Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch Airline ceases trading.

Poster: A snowHead
I’m in the office very early as the email tone has been sounding on my mobile phone throughout the night.

I thought it may be useful to clarify the situation regarding “our” bookings.

We DO NOT have any clients booked with Monarch Airlines for the coming winter season.

We have used Monarch Airlines to carry our clients since the early 90’s. Following the financial difficulties they had last winter, we decided NOT to use them in future.

Of course we do know of quite a number of ski groups who were planning to travel to the Brenta Dolomites, Folgarida, Madonna di Campligio, Passo Tonale, Pinzolo, etc. which are mainly UK school ski groups with Monarch bookings. We would suggest that the group leader contact their tour operator as, hopefully, the tour operator will have insurance cover against this situation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Update from the CAA.

All information regarding Monarch Airlines will be posted on this website.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently reading this whilst on a Ryanair plane on the tarmac at Milan Malpensa. No longer feeling quite so sorry for myself as I was
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Currently reading this whilst on a Ryanair plane on the tarmac at Milan Malpensa. No longer feeling quite so sorry for myself as I was

Currently in Andaz hotel Delhi eating brunch. Glad I'm on BA. I could have got others cheaper, but prefer BA if anything goes wrong (except computers that is)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the heads-up. I've just e-mailed any clients who have used Monarch on a flight-only basis to get to Turin in the past.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to see the the government/CAA are repatriating everyone due to fly back to the UK in the next two weeks, even those on flight-only bookings who aren't covered by the ATOL protection.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From what Simon Calder has said on Breakfast TV those who are on holiday should be OK coming home. Those who had yet to go on ATOL protected holidays should get their money back. Those who did a DIY and paid by credit card should get their money back fairly easily. Those who did DIY and paid by debut card can get their money back eventually, but it is quite a messy procedure.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@achilles, not sure there is that clear a route for debit card payers on flight only to get a refund.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some holidays may get messed up by this, but I just got off the phone with a Monarch pilot driving to his meeting with KPMG, he's not in the happiest place.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
KPMG have said there is little chance of selling Monarch as a business (as it's been for sale for a while and no one has bitten). The routes will be worth a fair bit though, and as long as Monarch is in administration not liquidation then KPMG can sell them instead of them reverting to the CAA to reallocate (I think).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
From what Simon Calder has said on Breakfast TV those who are on holiday should be OK coming home. Those who had yet to go on ATOL protected holidays should get their money back. Those who did a DIY and paid by credit card should get their money back fairly easily. Those who did DIY and paid by debut card can get their money back eventually, but it is quite a messy procedure.

The bill for next winters package with Crystal will land next month and I'm now far more inclined to pay by credit card and just swallow the 2% surcharge. Last time for this racket as its illegal to surcharge from next January anyway? Actually I wonder, given that departure is after the new law takes effect, if I can claim it would be illegal to surcharge? Worth a try Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Difficult times for the staff at Monarch. I had the heads up earlier this morning from a friend who works in the communication side of Monarch. He was being whisked off to be told the company had gone bust.

As for me...
Back hunting for flights it seems... and as I am a DIY debit card payer... I wont be expecting to see that £160 for a while!

achilles wrote:
"...Those who did DIY and paid by debit card can get their money back eventually, but it is quite a messy procedure..."

Anyone got any shape on this procedure?

midgetbiker wrote:
@achilles, not sure there is that clear a route for debit card payers on flight only to get a refund.

Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They were still sending emails out last week trying to sell flights, I've just checked and I received mails on Monday, Wednesday and Friday! Surely they must've known then they'd be calling in the receivers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@897sma, as a business if you are in trouble the last thing you do is stop trying to sell. You keep going until it becomes clear it's not working. Which for Monarch was over this last weekend. They then had to wait until 4am as it was the only slot they had with no flights in the air globally for the administrators to take over (as the administrators are not licensed to operate flights).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will be interesting to see what happens as quite alot of smaller ski companies use Monarch or at least my last 3 holidays as their carrier e.g Ski Val. Ski Miquel, silverski
latest report
@letsgetpiste, if you paid with a debit card then afaik it's holiday insurance, then maybe if you have a 'premium' bank account with some protection, then hopefully some other avenue, because if not it's join the list of unsecured creditors (after the administrators, staff, HMRC, secured creditors, etc).

But that is afaik, so I hope I'm wrong.
snow report
Grim for those affected.

I ran a small chalet company in the 90s and our principal air carrier was Air Europa...got to the office one morning to find it had gone bust. A busy day. Thankfully our option with them was pay as you go or we’d have been bust too.

A mate is a pilot, flying for them. His day was somewhat worse.
snow report
letsgetpiste wrote:
Difficult times for the staff at Monarch. I had the heads up earlier this morning from a friend who works in the communication side of Monarch. He was being whisked off to be told the company had gone bust.

As for me...
Back hunting for flights it seems... and as I am a DIY debit card payer... I wont be expecting to see that £160 for a while!

achilles wrote:
"...Those who did DIY and paid by debit card can get their money back eventually, but it is quite a messy procedure..."

Anyone got any shape on this procedure?

midgetbiker wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Debit card chargeback scheme
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, re chargeback:

"Flight purchase: In the case of an airline going bust after you've booked a flight, the breach of contract would be from the day the flight was due to depart. However, if an airline had told you at an earlier date that the flight would not be going ahead, the breach of contract that allows for chargeback would not apply."
ski holidays
@robboj, I think your Crystal booking, assuming it is a package, is. covered by ATOL, so you would be OK
snow report
robboj wrote:
achilles wrote:

The bill for next winters package with Crystal will land next month and I'm now far more inclined to pay by credit card and just swallow the 2% surcharge. Last time for this racket as its illegal to surcharge from next January anyway? Actually I wonder, given that departure is after the new law takes effect, if I can claim it would be illegal to surcharge? Worth a try Puzzled

In your specific circumstance the Crystal bill will be ATOL protected anyway, so isn't debit card fine?
snow report
@jtr, sorry, jinx, hadn't refreshed my page and seen your post.
snow conditions
Kind of related post...Using Paypal, even with a linked credit card doesn't give you the same protection as using the Credit Card directly.
ski holidays
@robboj, what's the 'racket' in a credit card surcharge? Credit cards cost the payee more than debit cards. Why should they absorb it unless legally necessary? They may want to do so in the cause of customer relations, but I can understand them not wishing to do so. Monarch didn't charge the surcharge, OTOH Monarch went bust.
ski holidays
If you google it you can find many previous airline failures where the Chargeback scheme has been successfully used by customers.

Google suggests that you're in a stronger position with Credit Cards/ Section 75 because you could (for example) claim for the cost of replacement flights. Chargeback is precisely that - you get back what you paid, no more.

As for the procedure - ask your bank and they'll send you a form which is about 1 side of A4. It's not messy or difficult.
latest report
robboj wrote:
The bill for next winters package with Crystal will land next month and I'm now far more inclined to pay by credit card and just swallow the 2% surcharge.

You can probably only do this if paying at a travel agents rather than online, but pay a minimum of £100 (IIRC) by credit card, the rest by debit and you get the CC protection for the whole amount. I usually pay this way.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:
@letsgetpiste, if you paid with a debit card then afaik it's holiday insurance...

Just exploring this option now with Coverwise. I always have a year round travel insurance policy but *touches wood* up till now, I've not had to make claims!
latest report
A lot of individuals are going to be badly affected: Monarch staff and Monarch suppliers Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michael O'Leary will be rubbing his hands with glee - all those pilots needing a job just when he needs pilots but dont smiel too widely Michael they will probably only stay with you as long as it takes to get a job with a real airline with prooper terms and conditions, a decent salary and a career future.
snow conditions
Quote:

robboj wrote:

The bill for next winters package with Crystal will land next month and I'm now far more inclined to pay by credit card and just swallow the 2% surcharge.

You can probably only do this if paying at a travel agents rather than online, but pay a minimum of £100 (IIRC) by credit card, the rest by debit and you get the CC protection for the whole amount. I usually pay this way.

Good approach for extra protection. Aren't package holidays covered for a refund anyway, assuming they have ATOL licence? Or have I misunderstood?
snow report
intermediate wrote:
Aren't package holidays covered for a refund anyway, assuming they have ATOL licence? Or have I misunderstood?

My understanding is that ATOL just gets you the flight home in cases such as this.
snow report
FFIRMIN wrote:
Michael O'Leary will be rubbing his hands with glee - all those pilots needing a job just when he needs pilots but dont smiel too widely Michael they will probably only stay with you as long as it takes to get a job with a real airline with prooper terms and conditions, a decent salary and a career future.

I listened to the telephone interview with an ex ryanair pilot, Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@FFIRMIN, the pilots would need to be converted to Boeing’s, and then I am guessing they would have to serve time as First officers before they became captains. Maybe some would have 737 experience in the past, in which case I suspect transition would be easier.

There is at least a temporary glut of pilots and and cabin crew on the market, I suppose. Very sad for all the staff involved. Sad
snow conditions
@letsgetpiste, it may depend on your debit card, you may be able to request a chargeback by contacting your bank.
latest report
The Monarch pilots have been receiving emails from various overseas airlines for a while, promoting their recruitment roadshows.

Clearly ever since the re-structure 3 years ago the writing has been on the wall in the opinion of some.
latest report
philwig wrote:
If you google it you can find many previous airline failures where the Chargeback scheme has been successfully used by customers.

Google suggests that you're in a stronger position with Credit Cards/ Section 75 because you could (for example) claim for the cost of replacement flights. Chargeback is precisely that - you get back what you paid, no more.

As for the procedure - ask your bank and they'll send you a form which is about 1 side of A4. It's not messy or difficult.

But doesn't chargeback rely on the customer's bank requesting the money back from the supplier's bank? That's all well and good if the money is there (in the case of a trading business) but not if it isn't. If it isn't then surely you are just an unsecured creditor.
snow report
FFIRMIN wrote:

The Monarch pilot I spoke to said he would rather "boil himself in acid". So I don't think he's considering Ryanair as an option.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, I think O'leery has bigger issues than he's letting on anyway, he cant afford the ones he's got.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
@robboj, what's the 'racket' in a credit card surcharge? Credit cards cost the payee more than debit cards. Why should they absorb it unless legally necessary? They may want to do so in the cause of customer relations, but I can understand them not wishing to do so. Monarch didn't charge the surcharge, OTOH Monarch went bust.

I imagine businesses will circumvent this bit of unnecessary Govt interference by applying the same (undisclosed) charge to all card sales. Another hollow 'victory' for the consumer?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@letsgetpiste, it may depend on your debit card, you may be able to request a chargeback by contacting your bank.

Picked this up from "Which"
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-to-make-a-chargeback-claim

Might be use to some people on here!!

I've booked replacement flights (on my credit card!!)

Quote:

[Your address]

[Debit/ Credit card company address]

Dear [customer services manager's name],

Claim under Visa Chargeback Scheme rules –

I am writing to you in connection with the purchase of [insert details] on [date] from [details of seller]. I enclose the following documentation which provides details of the transaction:

[List documents e.g. invoices, receipts, details of estimated delivery dates that you are submitting with the Chargeback claim.]

I paid for [insert details] using my [insert supplier name] [debit] [credit] card.

The total cost of [insert details] was [£xx].

In breach of contract [insert details of the problem – see our guide to Chargeback for details of what can and can't be claimed using Chargeback].

The transaction for the purchase of [insert details] was less than 120 days ago and accordingly, I am writing to request a refund of the above amounts under the Chargeback Scheme rules.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours sincerely,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy