to have turned up due to the good forecast and snow, I was up in the morning but left as the sun was starting to come through.
ski holidays
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/39849/title/cairngorm/cat/500

Cairngorm was excellent today. Probably the best snow I’ve skied on in Scotland for years and years (admittedly I’m not exactly a regular)

2 people to sell lift tickets which meant about an hour to queue for tickets. 1 person serving coffee in the car park coffee shop (20 min queue for that too). Scotland drives me nuts at times. Forecast was always a few days of snow then sunshine on Thursday - you’d think they’d plan a bit better.

Anyway once on the hill not much in the way of queues and quiet pistes. Vis not great but cleared up nicely around 12. Face well and truly skelped Embarassed

Snow should last pretty well I’d imagine.
latest report
Boabski, you were in the wrong part of Scotland !

The other four centres have a much better reputation for being organised. snowHead
ski holidays
Glad you had a good day @boabski, I prefer to go up to the Ptarmigan cafe for my coffee, much better, the snow is exceptional for this time of year.

Been asked to pass this on for anyone interested.
This weekend Atomic are holding a ski test over at Glencoe,Saturday and Sunday. Next seasons skis will be available to try and also if you fancy trying ski touring there will be a selection of skis and some of the new Hawx Ultra touring boots to try out. The guys from Atomic will be there to help you out give advice etc. Should be a good weekend worth the drive over!
latest report
@Peter S, was staying at a mates house in aviemore (with outdoor jacuzzi Cool )
Think my neighbour might be taking my youngest up to Glencoe or glenshee next week. Might make the trip too
snow report
Quote:
October 2017 = Scotland orders extensive artificial snowmaking system...April 2018 = Scotland gets its most natural snowfall this century...
Er, and your point is??

Another pathetic attempt at taking the p*** out of anything and everything on Snowheads perhaps? Like when you recently advised someone to book flights from London weeks in advance for a Scotland trip as 'conditions are currently excellent' - but knowing full well that (because of the unpredictable climate) it could be foolhardy to do so.

All very sad - yet wholly unsurprising.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Boabski, sounds great. I love Cairngorm......it’s just Natural Retreats and what has happened to the ski area that makes be a bit sad.

Pleased you had a great time. I’m Jealous really - stuck in the office down here Sad

Came across this nice video about skiing in Scotland on Glenshee’s website

http://youtube.com/v/iUCuo2Xt5bk?list=PLRKW1zVpm9DiM2P319EWdc7jbmre-s3VR
ski holidays
I was up at Glenshee yesterday (Thurs). After an initial grey start, a beautiful bluebird day Cool Surprisingly busy, some short queues for most lifts, about 5-10 min queue for tickets, but plenty of room on the slopes.
Snow all over was lovely, and was running very fast, though turned very soft at about 2.30pm under the sun. Choppy by lunchtime, but not full spring snow. Not very deep on Glas Maol, but deep enough and running nicely. (Not powder, certainly.) Plenty to play on, on pisted runs or unpisted sides. Some windslab and 'shiny' packed hard snow (for want of better description) on top and sides Cairnwell but not a problem. Only run I can't comment on was the Cairnwell black...
If they keep on getting more snow it'll stay good. If it melts off it may be gone soon. Yesterday it was visibly melting off all around: the most beautiful scenery of all-around white, icing-sugarded hills on the drive up, and heather and grass on the way back.
ski holidays
read a report on Winterhighland that glenshee expect to remain open till April 15th. after that it will depend on customer demand and snow cover.

Glencoe will be open until may 7th holiday, so more than 4 weeks skiing to go yet Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great skiing at Glenshee today. Every

thing open, new queues and a world of skiing for £30. Superb.

Even had time for a quick tour down the Kander Couloir. Cool
snow report
^^^^That's *pretty impressive Peter S. Don't know Glenshee off piste at all though....Where is it Puzzled

Wouldn't mind a gander at the Kander....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*But not as impressive as me falling through the snow into the river at Yad Moss yesterday rolling eyes.(See Northern Powderhouse report.) Let's just say I wasn't particularly amused.... Laughing
snow report
I was out for a drive with the family today, and we were pootling along the single track road leading to the Strathyre forest lodges (basically the bike path, Callander to Balquhidder).

Saw a guy unloading skis from the back of his car - didnt get the chance to check if they had skins, but wonder if he was about to schlep up toward Ben Ledi (where there were still a fair few stashes by the looks of it).

If anyone on here, fair play - 13 degrees at Loch Lubnaig, so must have been a wierd day, temperature / jacket wise !!
snow report
Fantastic skiing at Glenshee. My best skiing so far this season anywhere.

Get up the next couple of weeks if you can.
snow report
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=318682&Y=780700&A=Y&Z=120

See the arrow. Just east of carn an Turic. Steep, narrow and dramatic. Also potentially a bit
Avalanchy.

Loads and loads of snow around for touring at the moment. Should be good for a while yet.
ski holidays
Corrie Loch Kander.

latest report
Glencoe now reporting over 6m of snow in the Main basin Shocked
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Glencoe now reporting over 6m of snow in the Main basin Shocked

I think thats a wee bit of artistic licence - or the seasons total !!
snow conditions
Nevis Range have posted on Facebook they are closing next week, open then only Thurs, Fri & weekends hopefully to 7th May.
Having been up there today I'll be blinking surprised if they can hold on that long. Can't comment on Back Corries, if even still open: general off-piste cover looks very poor now, more turf than white. Very very spring snow, slush and water in many places. The blue runs by the Quad were just about wide on their top bits and near non-existent below half way. Goose was very wet, heavy, grabby and slippy in equal measure and a most unpleasant fight down (on a board anyway). Summit run about the only nice one left; just. Nothing really groomed now. Beginner areas around Alpha tow really very patchy and horrid. More rain expected tonight Sad (And, claiming high winds Puzzled the quad chair and other tows also shut or not running, Braveheart included.)
ski holidays
That's a shame to hear @Grizzler.

I was up at Nevis on Sunday and it was really excellent. Good cover on all the runs and once the snow had softened up from the freeze the night before there was plenty of excellent untracked spring snow on the slopes between Warrens and the Goose, and around the Quad chair. Things didn't really get too sticky until right at the end of the day.

Sounds like it must have got really warm over the last couple of days. I can't imagine all that snow in the Goose will be gone too quickly though. Perhaps another freeze will sort it out.
snow report
@CathS, It definitely wasn't sticky! Crystalline water more like ( particularly lower down).
I was in Fort William last night and the clock opposite McDonalds said 15 degrees! Said 9 at 5pm today.
snow report
@nelly0168,

We were there last week and I think a 6m snow depth won't be far off the mark.

There was no sign whatsoever of the Haggis Trap (which was completely buried). Does anyone know how deep that is? Puzzled I recall a Mountainaddict ski touring photo of it years ago (in May or June) which showed its depth. Maybe he can dig that out for us? wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy