Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting stoked

Poster: A snowHead
So there is a chill in the air in the morning and darkness comes down like in the tropics all signs that we past the equinox and winter is deffo coming.

Should I be getting more stoked? My stoke level is pretty low probably as a result of a very disappointing* trip to kick off the season over last Xmas. Does stoke only really rise with proven snowfall? What does the stoke/anxiety curve look like?

* Great holiday went some cool places , did a lot less skiing than I was planning.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's funny, I've a trip in Jan booked already but am nowhere near as excited about it as I usually am, and I don't know why.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not very stoked either. Would normally plan to go to Tignes in November but the current conditions and the cost of a lift pass are putting me off. A lift pass even for two weeks is more than the season pass that I will get for elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a tingling but that's enough about my bowel problem.

We are going at Christmas as per and so will soon be booking a tunnel crossing and apartment - so that always gets me a bit stoked. But then it is still 3 months away.

Also, my head is telling me next season can't be as good as the last.... can it....?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I live in a permanent state of stoke, which clearly emanates from me at all times.

Have a trip booked to PDS over new year (would prefer to go a week or two later, but work gets in the way) and still in the process of booking other things, so the stoke is rising. Plus I've been watching skiing films and old GoPro clips so that always helps. But TBH I enjoy being in the mountains so much that even the times I've been without great snow have still been fantastic. Take last year, NY in La Plagne and spent two days stuck in the flat because it was raining, but also had two of the best days skiing ever (for me personally, probably not in the history of the world).

Having said that, true stoke definitely has a correlation with snowfall.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are getting to stoked I would say.

Chalet is booked and flights paid for. So maybe at Stoked-con 4. Will be booking the hire car and pay off the chalet next month. That'll be Stoked-con 3.
Treating myself to a new ski jacket for Xmas, that'll nudge it up to Stoked-con 2.
Lift pass booking a week before. Stoked-con 1. Holiday related over excitement imminent.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had the best ( and earliest ) start to the season last year with some grrrrrreat conditions mid December. I have one week in the bank already, I'm just about to pull the trigger on flights for another trip, and the 3rd jaunt is all cleared with the Operations Director ( Mrs Timberwolf ). Fair to say my stoke level is on the rise........ ( but agreed that the current weather conditions help ie bright, cool mornings - I had to scrape the car windscreen the other morning Shocked )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5th Jan Canazie booked.

Yay
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trying not to think about this season otherwise I’ll suffer an overstoke.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Being a relative beginner who is already totally addicted to skiing, I'm permanently stoked. I even get stoked when I know I'm going to the CFe (sad I know). Most evenings I can be found watching skiing videos on YouTube. I approached the last BB with a degree of excitement and trepidation. Excitement as it was my first skiing holiday; trepidation because I was unsure what to expect at a Snowheads Bash, or how I would fair on a real mountain. Now I know what to expect and how brilliant they are; my excitement at the prospect of the next BB is off the scale. Some more gear bought (well, it was shiny and a bargain my precious). Insurance bought. Flights booked. Just waiting impatiently for the buttons. Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
I’m as stonkingly stoked as an engine stoker with a degree in stoking from the university of Stoke Poges.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf wrote:
- I had to scrape the car windscreen the other morning Shocked )

Just chuck some water over it. Save you having to scrape it. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awdbugga you have got access to some good skiing just up the valley from you, above Dolgarrog.

The eastern side of the Carneddau is one of the most reliable places for snow holding in Wales or England. You normally have to carry your skis a bit to get there though. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Awdbugga you have got access to some good skiing just up the valley from you, above Dolgarrog.

The eastern side of the Carneddau is one of the most reliable places for snow holding in Wales or England. You normally have to carry your skis a bit to get there though. Laughing

I didn't know that. But are there any rifugios that serve hot chocolate though? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not yet, too early for me to sustain any level of excitement. Anticipation doesn't really get to me until I'm driving out at the beginning of December, nomally when I'm at Eurotunnel in Folkestone, when the thought "this is it, here we go again Happy" often spontaneously appears.
latest report
Quote:
I didn't know that. But are there any rifugios that serve hot chocolate though? wink

There is Dulyn bothy, but you’d have to take your own hot chocolate !
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jixxer/8664778368
snow conditions
Very stoked for a big 2019.
Coming all the way from Oz to visit Europe for the first time ever from just before Christmas to mid January. If there’s snow we plan to ski in Zillertal, Dolomites and Aosta area with some tourist stuff in between. If no snow it will be tourist stuff only.
For our ‘gauranteed’ Ski trip we’ll be in Whistler mid March (without kids).
We’ll do a mini break in Southern Hemisphere winter to the Aussie or NZ hills and then Japan late December 2019.
I’m thinking of setting up a go fund me page. Very Happy
ski holidays
I got myself so stoked I couldn't sleep - first time since the night before Christmas aged about 5* - the day I booked my first trip of the season, at the end of August. It hasn't really subsided since then.

* I'm 32.
snow conditions
I'm right on one. Booked for "Japanuary" this year so snow dancing has commenced in the emerald isle.
ski holidays
Getting there
- some bright orange salopettes bought and new (to me) skis
- Oct issue of Ski and Snowboard arrived today
- Going to the ski show
- planning to buy new boots for birthday
- Xmas trip booked for a first venture in the Dolomites (although still not settled on which resort. Arrgh get on with it!)

So its all coming together, and I'm sure I saw a touch of frost in Hyde Park this morning.....
snow report
Totally stoked as I'll have continuous mid Nov to May skiing this year... counting down the days Toofy Grin
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
Totally stoked as I'll have continuous mid Nov to May skiing this year... counting down the days Toofy Grin

Does that include an EOSB week?
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
I’m as stonkingly stoked as an engine stoker with a degree in stoking from the university of Stoke Poges.

Laughing
latest report
Awdbugga wrote:
..Some more gear bought (well, it was shiny and a bargain my precious)...

Uh-oh, what have you got now? Save some money for snacks in the rifugios snowHead
snow report
Stoked because I'm sitting on a mountain at the moment and the snow is pretty good

Less stoked because in 2 weeks time, it will be the end of the 2018 season for me

Stoked because I'll be in Europe in January
ski holidays
Wow, some serious stoking going on. Like @rob@rar, I tend not to get stoked until I'm on my way to the first destination. Still, the bookings are going pretty well, a week in Val d'Isere, a week in Corvara and the flights for preBB/BB already in the bag. And quite a few IOS sessions booked at Hemel between now and Christmas, to get my ski legs going.
latest report
@sbooker, Wow!
snow report
marodo2712 wrote:
@sbooker, Wow!

It's sort of my 'long service' as I clock up 30 years in 2019. And definitely not my usual plan of attack.
Hats off to all the seasonaires out there though. They don't have to go home to work in between.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's always around this time of year I start (read: constantly) talk about snow trips... wife actually commented the other day saying that she was surprised, considering the amount of new kit that has been turning up I've not been yapping at her about it rolling eyes

I'm really excited. TBH, I tend to use up most of my annual leave in Jan / Feb (although stretching it out to March this year).. I started boarding & then skiing fairly late in my life (grew up abroad, in a hot country so never really had the opportunity to experience it!). Wife got me into it 10 odd years ago. Bet she regrets it now Laughing

We've started our kids skiing young, I think they were 4 & 5 - we've been skiing with them for the past 4/5 years I think - and at least for now they're on my side in terms of wanting to go skiing all the time, so they'll put up with me watching videos/clips of crazy lines&runs!

So yeah, STOKED++!!
snow report
Didn't get excited last winter because I didn't plan anything in advance (and ended up not skiing much - time flew past!)

This year i've booked 3 trips already so can't wait Laughing

2-3 weeks in Japan, Jan-Feb

1 week at Skiers Lodge in La Grave in March (been wanting to try this for a while)

1 week ski touring the Haute Route in April (did it on foot last summer, epic trip but most of the time I was thinking "this would be better on skis"!)

Also very tempted by some new skis/touring kit for this season...
snow conditions
Stoke - verb

to add fuel to a large fire and move the fuel around with a stick so that it burns well and produces a lot of heat;

to encourage bad ideas or feelings in a lot of people.

Very Happy
ski holidays
I do same every year, get all excited and book all my trips for the early half of the season, then leaving my wondering how I can get away with a 7th trip in March!
ski holidays
Derek 'The Weather' Brockway has called a cold start to the Welsh winter with snow possible in late November, early December.

Bring on the birthday turns Smile
snow conditions
I'm not stoked at all. I'm anti-stoked. I took a job on for the next 12 months which will more or less prohibit skiing at all.

I'm hoping I might get a short (<week) trip to Japan MAYBE. And if I can make that work without any hassle, I might be able to talk them into a second. But it's all hypothetical right now so I'm a bit sad really.
snow report
Good grief, Guys: its still September! Not even half term yet. Still summer sun time, t-shirt weather, open top cars and outdoor drinking.

Agree with Hurtle and rob@rar: no stoking until at least end of November (when finally get round to buying lift pass in a panic)
snow conditions
@Jonpim, relax.. it's just a mild stoking start.... well, mostly... Very Happy Laughing Little Angel
ski holidays
No stoke here yet, more a junkie craving for big hills and strenuous exercise (though have just given up smoking, that could be to blame...) Eyeing up some weekend hiking in the UK to stave off the jitters and get fitter. I reckon stoke will happen beginning of December if it turns out there will be snow for our Christmas market foray to Italy allowing a bonus couple of days of ski. snowHead
ski holidays
Stoking deffo started in our house. We manage to get a vicarious back to back season stoking via our very stoked Southern Hemisphere correspondent (see below)*
Earliest ever preseason dreams have been dreamt;
Flames fuelled regularly by watching film clips by highly stoked freeriding ski dude coach/son* finishing off his winter in NZ;

Posh stoking session booked in Zermatt in mid November for 3 days,
Chalet rental deposit paid...
Bring it on!!! Very Happy
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Got new skis off of @Spyderjon's Scouse Ski Emporium, and 1st October is Buy New Ski Pass at Cheapskate Rate day, the first snow of the season has been and gone, and every drinking sesh is accompanied by "look at this what we skied last season and then he fell over" videos on tiny phones. So yeah, it's gotta be soon, right?

@Perty, he's been keeping my Insta feed cold the entire summer, the jammy so and so. Looked like fun though Cool
snow report
@Scarlet, how much is the Freizeitticket on cheapskate day? Worth it for anyone who might visit for a couple of weekends?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy