Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, who will win the Olympic men's downhill?

Poster: A snowHead
The stage is set. The 2006 Winter Olympic downhill is on Sunday at Sestriere. The first training run (won by Daron Rahlves on Thursday) was followed by a second training run on Friday (won by Klaus Kroell of Austria), which Rahlves did not attend. A third training run is scheduled for Saturday.

This report from SkiRacing.com

The course is considerably more 'technical' than many expected of Sestriere - plenty of jump action. The air of satisfaction from the world's elite speed merchants is noticeable. Graham Bell, former Olympican, reported 'sheet ice' at the top of the course in his BBC preview screened on Friday.

The pundits are busy speculating on whether Rahlves can pull it off. Here is a piece by Devin Gordon for Newsweek on the Rahlves - Miller rivalry: the US would certainly like to bring home the medal, but ...

... What about the Austrians?

And where is Britain's Finlay Mickel going to place. Within the top ten? Better than Martin Bell's famous 8th in Calgary, 1988?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-02-06 13:26; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marco Brunel, Michael Wahlcoffer !!! and Darren Ralhves - In that order.

Finley to attain top 10.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ralhves. Then any two Austrians. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buechel, Maier, Miller with Mickel in the top 7 ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't see past The California Kid. It would be wonderful if Finlay places in the top ten.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[Training run results can be accessed on This FIS page. The third and final training run is in progress, so the results should be posted up this afternoon]
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buechel, Walhoffer,Maier, Ralhves, Buder, Miller, Mickel in that order (possibly)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was plenty of jousting for start numbers in the final training. Reports:

Yahoo! News ... SkiRacing.com

How much will start numbers influence the result?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How much will start numbers influence the result?

really depends on a number of things, how stable the course temp is does it rise or drop over the lenght of the event, does the line become slicker with use, who has been down prior and gives radio info back up the hill, how pissed miller (and anyone with him) gets tonight
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ralhves
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Noel baxter is apparently in it! 3.5 ish seconds behind Finlay, who must have been somewhat disappointed to be out of the top 30. Roger Cruikshank sems to have been disqualified in the final training run, but the Aussies seem to be doing remarkably well.

I would have a small E/W bet on ghedina to pull something off. that would be a great swan song.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
Noel baxter is apparently in it! 3.5 ish seconds behind Finlay, who must have been somewhat disappointed to be out of the top 30. Roger Cruikshank sems to have been disqualified in the final training run, but the Aussies seem to be doing remarkably well.

I would have a small E/W bet on ghedina to pull something off. that would be a great swan song.

Not sure whether Finlay's time was tactical or him going flat out, but there were a lot of racers who braked heavily before crossing the finish line in the final training run. Start list for tomorrow has Finlay starting at 2, Strobl at 4, Walchhofer 10, Maier 15, Miller 18 and Rhalves 20. Not sure if these start numbers bear any relation to the qualifying times - calculation of the start list is a mystery to me!

I don't think that Noel Baxter is racing - he doesn't appear in the start list. Cruickshank starts at 33.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks as if Bode almost slalomed the run-in to the finish! Virtually a second slower than anyone else over this short section - having had the fastest splits through much of the race, he as good as pulled up to finish back in twelfth equal.

The training runs are purely tactical these days. Bit annoying really.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why would you want to race later??? Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rahlves
snow report
Looks like there are some interesting competitors taking part other than the usual suspects. Towards the back of the field racers who have barely crept under the 100 FIS point mark in the discipline will be lucky to get to the bottom within 10 seconds of the winner. On a technical course I hope they don't get too carried away Confused ... Some don't seem to have even raced a FIS downhill this season.
ski holidays
Rahlves.Miller will either ski a blinder,or make a complete pigs ear of it.He's managed to place himself behind a couple of big guns;but Rahlves follows him.He(Rahlves)is out of it after this season,and will be looking for the blaze of glory.Its possible only the Austrians could spoil his party?
Finlay,would dearly love him to do well.A top ten place is always on the cards but,going second,he has little to aim at(other than the clock)and little to inspire him.He will put in a solid performance,but the likes of Miller and Rahlves will 'bust their guts'.Thats the difference.
snow conditions
Kroell, Buechel, Rahlves... but not necessarily in that order.
ski holidays
Wouldn't write off the Olympic champion Strobl despite his unplanned early start. Just occasional all the tactical training runs can rebound on competitors, though the preferred start bibs are around 10 to 15 today. It could be really close, there are plenty of racers in with a chance in a one-off race like this. That's the beauty of the Olympics, it can produce a real surprise occasionally....
snow report
20 minutes ago 2 helicopters landed in the field at the bottom of my garden and picked up the Swiss team!
snow conditions
chris, they'd been sleeping in a field? I know the Swiss Fed has been cash-strapped recently, but all the same...
snow report
PG, they have been staying in a hotel in Monetier (2 miles from here). The helicopters are on there 3rd trip now ferrying the stragglers.
ski holidays
Hot tip from a man on the spot? Hermann Maier... (Echoed by Luc Alphand too apparently)
latest report
So no takers for Finlay to come storming down to surprise everyone at bib no. 2 and set a pace no on can match?! Laughing
snow report
chris, are they all fairies or gnomes? wink
ski holidays
Much as I'd love Finlay to get a podium position, it's not going to happen, I think he'd be happy with a top 10 place which if he pulls all the stops out he could just manage, Rahlves has been really good this year and has to be in with a good chance of getting the gold, Miller could be on the podium but only if he doesn't crash or do something equally stupid, likewise no one should right off the Herminator, his willpower alone give him a good chance of getting that gold medal
ski holidays
No medal for Finaly then............ down into fourth
snow report
rahlves now on course - likely to be better than miller - but we'll see!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well didn't make it... so a european winner!!!!
ski holidays
Wow! Deneriaz!!
snow conditions
wow - what a finish!
snow conditions
What happened? I was recovering from a party with booze, lol.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,

From nowhere..!!!
ski holidays
The underdog came through. Congratulations to those concerned, it's never over till the fat lady sings. it was no small margin on a tracked out course either. (Don't want to give away results).
latest report
Where'd he find that speed?!
snow report
Considering he'd had his knee put back together just over a year ago as well, amazing performance. He didn't put a ski wrong from top to bottom.
snow report
slikedges,

Dunno, he just got faster and faster
snow conditions
PG, , I can't find that original quote of yours on the medal table Cool What an incredible run , and to his credit not a one-run wonder this week .... even if his results haven't been great this year ...
ski holidays
aww, I did feel sorry for Walchoffer though, I would have been happy for him to have won it - a nice guy!
snow report
Excellent race. Well worth getting up early for....
And my I also congratulate the commentary team, especially after the bashing one of them has been getting elsewhere...
David Vine? Gimmie a break...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy